Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible, has anyone done this with their stock XK wheels?
I know of a place that widens steel wheels but I'm not sure if our factory wheels can be widened. I would like to keep my wheels but also like to have a nice outer lip for a better "look".
Any info would be greatly appretiated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I don't believe there exists a process for what you have in mind.
If there is/was, I think it would be rather expensive.

I agree though, I wish there was a bit more 'lip'.
Evidently, we're not alone.....I think the wheel manufacturer AEV(?)or was it Pintler(?) (someone will correct me) had this in mind when they designed their rim specifically for the Commander.

Rob

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I like the looks of the beadlock wheels. I was just reading on legal issues
of multiple piece wheels.

The AEV wheels are:
**"AEV Beadlock Wheels are DOT compliant: Doesn't that mean they are street legal?
Not necessarily. AEV wheels are designed to all applicable DOT Standards
regarding wheel construction and have passed the SAE Tests for Radial Fatigue,
Impact, and Cornering Fatigue. Currently, DOT or SAE has no specific
regulation or test requirements for beadlock wheels. "
thus legal unless a state specifically outlaws them.

**AEV Beadlock

I think this relates to the conversation in that we are talking multipiece wheels,
if not my apologies and ask Mr. Mod to remove.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might of found a place to do it, but by looking at their price chart......it looks like it'll be cheaper to buy aftermarket wheels. I'll research some more and report my findings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
AEV designed the Pintler wheel specifically for the 4" Superlift (their words not mine). It comes with either with or without beadlocks. The rim does have more lip, simply becuase it has less backspacing (~5.3" vs stock 6.5"). After a few weeks of scouring the net, I found only one other wheel with the same specs that fit the XK- the V-Drive by MB Wheels. One distinct design advantage over the Pintler wheel is the protection for the valve stem. Pintlers will run ~$220 ea (w/shipping) vs V-Drive at $120 ea. Not sure how that compares to getting the stockers widened.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.k., I found out that it can be done ONLY if the factory wheel is a two piece (which i believe it's not). Plus, the cost (estimated) was around $120 a wheel........for that price I'd rather buy new ones. So, I'm scrapping that idea, thanks for the responses guys.

I'll check out the MB wheels mentioned about, thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts