Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the threads complaining about fuel tank, gas mileage and room in back seats I though that I would start a thread explaining why after test driving numerous SUVs, I decided on the Commander.

First of all I was looking for a tow vehicle. There are only a few vehicles in the smaller SUVs that can tow over 5000 lbs. My wife didn't want one of the larger SUVs like an expedition or suburban so our choices were narrowed to only a few vehicles. We considered the Toyota 4runner and Land Rover LR3.

Second, I am tall, 6'4". The Commander is the roomiest vehicle (at least in the front seat) of all the vehicle in this class that I have ever driven. In most vehicles when a sun roof is installed the roof is lowered a couple of inches and I don't have the head room that I need. The Commander allows me to have a sun roof with plenty of room to spare.

Finally it's a great design setting it apart from the other vehicles on the road. It goes back to Jeeps roots when they made serious 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Sure there are things that I wish were better like gas mileage and fuel tank size. I also have no need for the back seats and wish there was a little more room back there instead of those seats. However, when comparing this vehicle to all of the others that I test drove there weren't any others that met my needs as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Why the Commander?

I agree. The styling is good and it fits what I was looking for. The price ended up playing a big part. I was going to get something else but a local dealer had eight-thousand off all JC, so I was able to get something really nice with great features for the same price. The comfort on the inside is by far the best over all the vehicles I tested.

Yes, the gas mileage and small tank are concerns but all the other positives about the JC make me a fan. :)

-Mark-

·
Registered
107 Posts

I to am 6 4' and the extra headroom was a big selling point, with a sunroof in the Grand Cherokee my head hit the roof everytime I moved, not cool, all the roof in could ask for in the Commander.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Being new to this forum, and reading some of the threads, I to would like to comment on why I bought a Commander.

First of all I had outgrown my 97 TJ Wrangler. ALthough I love this vehicle and will not part with it, as my family has grown and our activities have become more diverse, I have simply outgrown the Wrangler. With the other family vehicle being the wife's 02 Grand Cherokee, she got very tired of me asking to use her vehicle to carry my stuff. With all of this in mind, I knew that I needed a new vehicle. As I began my search, I knew that I needed/wanted a SUV that was at least as big as the wife's GC and would tow as much or more.

Because I will only buy domestic vehicles and wanted something unique, my choices were somewhat limited. In the begining I was captivated by the Hummer H3 amd to be quite honest, probably would have bought one early on in the shopping process had I been able to. Boy am I glad I didn't. I have come to the conclusion that a significant portion of the H3's cost is the name and that this vehicle is not a good deal.

With Ford and General Motors not turning my head, I found myself back home at the Jeep dealer looking at GC's and JC's. The Liberty was out of the question and I didn't want another Wrangler. After a while the Commander began to grow on me and the more I looked at it, the more I liked it and the clearer it becamer that this was the vehicle for me.

First of all it is a Jeep. There is no denying this.
Secondly, it will tow what I need it to tow.
Thirdly, it is different. In my area I have only seen three other Commanders.
Lastly it has the room I need and is versitle enough to meet my needs.

As far as the negatives like the MPG and fuel tank size, I am willing to sacrifice a little here and there to have the abilty to drive a Jeep and go and do what I want to do in it. If I wanted higher MPG I should have bought a pocket car, but what fun would that be at the beach or in the mountains. After all, isn't having fun what we work for?

Therefore, in closing I would like to say that I am happy that I bought a Commander to add to my "collection" of Jeeps and look forward to many years of fun and memories with this vehicle.

·
Registered
258 Posts

lfdcapt said:
Thirdly, it is different. In my area I have only seen three other Commanders.
That will change.
The first week I owned mine I saw none. I see them everywhere now. There were a few in Gatlinburg last week that showed up everywher I was.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Reasons why you bought your commander????

There are a lot of reasons why I bought the Commander over other SUV. Number #1 I like the way it looks, #2 I like the fact the you can use it in almost all the offroad/scenic trails (with luxury) #3 I like the roominess; not so small not so big, just right...ETC
WHAT IS YOUR REASON?????

·
Registered
135 Posts
My reasons: Needed a 7 passenger SUV

1-Wife, four kids, one on the way.

2-I live on a dirt road that doesn't get plowed for a week.

3-Mini-vans SUCK!! (Still own one)

Why a Commander? Great capability. Not too big, not too small. Looks like and IS a real 4x4.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Reasons I bought a commander:

1. I wanted a Jeep

2. Three car seats don't fit in a Wrangler

3. It's bada$$

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reasons why I bought a Commander:
1) I Wanted a Jeep
2) HEMI Option
3) Needed to tow my boat or the pop-camper

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
My Reasons:

1. It was love at first sight. :SM120:

2. I had a 2008 Jeep Liberty but suddenly realized I could afford my dream car: The Jeep Commander, so I went for it...no questions asked!!!

3. I wanted a Jeep...JEEP ENTHUSIAST FOREVER BABY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I wanted to be like Ranger6882, my role model (numerically speaking).

·
Registered
205 Posts
#1 - Wife wanted it
#2 - Good pre-owned price/value
#3 - 4WD
#4 - Side airbags
#5 - 3rd row
#6 - Domestic vehicle
#7 - Towing capacity
#8 - It's a Jeep thing, ya'll understand.

The main reason is because we were looking at GC's and thought the XK was a better value w/ the 3rd row and side airbags.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I wanted to combine the carrying capacity of my Expedition with the off-road ability of my 1980 Bronco. Its easier to move with one vehicle than two.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1. Wanted to get back to the Jeep brand (owned a 98' GC)

2. Mini van was NEVER an option

3. My in-laws got an 06' XK when they first came out (love at 1st sight for me)

·
Registered
266 Posts
1. Never had a 4x4 and wanted a real one.
2. tried Ram pick-up, H3, Durango...sat in a commander as a joke and loved the interior and the space. The more I researched, the more I wanted one.
3. My oldest baby is 6'4" (at 15) and I have two more teenagers after him.
4. I knew the QT2 was the best 4WD system on the planet
5. Mentor is a Dodge/Jeep dealer

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
1) Wanted a 4x4
2) Wanted a Jeep
3) Needed to pull a trailer
4) Needed to haul four People

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.