Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I read an article about countries that are starting to raise taxes on unhealthy foods. So I did what any bored person would do and posted on FB about it. Well one guy was like who cares if other people are fat the government doesnt need to stick their noses in peoples business. So what do you guys think about this?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It goes both ways... Some people are fat because they do not take care of themselves for many reasons, like eat to much, play to many video games :) watch too much Tv but never get out and burn calories, others are overweight due to medical conditions.

I guess one reason some feel the government should get involved is the high cost of health care, if the tax payer is expected to pay for the health issues of the overweight then one could argue that the tax payer has a right to complain about how their money is being spent. very similar to complaining how a person on food stamps can buy steak and lobster with the food stamp program.

Government has a duty to attempt to protect the citizens from all dangers but somewhere along the way we have lost the ability to determine the difference between a true danger and a bad lifestyle. Govenrment should not be the lifestyle police.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Well said 49er.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think it's a good incentive. -coming from a "pleasantly plump" person lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
In the U.S. today there are a substantial amount of people who are considered overweight. There are those who are still in good health and those that are morbidly obese. The fact that the government is trying to encourage or discourage the sale and purchase of a consumer is NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S BUSINESS! If it is allowed on the shelf, then I should be able to buy it.

It seems to me that the governing body is playing the blame game as always and wants to look for outs rather than at the policies in place to scrape up revenue. More tax and hidden fees may help but are not the answer. As our debt grows so does out spending, and the jist of spend money to make money went out the window long ago.

:steps down off soap box:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You guys invented 'eating between meals', put a ban on such activities and the USA will become healthy again! I like fatties, i can't eat a whole one though!

·
Administrator
486 Posts
It goes both ways... Some people are fat because they do not take care of themselves for many reasons, like eat to much, play to many video games :) watch too much Tv but never get out and burn calories, others are overweight due to medical conditions.

I guess one reason some feel the government should get involved is the high cost of health care, if the tax payer is expected to pay for the health issues of the overweight then one could argue that the tax payer has a right to complain about how their money is being spent. very similar to complaining how a person on food stamps can buy steak and lobster with the food stamp program.

Government has a duty to attempt to protect the citizens from all dangers but somewhere along the way we have lost the ability to determine the difference between a true danger and a bad lifestyle. Govenrment should not be the lifestyle police.

That's my 2 cents.
I totally agree with you. :thanks:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts