Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been my only gripe with my commander. Why is the capacity only 16 gallons for a 4.7 truck of this size. Don't you think a 18 or 20 gallon would be more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yours is 16? Mine is a 20gal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 06 Comm and I ran it to empty the other day....it only filled a little over 16 gallons, unless it has a reserve tank?????

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Or a bad pump!

·
Registered
444 Posts
When my gas light comes on, I still have about 16 litres left in the tank. I can fill it right after light comes on and it will only take about 60-64 litres.

Note: 1 gal = 3.78 litres

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
When my gas light comes on, I still have about 16 litres left in the tank. I can fill it right after light comes on and it will only take about 60-64 litres.

Note: 1 gal = 3.78 litres
Same here as well

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I think mine is 20. I know I've put more than 16 in at one time. However, I think the reason for the smaller tank is so you have to get gas more often and show off your Jeep.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
All Commanders have a
79.0 litre fule capaicity ... that's ..
20.8 US Gallons ... or ...
17.3 Imperial Gallons

If you take it easy on the hi-way that's almost a 400 mile cruising range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See that is so weird, when I fill it up the gauge on the dash read 258 around that miles til empty when I fill it up!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine does that too, but it will stay at 260miles for about 3-6 actual road miles.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
I will be posting on one solution for the small capacity fuel supply soon.

20 gal + 25 gal + 5 gal = 50 gal to get lost and still get back.

·
Registered
953 Posts
See that is so weird, when I fill it up the gauge on the dash read 258 around that miles til empty when I fill it up!

First off, all the tanks have the same capacity, which is somewhere around 20.8 US gal.

Second, the # of miles left to empty is a value calculated from how you were previously driving and the amount of fuel in the tank. So if you hammered the gas and was getting 14mpg, when you fill up it will show a shorter range than if you were easy on the throttle getting 19mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
So if you hammered the gas and was getting 14mpg, when you fill up it will show a shorter range than if you were easy on the throttle getting 19mpg.
If I hammer the gas, I get more like 10mpg... but, thats just me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If I hammer the gas, I get more like 10mpg... but, thats just me.
Awesome, dude! :headbang2:

Actually, I was just throwing numbers out there without getting too specific.

But lemme pull out the ol' abacus here....

@14mpg 16 gal will take you... [sound effects here] 224 miles.

@19mpg 16 gal will take you... [carry the 1... hmmm...] 304 miles.

So depending on what you car 'puter was last reading, your range @ fill up may be different.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really would have like to had a tank maybe 30+ gallons. I also despise how small it is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I kinda like it only being 20 gallons. Not as hard on the wallet each time i fill up. Granted that the fill ups are more frequent, but it just isn't as a bad immediate burn as a bigger tank would be.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Gas has gone from $1.69 to $1.78 in 2 days here at Sam's Club.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts