Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the end of the line is in 09' .My cousin work for a division of Jeep ,and was informed that jeep is pulling the plug from slow sales.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: end of the line forcommander

That sucks! It really is a great vehicle and the announcement isn't going to help sales any.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts

We should all buy a second or third to help keep it alive!

·
Banned
94 Posts

blackhulkrims said:
the end of the line is in 09' .My cousin work for a division of Jeep ,and was informed that jeep is pulling the plug from slow sales.
Maybe ... maybe not. First post from a new member could just be a troll.

It's known that Commander sales aren't spectacular, and there are claims that the Commander is pulling sales from the Grand Cherokee. Me...well, I've already got my Commander, so future sales aren't that big of a concern.

Given the direction that Jeep styling seems to be going in (based on the new Patriot and certainly the radical changes to the Liberty), I can see a merging of the Grand Cherokee and Commander into something more like a Commander and less like the GC. The Latest iteration of the Grand Cherokee isn't overly well-liked by Jeep aficionados.

In either case, speculation about the demise of the Commander may - at this time - be greatly exaggerated.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts

blackhulkrims said:
the end of the line is in 09' -jeep is pulling the plug
Well, Jeep may be pulling the plug on the Commander but, they sure are pulling the plug on mine. My Commander will live on and go forth on and off roads well past 2009 !!!!

(unless gas gets to $6/gal, then I may just have to park that hemi in a barn for some future generation to discover :eek: )

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

Future vehicles are closely guarded secrets within automakers... not every employee in the company knows what is coming in the future. Not to mention everything and anything is a possibility when Cerebus takes over.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Like my man Benny Franklin said....."Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.”

·
Registered
588 Posts

Seems to me, at least around here, Commander sales are beginning to increase, with hardly any advertising. If they do pull the plug this will be a highly desireable vehicle on the resale market. Even to this day the big jeep wagons are cherished. john

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

I have a hard time believing they will discontinue after only three production years.

I think sales must be pretty good. I see at least 5 to 6 Commanders every day!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Rumors and nothing more - even if discontinued in the current configuration, they may still build another vehicle based on the Commander (whether larger for full 3 rows) or as suggested here one all new Grand Cherokee for the 2009 model year and beyond

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Well all I know is I see alot more Commanders now then I did when I bought mine in August. And there isnt a day goes by I dont see atleast a dozen. (no I am not counting the ones at the dealer).

·
Registered
216 Posts

Pretty much all the car blogs have already talked about the Commander being discontinued:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/20/jeep-commander-going-down-by-2009/

However, like it was said before - since Cerebus picked up Jeep, et al we really don't know what's going to happen. However, I'm willing to put money down that the Commander is on it's way out. There is no good reason to keep a car on the block if you have to give almost 10k incentives to get rid of last years stock which is still sitting around.

·
Banned
94 Posts

penguin said:
Pretty much all the car blogs have already talked about the Commander being discontinued:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/20/jeep-commander-going-down-by-2009/

However, like it was said before - since Cerebus picked up Jeep, et al we really don't know what's going to happen. However, I'm willing to put money down that the Commander is on it's way out. There is no good reason to keep a car on the block if you have to give almost 10k incentives to get rid of last years stock which is still sitting around.
True, but first year automobiles usually don't sell particularly well unless they're something like the Mustang or the upcoming Camaro. I didn't buy a first year Commander, but I did buy a Commander.

It's still my opinion that the next iteration of the Grand Cherokee will look like a Commander. It would make more sense to keep the Commander, drop a V8 and diesel into the new Liberty and let the Liberty fill the niche that the Grand Cherokee currently occupies. With the 'new look' of the Jeep line (with the exception of the Compass, o'course) the Grand Cherokee is the odd looking rig.

It's all speculation. Nobody knows anything.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
512 Posts

I have heard and read the same rumors (groan). What I have read is that the new Commander (or replacement) would be based on the Durango/Aspen chassis.Yuck . So much for Trail Rated.They would be better off ending the line in its current configuration rather than turn it into a lackluster SUV.;)

·
Banned
94 Posts

ntrepid43 said:
I have heard and read the same rumors (groan). What I have read is that the new Commander (or replacement) would be based on the Durango/Aspen chassis.Yuck . So much for Trail Rated.They would be better off ending the line in its current configuration rather than turn it into a lackluster SUV.;)
Have you driven an Aspen? It's a pretty nice SUV (and I really like the styling over the Durango version).

Remember, though, that Trail Rated isn't a function of just the chassis. It's all about capability. They put the right package together for the Aspen chassis and it could certainly be a contender.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
216 Posts

meat said:
True, but first year automobiles usually don't sell particularly well unless they're something like the Mustang or the upcoming Camaro. I didn't buy a first year Commander, but I did buy a Commander.

It's still my opinion that the next iteration of the Grand Cherokee will look like a Commander. It would make more sense to keep the Commander, drop a V8 and diesel into the new Liberty and let the Liberty fill the niche that the Grand Cherokee currently occupies. With the 'new look' of the Jeep line (with the exception of the Compass, o'course) the Grand Cherokee is the odd looking rig.

It's all speculation. Nobody knows anything.

Your pal,
Meat.
I do agree that Jeep may want to keep some kind of vehicle with 3rd row seating, but I don't believe it will be the Commander. For all it's worth, the brand name 'Grand Cherokee' in the US holds more value than Commander and I doubt they would drop it anytime soon. It costs ALOT of money to build a marketable vehicle brand name. They are looking at how dismal Ford did with dropping the Taurus name, and we see how that came back 1 year later (production ended in 2006 and then in 2007 Ford said the Five Hundred would be a Taurus again for 2008).

And it's not so much 1st year vehicles selling well; I got mine 10k off (new 06) and I can go to any Jeep dealer on the gulf coast right now and get an 07 with 6k off. I can bet money that 08s are going to have a large incentive, as well. It's a niche vehicle. Kind of like the Magnum. They didn't sell particularly well and alot of dealerships are refusing to carry them.

I owned an 03 Civic Si. It was an egg shape and it wasn't a big seller. It lasted 3 years before the new reiteration of the Si came out. So cars do get cut fairly quick. It wouldn't be a first for a manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

It would make a lot of sense to me to base the Commander off of the Durango. Face it, 98% of us buy the Commander for the 4x4 and the 3rd row, and will NEVER take it off roading. I know some of the hardcore "jeepers" here don't want to believe that, but it's true. The Durango is bigger, which would make the 3rd row more usable, which would make it more attractive to the majority of us.

Words to my dealer when trading in the Magnum, "I need something with AWD, a 3rd row, No minivans, tell me what you have". The commander is what he had. No I was not looking for a "Trail Rated Jeep", I was looking for 3 rows of comfort for me and my family.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts

RedCommander said:
Face it, 98% of us buy the Commander for the 4x4 and the 3rd row, and will NEVER take it off roading.
I guess I'm happy to be in the 2% that WILL go off-roading in my Commander. That was my primary reason for buying it - well, it was a dual purpose, I wanted to haul all 5 kids AND go off-roading without needing two vehicles (we move around a lot, so having more vehicles than drivers is difficult). I had a 4x2 Expedition that did the hauling part, but couldn't do the off-roading I wanted. For me, the Commander fits perfectly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: end of the line for commander

blackhulkrims said:
I have a friend of my wifes cousins cousin who knows another someone that is married to bobs 5th uncle that spoke to their hairdresser who overheard a conversation of the wife of the person in charge of sanitation (engineer) that works in the building across from paint shop that heard Jeep is going to build a larger version with a diesel.

It's all rumors and doesn't change anything.

We should start our own crazy rumors. Never mind.

1 - 20 of 422 Posts