Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not fond of people joining forums just to ask a question, so I apologize up front. My girlfriend is an amazing person and has a 2006 Jeep Commander with the cloth seats that stain easily. I found a great set of leather seats from a 2008 Jeep Commander with 3rd row. She recently paid her Commander off and has plans to keep it for a while. I'd really like to surprise her and get leather seats to install for her to enjoy it more.

Will the 2008 seats fit in her 2006 Commander?

Much thanks and appreciation from all.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Yes, they will fit. There were virtually no changes to the Commander during its 4 years of production. Only minor things. The seats are the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they will fit. There were virtually no changes to the Commander during its 4 years of production. Only minor things. The seats are the same.
That is great to hear! It's a large chunk of money to spend just to find out bad news. It seems like most listings are 06-07 and then 08-10. From my searching, it seems like maybe the seats themselves are contoured differently or just that the 06-07 had 3rd row standard and that wasn't the case from 08 on?

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
From my searching, it seems like maybe the seats themselves are contoured differently or just that the 06-07 had 3rd row standard and that wasn't the case from 08 on?
The leather seats may be contoured differently from the cloth. I don't really know. I think the 3rd row became optional in '09.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The leather seats may be contoured differently from the cloth. I don't really know. I think the 3rd row became optional in '09.
That's something you should research for us! :D I have an 06 and want to put oem leather in mine, but not sure if leather from an 08-10 will fit!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I paid for them and will be anxiously awaiting them to ship and arrive. My girlfriend is coming back down to CO from SD in 2 weeks so it would be nice to have them before then. If not, she moves down here in July. I'll post pics of the swap and and issues I find. It looks like the seats are the same contour as well so I'll get a good comparison side-by-side when I pull the seats out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I highly recommend Caltrend's "I can not believe it's not leather" car seat covers, they cover cloth seats perfectly and everyone who has been in my commander thinks it's the real deal.

That's something you should research for us! :D I have an 06 and want to put oem leather in mine, but not sure if leather from an 08-10 will fit!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just priced all 3 rows out of curiousity...

ICBL is $825 and the real leather is around $1,500. I paid way less than $825 for the full 3 rows of factory leather seats shipped and I'll have the stock cloth seats left to sell.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Does the 09 passenger seat have a height adjustment? The 06 did not get one.
The drivers electric seats in all years have height adjustment. Don't know about the manual seats.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The electric seats in all years have height adjustment. Don't know about the manual seats.
NO. The electric passenger seat in my Overland does not have height adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
NO. The electric passenger seat in my Overland does not have height adjustment.
I just checked mine and you are correct.:shocked:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got the seats yesterday. I was too eager to install them and forgot to disconnect the battery so now I have the airbag light on constant. May have to get it reset at the dealer but I'm going to try unplugging everything and disconnecting the battery overnight.

The seats bolt right in but the electric harness is different. On the driver side, I had to splice the power seat function from the new harness to the stock harness below the seat.

On the passenger side, I swapped the lower parts in order to retain the airbag set up from the 2006 and have it plug straight into the stock harness. Then I spliced the power seat function just like on the driver side.

I know everything is correct and I didn't alter anything on the harnesses except for the wires specific to moving the seat.

Right now I'm positive the airbag needs to be reset or initialized.

Just wanted to let everyone know the seats bolt up perfect and fit perfect. Had I disconnected the battery first, I don't think I'd have an airbag issue. Splicing the connections to move the seat back and the seat bottom back and forth were not too difficult.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad the new seats worked out with minimal amount of effort.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts