Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Maybe lower cost to purchase or maintain. I think most or all who have the Hemi like it. But the 4.7 is also a good choice for horse power and torque. Both have good towing capacities.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I've always recommended the Hemi. And I don't think anyone who has the Hemi has recommended the 4.7, have they? Maybe I missed it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Honestly the 4.7L seems to live up to its respect. My first test drive of the XK was flawless, especially the amount of power that I felt on the fly (4x4, fully loaded w/ passengers (wife, sis and bro-in-law, salesperson and myself). When we headed to the freeway, I floored it, and it howled with perfection. Thereafter, wanted to see if going to a 3.7L would be 'okay'... but was a bit disappointed on the overall quality difference on the performance and options (sport vs limited). I had reviewed the MPG and engine specs, as well as my long term use for this XK (wife's pick of course over my ideal 4runner). Seems like I only sacrified ONE mpg between the engines, and another ONE mpg between 4x4 and 4x2. At the end, wheel and dealed a 4x2 HEMI, b/c here in Houston, didn't really have a need for 4x4. It's really a driver's preference.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I didn't think there was a HUGE difference in mileage between a HEMI and a 4.7.
I chose the HEMI simply because it was the whole package that I wanted.

I wouldn't disuade anyone from getting a 4.7 but I love my HEMI, and it's tried and proven... I would recommend the HEMI to anyone!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Why is it that I see people recommending the 4.7 over the Hemi? Is it because of milage only?
THanks,
-Eli
I haven't seen anyone recommending the 4.7 over the HEMI for any other reason than cost to purchase and maintain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could see that if were ordering a New '08 / '09 Sport optioned right with the 4.7 it would be worth it - (305 hp vs the hemi 330hp)- I 've heard the new 4.7 called the semi -hemi.

pd

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I figured the hemi would also last longer or if I decide to trade up to a newer modle it would retain more resale / trade in value.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It depends on what your needs are and how practical you want to be. If you are towing than the Hemi is the answer but if you just need a people hauler the 4.7 does the job and then some. If you feel the need to have the extra power just because you can, as some Hemi owners do, then go for it. I have the 4.7 and can tell you that it hauls my 07 Limited 4x4 through the New England snow without working up a sweat. I have read here in this forum that oil changes with the Hemi are expensive and that highter octane gas is reccomended. If you have a choice then you have to ask yourself is it worth it? Only you would know. Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is the first time I here about this. I know people who have the HEMI are very satisfied with performance regardless the mpg.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm the exact opposite! I absolutely love the 4.7 that I have (07 Version) but going back I do wish I would have waited and gotten the HEMI only if I could have been patient and waited the extra week for them to ship it to me...Overall, I'm still very satisfied and have no regrets! If the after market catered to the 4.7 as much as the HEMI, I'd be 100% though.:eyemouth:

·
Registered
577 Posts
The HEMI oil changes are a little more expensive, my last one was $18.99 instead of $15.99 at the dealer, because it uses more oil than the other engines.

As for higher octane gas, I run midgrade in mine, per the owner manual, being as it also says not to run premium in it. I haven't used regular in it, although the manual states that you CAN run it, but midgrade is recommended.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have read here in this forum that oil changes with the Hemi are expensive...
The oil changes for the HEMI are only a few dollars more than the 4.7 and that is because the HEMI takes 7 quarts and the 4.7 takes 6 quarts.

PeterM said:
...and that highter octane gas is reccomended.
This is not true. The Owner's Manual recommends, and this is a quote, "an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended." Many of the HEMI owners here, including me, are using 87 octane with no detriment to performance.

However, a spark plug change does cost twice as much because the HEMI has 16 plugs instead of 8.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This thread is hilarious! I have the 4.7 because--------that's what I wanted. Didn't want a Hemi. Doesn't matter what year, what size of Hemi. Nada, not for me. I can pull a pop up camper when needed or anything else for that matter. The important thing is------that's what I wanted. Didn't/don't care for the Hemi and I want the option of E85 which runs against the grain for most Jeep enthusiasts. Luv my 4.7! No regrets and most importantly the wife loves it as well. :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes regular gas here is MINIMUM 87 Octane ... that's all I have used in my Hemi ... and hiway mileage is fantastic for a big 8 cylinder 22 - 24 MPG (Imperial Gallon)

I often get combined city/hiway of 20 mpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Commander has a 4.7L and I really like this engine. But, make this offer to a 4.7 liter owner…

Would you trade your 4.7L for a Hemi for no additional cost?

… and the answer would be always YES. I think that answers your question.

--Spike

1 - 20 of 62 Posts