Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, I thought I would drop a post in here and join the community seeing as I just picked up a 2006 3.0 V6 CRD Commander with 132000 miles.

I have been looking for a Jeep for about 12 months now, they seem to be few and far between for a good one in the UK which doesn't cost an absolute bomb. I found the Commander that I looked at today on Facebook. It didn't have a service book BUT it does have numerous receipts for service work, tyres, oil changes, transmission oil changes etc. The people who owned it previously had the garage do almost everything so Im hoping I haven't picked up a lemon but you only time will tell I guess....

The Nav system was working when he put it up for sale but when I went to view it it had died so he knocked some more off for that and so I was happy to get it for £3500. Its done 132000 miles and the interior is in very good nick with only the rear bumper being cracked on the exterior. After I paid the guy the Passenger side handle stopped working, not great but not the end of the world. Obviously I need to do something with the Nav system so maybe look at another unit to put in there, it has the black screen but the sound works.

The best bit? Im driving the hours journey back and I start to loose power, pull over and there is oil dripping everywhere...its at this moment I start to feel like I've just got on a roller coaster, I was bricking it...massively! I've got some tools with me so I took the engine cover off and I see what the issue is really expecting the worst and guess what....I hadn't fully replaced the filler cap when I checked it for moisture and the oil had been chucking out of the top of the cap. Thankfully I had only dropped the level down to the dipstick but on the flip side, I've now covered my very tidy engine bay in oil and its all sprayed over the underside and up the back of my Jeep 🤦‍♂️ I've been working on Cars for the last 20 years and never done anything so stupid lol, what can you do 🤷‍♂️ No harm no foul I guess!

There are a couple other small issues with it..
  • The drivers electrical seat adjustment is missing the cover so that needs replacing.
  • I fixed the pass door handle but the little plastic clip that clips into the handle is on the way out as that's why the wire slipped off so will need to replace that clip if I can.
  • Pass side sun visor clip has broken.
  • The drivers door is missing a couple of the pop rivets for the bottom and for the moment, that's about it. For...the....moment lol.

One thing that does blow my mind is how quiet the engine is compared to the 2.4 on my XC90, its like night and day! Super smooth as well, especially when the oil is topped up and not leaking everywhere 🤣

Ive taken a bit of a risk with the Commander, I had planned to pick up a 4.0 WJ but the Mrs really wanted the 7 seats and the diesel.

I went from being massively excited to bricking it in the space of about a minute so still trying to deal with that but Im hoping I've got a nice vehicle here. We had the XC90 before and did a bit of off roading, a lot of camping and canoeing with the kids so fingers crossed this should be an awesome option for us...as long as I don't kill it first lol.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior Automotive design

Attachments

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Afternoon, I thought I would drop a post in here and join the community seeing as I just picked up a 2006 3.0 V6 CRD Commander with 132000 miles.

I have been looking for a Jeep for about 12 months now, they seem to be few and far between for a good one in the UK which doesn't cost an absolute bomb. I found the Commander that I looked at today on Facebook. It didn't have a service book BUT it does have numerous receipts for service work, tyres, oil changes, transmission oil changes etc. The people who owned it previously had the garage do almost everything so Im hoping I haven't picked up a lemon but you only time will tell I guess....

The Nav system was working when he put it up for sale but when I went to view it it had died so he knocked some more off for that and so I was happy to get it for £3500. Its done 132000 miles and the interior is in very good nick with only the rear bumper being cracked on the exterior. After I paid the guy the Passenger side handle stopped working, not great but not the end of the world. Obviously I need to do something with the Nav system so maybe look at another unit to put in there, it has the black screen but the sound works.

The best bit? Im driving the hours journey back and I start to loose power, pull over and there is oil dripping everywhere...its at this moment I start to feel like I've just got on a roller coaster, I was bricking it...massively! I've got some tools with me so I took the engine cover off and I see what the issue is really expecting the worst and guess what....I hadn't fully replaced the filler cap when I checked it for moisture and the oil had been chucking out of the top of the cap. Thankfully I had only dropped the level down to the dipstick but on the flip side, I've now covered my very tidy engine bay in oil and its all sprayed over the underside and up the back of my Jeep 🤦‍♂️ I've been working on Cars for the last 20 years and never done anything so stupid lol, what can you do 🤷‍♂️ No harm no foul I guess!

• The drivers electrical seat adjustment is missing the cover so that needs replacing.
  • I fixed the pass door handle but the little plastic clip that clips into the handle is on the way out as that's why the wire slipped off so will need to replace that clip if I can.
  • The drivers door is missing a couple of the pop rivets for the bottom and for the moment, that's about it. For...the....moment lol.

One thing that does blow my mind is how quiet the engine is compared to the 2.4 on my XC90, its like night and day! Super smooth as well, especially when the oil is topped up and not leaking everywhere 🤣

Ive taken a bit of a risk with the Commander, I had planned to pick up a 4.0 WJ but the Mrs really wanted the 7 seats and the diesel.

I went from being massively excited to bricking it in the space of about a minute so still trying to deal with that but Im hoping I've got a nice vehicle here. We had the XC90 before and did a bit of off roading, a lot of camping and canoeing with the kids so fingers crossed this should be an awesome option for us...as long as I don't kill it first lol.

View attachment 43273
@Tugalis ;

Hello & Welcome to the forum;

Please read all of the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

That was a pretty funny story, thankfully, you caught it soon enough, to where you didn't cause any damage.

I'd get that oil in the engine bay cleaned up sooner, rather then later.

Anyway, Welcome aboard .

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
42 Posts
Wow what a hassle. Hopefully the rest will be smooth sailing. No issues with mine thus far but I’m likely jinxing myself

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Tugalis ;

Hello & Welcome to the forum;

Please read all of the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

That was a pretty funny story, thankfully, you caught it soon enough, to where you didn't cause any damage.

I'd get that oil in the engine bay cleaned up sooner, rather then later.

Anyway, Welcome aboard .
Thanks Big Blue, all sorted now I think. If I have missed anything off just let me know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow what a hassle. Hopefully the rest will be smooth sailing. No issues with mine thus far but I’m likely jinxing myself
Haha yeah a bit of a hassle and its not over yet but that's my own fault, always too eager to smell out a bargain, sometimes it comes around and bites me in the butt. What you gonna do! I saved about £1.5-£2k off of the standard current prices in the UK so its to be expected I guess.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Haha yeah a bit of a hassle and its not over yet but that's my own fault, always too eager to smell out a bargain, sometimes it comes around and bites me in the butt. What you gonna do! I saved about £1.5-£2k off of the standard current prices in the UK so its to be expected I guess.
Looks good @Tugalis ;

Thank you.

·
Registered
06 Jeep commander limited 5.7 QTII black
16 Posts

View attachment 43273
You’ll be fine we all forget things from time to Time! I give every one a pass right know with all the Covid nonsense . So here’s to being English man in New York?:). 🍻 cheers.:). Wait are you a sting fan? You might not get it then?:).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Richard its all good fun I guess lol. Not a huge sting fan, a little bit before my time...but not as much before my time as I would like lol.

I changed out the sensor issue that I had but now I have picked up another issue the vehicle which is just awesome so Ill get a post started about that... :cautious:🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 43273
Welcome to the fold Tugalis! It's good to have you. Very happy 3.0 CRD owner here, hailing from South Africa. Mine's a 2007 Sport with ±195.000 km on the clock; our Sport got all the bells and whistles apart from the leather interior and the sunroof/dvd combo. Otherwise she's a beaut. Great story and what an adventure on your first trip, haha, good one! I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Commander! Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts