Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get nitto dune grapplers as my street tire for my jeep. has 2.25" lift and im running 31" super swampers with 17" cragar soft 8 rims.
they are amazing tires, but i need street tires so my swamps last. $$$$.
Ofcourse nitto has the awkward sizes for all its tires.
i need 255or265 size tires. and they only really have ones with either 20" rims or 15" rims to fit this. if you can find one that will fit a 17" or 18" that would be awesome.
but till then, will a 15" rim fit on jeep?
i have a 1/2 inch wheel spacer on there now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No, this has been covered numerous times. The smallest wheel that works is a 17 inch due to the size of the brakes. Use the SEARCH function!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
....and some 17 inch wheels require wheel spacers to clear the brake calipers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I actually just sent you a pm this morning asking about your current Cragar 17" wheels. I was told that all steel wheels will rub on the front calipers w/o spacers; do yours not rub on the calipers?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Who told you all steel wheels will rub on the calipers?

·
Registered
75 Posts
A couple of people from this forum, and I also went into 4 Wheel Parts a few days ago to ask and they told me the same thing. The 4 Wheel Parts guy told me that the 17" steel wheel was designed for the Cherokee. He has never gotten a steel wheel to fit on the Commander.

I wonder if it varies by brand? It sounds like from redbulljoker that the Cragar soft 8 will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 17"x 8" steel wheels with+30 offset and if they are available in Australia I am sure you would be able to get them in the U.S

·
Registered
75 Posts
What make/model are your steel wheels? Are you using spacers?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
No he isnt using spacers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 1/2 spacer put in to help with the grinding of my tire when i turn.
and no my calipers dont rub.
my friend posted this forum for his commander.
i am aware the minimum size i can handle is 17".

·
Registered
275 Posts
So........ the 15inch rim idea may actually work.
There was a wrangler JK that has the same basic wheel Assembly 5x5 on 17"s wheeling with us this weekend. If you look in my hidden falls pics on photobucket and look for the Orange JK it's hard to notice in some pics but in the video of him crawling up that ledge you can pause it on his wheels and see he has 15's with km2s.

Normally wrangler's have the same issue we do because of their brake callipers. I asked him what he did and he said that they will fit with the right backspacing. He bought pro comp steel wheels :
http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=PCW98-5173&catID=11&subCat=209&ptID=100021&plID=100348

They are 3.75 inch backspace which will just clear the rotors. He also had to have the flat weights put on the inside center of the rim and not stacked 2 high to avoid the rotor. They seem to work pretty well.

Now that being said: I've never heard anyone try it on a commander and don't know if there is any difference that will eliminate this option for us. But It would seem that it is possible after all.

I'd be very interested to see someone try it. I'd go to 15's on the next tire change if that were the case.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've looked through those 5x5" bolt pattern 15 inch rims and they are all 3.75 backspace except one that was 4" backspace. Maybe they only sell it with that xtreme backspace b/c it only fits our newer jeeps that have big rotors.?

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was kind of wondering in that direction, I know just looking at my stock wheels with my 1.5" spacers sure makes that rotor seem far away. I guess with wheels with some backspace would stay clear of the rotor and calipers. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone try the 15s yet?
Did anyone ever get an answer to this? If not, I should be able to give some insight in the next week or so. I'm ordering up a set of steel 15 x 8's with a 3.75 backspacing to replace the stock 17's on the wife's JK Unlimited X model. I did a lot of research and this setup will fit on the JK. I also red that Rubi's with the D44 require just a touch of grinding on the caliper and then they fit 15's as well.

The only reason I post this is because my brother is interested in the same combo I'm putting together so I've been researching and came across this post. Since I still don't have a definite yes or no, I told him I'd test fit them on his '07 Commander prior to putting them on the wife's for the heck of it. I'll post up the results and some picts if there is interest.

Also, this is my first post, but I've been on here for info in the past when I put the 2" lift in his Commander a couple years back. Thanks all for the great info I got at that time. I'm a big Jeeper, just wasn't too up on the Commanders until he got his and I started doing some searching here for info.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
15 inch wheels wont fit on an XK. Im 100% positive they wont clear the rotor. They fit on JK's but JK's also use a smaller in diameter rotor. I dont even think its possible to get a 16 inch wheel to fit even if it had some crazy back space. I just installed a set of Black Rock series 997 wheels on my XK 17x8 with 4.5 inches of back spacing and I had to use custom made 1/4 inch wheel spacers to make them clear the front brake caliper bracket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts