Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
It is a nice bumper, but they are not available for public purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That bumper looks awsome. I like it better then the 4.7 Bumper but thats just my opinion. I like how the bumper and the fender flares meet.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The AEV bumper looks more industrial, IMHO it makes the vehicle look rugged but not like a 40K lux vehicle.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It is pretty nice, but you still can't buy one.

I do like how it meets with the fender flare too.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love the way the skid plate is all tied into the bumper as one, and also the hidden winch. Now thats worth $859.00 *hint**hint*!! Somebody needs to copy that design and hook it up man. And sell it just like it is in the pics with the fairlead and the tow hooks and not charge extra for those basic "extras". But god bless 4.7 because without him are options would be ZERO in the way of aftermarket bumper.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
maybe you should calculate steel, plasma cutting, metal forming, electricity, rent, plus my welding equimtent and the countless hours i spent developing parts. and hoping you can make a couple dollars off something you are building. the metal alone for the bumpers i build is over $500. so you tell me how i can add other parts for free.

did you also know that the shipping is a flat rate and built in on my website. i'm losing money on shipping because its so damn expensive but i wanted to make it as affordable as i could. i know everything should be free, but i can't make them free. sorry.

if you guys wonder why no one else will build you stuff. i've spent over $8000 to develop the bumper. so you guys who can't weld and fabricate can have a bolt on bumper.

go ahead and find a bolt on bumper for the commander. go ahead and find a bolt on bumper that has a hidden winch for the commander.

are those crickets i hear chirping. yes.

oh yeah, where is the price for that bumper that isn't even in the united states. did yo check out the license plates? i have a skid plate incorporated into the bumper.

you can purchase a piece of steel that is flat for the JK, stick that on the front and look awesome. it takes two seconds to build a bumper for a vehicle with a frame. and no body contouring.

and while i'm at it i'll change the whole design of my bumper because its so easy to do. i have tons of money laying around to come up with 20 designs to fit your needs.

alright, i'm done. i'm a little pissed. but thats okay. i'll work on other stuff.

this isn't a personal attack on anyone. i just get really frustrated with all the time i have spent on these because people really wanted one. and i have spent a lot of time on this product.

datwistedscorpio said:
I love the way the skid plate is all tied into the bumper as one, and also the hidden winch. Now thats worth $859.00 *hint**hint*!! Somebody needs to copy that design and hook it up man. And sell it just like it is in the pics with the fairlead and the tow hooks and not charge extra for those basic "extras". But god bless 4.7 because without him are options would be ZERO in the way of aftermarket bumper.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
my bumper does meet up with the fender flares. take a look at the pictures of my bumper.

that bumper is basically the same thing as mine.

07JeepXK said:
That bumper looks awsome. I like it better then the 4.7 Bumper but thats just my opinion. I like how the bumper and the fender flares meet.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Plus I'd rather support a forum member here who's poured his time and money into developing a product for us. When I have the spare cash, I'm sending him some and making a road trip to Cody for installation.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I prefer the 4.7 bumper and I think the AEV bumper (which might as well be non-existent because it can't be bought by anyone) looks almost exactly like 4.7s. It almost looks like they copied his design and through in some other things. But, I digress. The 4.7 bumper is awesome and I can't wait to drive down to get mine.

I understand 4.7s frustration here in that he filled a need with hard work, time, and money, and - at this point - isn't seeing a lot of return. I know that looking back through the build posts there were a great number of people who not only expressed interest, but said they would get one. Now, I'm not saying there was any kind of contract or anything like that and people are often prone to talking bigger than they can afford, but still a man is only as good as his word.

Buying from 4.7 I am at least assured of a very well thought out product, tested on a vehicle in real-world conditions, and 100% American made. I am also very sure that if any issues arise, I can work directly with the manufacturer to fix it. You will never get that level of customer care from AEV or anyone else.

Bottom line is that at this time there are ABSOLUTELY ZERO other winch bumpers you can buy for your Commander - except for the 4.7. AEV and everyone may put together their own bumpers and advertise pretty pictures, but I doubt you'll see one on the market - ever.

</rant>

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
While yes, it is a nicely designed bumper on that Cape Town South African Commander, when I Google for "XK Steel Bumper" all I found for a production bumper was Get Lost 4x4 at the top of the list. From time to time you will see custom mods that are a one up and may tickle your fancy, but the reality is, there is only one XK steel bumper in production today in the USA with no others on the drawing board from AEV or ARB.

I am looking forward to getting my steel Get Lost 4x4 bumper installed on my XK especially after my last weekend trip to Pagosa Springs, CO. And I plan to color match it to my metalic silver so I am sure it will look just like the Cape Town's Commander.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I prefer the 4.7 bumper and I think the AEV bumper (which might as well be non-existent because it can't be bought by anyone) looks almost exactly like 4.7s.
I highly doubt that is an AEV bumper on that Cape Town XK. Anyone in the world can go to AEV and post a pick of their vehicle on the Flickr account. I did it back in September 07 when AEV opened that Flickr account as a49er found out. So some guy in South Africa had some shop make a one up for his front and rear bumpers and posted on AEV Flickr account and all of a sudden, AEV is producing XK steel bumpers...NOT. :rolleyes:

However, 4.7 was looking for ideas on the rear bumper...well I really like Cape Town's rear bumper so I suggest reverse engineer that one 4.7 and put it into production! Notice the swing out tire arm on the drivers rear side. And it looks like they put 2 rear sensors in.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Now THAT is a good idea - reverse engineer the rear bumper and sell it sooner without all the extra time in designing it yourself! Thats what the Chinese would do!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
4.7: I can understand your frustration with whoever's mentioning that you should change your design. But you have to also understand that, while you are the first that we know of to actually put designs into production, you will have competition eventually. And some people will like that design over yours. Dig?

Just keep on doing what you're doing. You're making a lot of people happy!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I would not buy a bumper with a winch from 4.7 or AEV or anyone else, it's not what I need.

That being said, 4.7, you will receive criticism and perceived criticism from time to time. The down side to this, most everyone here has seen this from the start and are offering advice. Not necesarrily criticism, everyone here wants you to suceed.

From reading all the posts here, take pride in the comments that everyone has made. I am impressed with your desire and implementation to do something no one else has.

Now, to pick on the white S/A Commander....did you notice the color variation between the jeep and the bumper? It doesnt match. If you are going to go with white, they have to match.....otherwise, it needs to be black.

I am betting the person saw your drawing and sketches and duplicated them. For your protection, I would suggest you delete any of you schmetatics drawings and plans from the forum, if you haven't already done so.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Phunkeydude said:
I highly doubt that is an AEV bumper on that Cape Town XK. Anyone in the world can go to AEV and post a pick of their vehicle on the Flickr account. I did it back in September 07 when AEV opened that Flickr account as a49er found out. So some guy in South Africa had some shop make a one up for his front and rear bumpers and posted on AEV Flickr account and all of a sudden, AEV is producing XK steel bumpers...NOT. :rolleyes:
X2...... I don't think that anyone will begin one especially since the XKs are coming to an end production wise.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts