Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have narrowed it down to 2 of them.

one has the 5.7 V8 hemi with 88 000km for $16 000

or another one with the v6 with 167 000 for $15 500 edit: price is 13500 and the brakes have been done.

my question is, how bad is the hemi on gas compared to the V6? how many KM on a tank? would be doing half city half highway

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I own a Limited with the HEMI, so I'm speaking from experience in paying for the privilege at the pump and in super satisfaction in performance. If fuel economy is the decisive factor, then forget the HEMI. If strong performance, pulling power, passing power, torque for off-road/towing and value for your dollar are factors, then get the HEMI. That motor is an engineering marvel. I've loved mine from the moment I first floored it and have never regretted a thing. Cheers. Jorge
PS: Gas is cheap!
PPS: Welcome to the forum. Whichever Commander you get, congrats and post pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to the crew!

The above post is on target. Hemi is your choice for fun, power, noise, and towing. It gets very poor economy.

The V6 is likely the best economy, but also remember, this is a very heavy vehicle.

I'm averaging around 12mpg with mostly stop and go city driving.

On the interstate I get over 15. The newer Hemi in the 2010 should do better.

Not bad considering the power and fun factor. But we have another vehicle if we're trying to be efficient.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have the v6. Fuel economy wise it is not noticeably better.

Get the HEMI! It has half the miles (!!) and is nearly the same price.

When we first got it the v6 Jeep was getting 15mpg mixed. synthetics, plugs, and a tune made a big difference.

The MDS on the hemi makes it get very respectable MPG highway considering the vehicle is shaped like a brick and makes nearly 400 hp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just taled to the wife. the v6 one is 13 500$...and ready to go (brakes where done). Apparently somebody tried to buy it but could not get financing.

the hemi one just came in and because its out of province (in quebec). I would have to do the leg work to get it safetied and etested to get it licensed in ontario . Looking at the pictures, definitely going to need tires and most likely brakes.....

·
Banned
15 Posts
I bought a 2010 Commander Limited with the 5.7 hemi for my wife in September of this year. After deciding that the Commander was the right vehicle, I also considered the v6 vs. hemi, but decided on the hemi because it drove much better, and we also wanted to be able to do towing.

My wife loves it and drives it daily. She gets about 12 to 13 mpg in city driving but between 18 to a high of 20 mpg in highway driving. That is better than the 2000 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 that the Commander replaced (and my son is now driving), so we are pleased. And when we did the math on the additional gas cost for the hemi, it wasn't really that much.

The prices that you are quoting are consistent with my experience, or a bit lower (and we looked at many, many Commanders).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wifey weighing in now...

I am not going to be towing.. more than small snot nosed children around

So it looks like the Hemi from what you say....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wifey weighing in now...

I am not going to be towing.. more than small snot nosed children around

So it looks like the Hemi from what you say....
Well, the v6 works. My wife drives mine with 3 snot nosed kids, no towing, and it has a small lift with 32's on it now, which she appreciates. The v6 is acceptable with a tune and no cargo. Loaded up with bodies and with stuff on the roof it accelerates pretty slowly.

Its fine passing on the highway @ legal speeds, and cruises @70mph quite happily, but accelerating from a stop or going up a hill? Forget about it.

·
Banned
15 Posts
My wife tows 4 kids to school each day in the Commander, and she drove them on a 1200 mile round trip to her family last week (I had to stay behind to work). She has put 5000 miles on it in less than 3 months.

The third row is tight, and you likely will need to put luggage on the roof for a trip.

She tells me everyday how much she loves it, and she loves the power from the hemi. That is a major, major score for a husband!

·
Banned
15 Posts
You should drive both the 3.7 v6 and also the 5.7 hemi and then decide. If we had found a 3.7 v6 Commander at a good price, we may have bought it instead but we didn't see that much of a price difference when we compared. With either engine, you will be getting a Jeep Commander and so a great vehicle, particularly for a family!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If anyone fills all three seats and needs room for luggage, may I recommend a hitch-mounted cargo rack. Easier to load and unload and keeps the luggage from further spoiling the already dismal aerodynamics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the input..

The kids are all under 8 .. and one is a shrimp so they will fit 3rd row for a while. The one in a carseat will be in the front anyways.

We have contacted the V6 guys.. after weighing all the pros and cons of the two.. the V6 has more KM but will be less of a head for getting it back in to our province.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should I buy the 2010 Jeep Commander

Hi,
I think the 2010 model is OK - the early ones were an absolute mess with a large number of problems due to Chrysler/Jeep rushing to get a 7 seater on the market. The Computer stuff in the early models meant that you spent a lot of time with things not working or the Dealer giving you the irks!
Looking at the Engine Light glowing on the dash, 4WD Service Warning, Electronic Range Select not working, Sunroof leaking etc etc became a part of life!

Do research using Google - you will learn more than what the whole Chrysler/Jeep organisation knows.

If I did not use Low Range 4WD or the Electronic Range Select then most of my complaints would have disappeared - these areas caused problems with the early models.

Fuel consumption is not a problem to us in Australia with the Jeep Commander as they were fitted with the Mercedes 3.0 Litre Turbo Diesel - a powerful motor that is economical.

I have a 2006 model and thus my views in relation to the frustrations are somewhat tainted...

May you have a great Christmas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts