Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm at at stand still at this point and have a few questions. Why is a 9inch wide wheel too wide for 265? They sell packages with this size rim and 265 tires and it seems as if every rim that I really like are 9 inches wide. There are a select few (maybe 5) rims that I have chosen that are less than 9 inches wide, but the bulk mostly are 9 inches wide. So, I guess the big question is what issue(s) would I run into if I were to purchase a 17x9 rim? I've been looking at rims for a while now and really could use some advice so I can finally make this purchase. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im running 17x9s on 245x75s and other than less wheel lip protection off road they work and look great IMO. but I like the wide wheel/ skinny tire look.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No wheel protection off road. Greater chance of blowing tire off the bead if you air down while off roading. A 265mm wide tire should be run on a stock wheel or 8 inch wide wheel. But yes it can go on a 9 inch.

Not sure why you would want to run a 245mm on a 9 inch wheel. That's definitely not recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
when I originally ordered the wheels I thought they were 7" wide then after I got them I realized they were 9" and I already had the tires so I ran with it. it looks good to me and there is some protection but mot much. Wife doesnt let me wheel it much so I dont ever air down anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As long as you like that look that's all that matters

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. It just suck that the rims I really want are 9 inches wide. I do have a couple of 8 inch wheels picked out. Just seems like the variety are mostly 9 inches wide, but thanks. I think I'm gonna go with the 8inch wide rim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts