Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a set of 5 2007 Jeep Wrangler tires and wheels P/255/75R/17 with 15,000 miles on them for sale for $450. Does anyone know if the wheels will fit the Commander? I know the tires might be a bit tight but mostly I'm wondering if the lug spacing is the same. We need 5x5 right? Is the Wrangler 5x5?

I'm going to put a 2 inch Rustys lift on with 1.5 inch SpyderTrax spacers.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yes - starting in 2007, the Wrangler used a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, the same as the XK and the WK. You will need at least a 1" wheel spacer however, as there is a 'ridge' cast into the wrangler wheels behind the spokes that will not clear the XK brake caliper. It looks like you've already planned for that. The tires will rub pretty good until you get the lift on, then it should be minimal. $450 sound like a pretty good deal for a set of 5, nice find!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - starting in 2007, the Wrangler used a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, the same as the XK and the WK. You will need at least a 1" wheel spacer however, as there is a 'ridge' cast into the wrangler wheels behind the spokes that will not clear the XK brake caliper. It looks like you've already planned for that. The tires will rub pretty good until you get the lift on, then it should be minimal. $450 sound like a pretty good deal for a set of 5, nice find!
Thanks Kmax. I called him and they are Rubicons like yours I think. I see you have a 4 inch lift and I'm planning a 2 inch lift. The tires he has are 32's so I'm concerned that they might not fit well even with a 2 inch lift. And I don't want to go 4 inch for a number of reasons.

I'm really struggling trying to decide on the right tire size for me. It is hard to pass on this deal but I was thinking that 31.5 inch (2 inch higher than stock might be my best bet. 4 New ones will run me about $700.

Help...puzzled in Flushing...

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
A couple of things that might work in your favor once you have the 2" lift...

The shoulder of the BFG Mud Terrain is cupped inward which affords more turning/wheelwell clearance than some other tires that have a sharper, more protruding shoulder like the BFG All-Terrain.

And, the ones you have your eyes on have 15,000 miles on them, so they're likely worn a bit giving a little more clearance.

I was using BFG All-Terrains @ 265/70/17's when I had the Rocky Road 2.25" lift, and I had very minor rubbing. My Rubicon tires are the factory 255/75's like you're looking at, and by actual measurement are within 1/8" the same height. I'm confident they would have worked with minor rubbing when I had the 2.25" lift.

Go to a49erFan's garage, he's got exactly the same setup you're talking about with lots of pictures. I think he even paid the same for his wheels and tires!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks again Kmax. I'll look at 49'ers pics.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I've come across a set of 5 2007 Jeep Wrangler tires and wheels P/255/75R/17 with 15,000 miles on them for sale for $450. Does anyone know if the wheels will fit the Commander? I know the tires might be a bit tight but mostly I'm wondering if the lug spacing is the same. We need 5x5 right? Is the Wrangler 5x5?

I'm going to put a 2 inch Rustys lift on with 1.5 inch SpyderTrax spacers.
That is the exact same deal I found. My take-offs have 9,000 miles and I got all 5 for $450.00

They fit perfectly

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 49er. BTW, I looked at your garage. Very nice.

Well guys, after looking this all over and getting your advice and help, I think the take offs would fit after the lift...BUT... I'm going to pass on these particular takeoffs. The wheels are fine but I really wasn't looking to get wheels and I'm not a big fan of Wrangler SR-A's. I think I would end up looking for tires again too soon. So..... here's the linky if anyone else is interested.

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/pts/928050602.html

I'm going to go for new Wrangler Silent Armors. I think they will last me longer. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just wanted to put in my two cents since I just went through some "up grades."

I have (as my signature states) the 2.25" Rocky Road lift with 265x70R17's on stock rims. They rub. I put my wife's Rubicon Rims on with Stock 255x75R17's. They rub too. I have done some wheel well modifications (that I really didn't want to do) and it still rubs a tad.

Does anyone think that an extra 1/2" or 1" leveling lift would help out with the rubbing? It only rubs on turns (not really at locked position).

-Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts