1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Well it looks like they should fit ok. If you do not have the fog lights, now, you will need to buy the stalk that has the control for the fogs from the dealer......Or........you can run your own set up like I did. Installed the lights in the holes for the OEM lights and ran the wires to the dash and used my own switch.

Fog Lights

Theser are the pics of my install. I could not find the write up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't know, the way they mount are totally different than stock units. Just cause they have a pic with them in a Commander doesn't mean they "fit". I would save up and buy OEM style fogs, at least that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
They are Halo's man, cool factor!
I agree, if they were going on a Tuner. The Commander is already in the Cool Factor category.

But if I would do it, I would halo out the main lights too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone know specifically what the diagnostics starscan looks for when activating the fog lights at the dealership? Would it be the relay or the switch stalk?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
If you use the factory wiring, then you have to star scan and replace the stalk. If you do your own wiring and switch, no scanning.

The factory wiring is all there....

I like being able to choose when they come on, often wont work with brights
if you use factory set up.

Use a diagnostic STARSCAN tool so that the Front Control Module is reconfigured and
recognizes the front fog lamps. Follow the procedure shown below.
IN THE INITIAL START UP SCREEN
• PRESS ------- VEHICLE PREPARATION
• TOGGLE DOWN AND HIGHLIGHT ----- ENABLE FRONT FOG LAMPS
• PRESS ------- START
• PRESS ------- NEXT>
• PRESS ------- ENABLE
VERIFY FRONT FOG LAMP STATUS
VERIFY APPLICABLE COUNTRY CODE FRONT FOG LAMPS DROPOUT STATE
(DEFAULT SHOULD BE US/CAN/MEX).
• PRESS ------- NEXT>
• PRESS ------- FINISH
Front fog lamps will be functional when park lamps or low beam lamps are activated.
Front fog lamps will shut off when high beam lamps are activated. (USA/CAN/MEX regulation).

Fog Lamps

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take it from me, its not worth it. I would save up and buy the OEM kit online. I originally purchased one of these aftermarket kits and the lights did not fit well in the holes. I ended up returning the kit and buying the OEM lights. I am very pleased with them, since they come with the new stalk as well. After activating them at the dealer, I ran HIDs through them and they look great. IMO save up and do it right because you might run into problems when installing these aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Cico and Yioryosimo, I'm still deciding on whether or not to just install the switch and have them activated or to just install a aftermarket switch into the dash. Once I decide and complete hopefully Ill post some pics!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like the idea of flipping them on whenever I feel like it, but won't the highbeams wash them out anyways. Plus, I will have auxiliary lighting on my rig if I need more light. So, I think ill run them off the factory stalk. I found an OEM "kit" with stalk and relay for $160.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'll be installing my matrix with lights up front soon. This is why I'm choosing to use the factory stalk. Is there Ño way of programming them to turn on with the highs?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'll be installing my matrix with lights up front soon. This is why I'm choosing to use the factory stalk. Is there Ño way of programming them to turn on with the highs?
Doubt it since the footnote says US Regulation, however; where there is a will, there is a way.

I think you should use your own switch though for flexibility, but I know many people don't like the idea of putting extra holes in the dash.

You are going to use the lights on the Matrix for your fog lights? Thats inovative! Excellent idea other than the brights issue.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Doubt it since the footnote says US Regulation, however; where there is a will, there is a way.

I think you should use your own switch though for flexibility, but I know many people don't like the idea of putting extra holes in the dash.

You are going to use the lights on the Matrix for your fog lights? Thats inovative! Excellent idea other than the brights issue.
US Regulations...............BLAHHHHHH!!!! I dont need no stinkin' Regulations! LoL..

Seriously tho,...If I (or you guys) could find a wiring diagram for the factory fog switch and steering column, I could probably add a relay so the fogs light up with the highs.

At first I was going to use the Matrix lights for fogs, but then started thinking about it and I would have to point them too far downward to achieve it's purpose (plus they would look stupid pointing down). So, I'm going to persue(<--splg?) adding a relay to the factory wiring to get the OEM fogs to work with the highs. I figure if you connect your relay to the output (on highbeam switch), when you turn your highs on it'll close the relay and turn on the fogs. You would have to install diodes in your wiring to prevent backfeed, tho. My only question is......How much voltage gets sent through the output wire from the switch? Wish me luck...

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
US Regulations...............BLAHHHHHH!!!! I dont need no stinkin' Regulations! LoL..

Seriously tho,...If I (or you guys) could find a wiring diagram for the factory fog switch and steering column, I could probably add a relay so the fogs light up with the highs.

At first I was going to use the Matrix lights for fogs, but then started thinking about it and I would have to point them too far downward to achieve it's purpose (plus they would look stupid pointing down). So, I'm going to persue(<--splg?) adding a relay to the factory wiring to get the OEM fogs to work with the highs. I figure if you connect your relay to the output (on highbeam switch), when you turn your highs on it'll close the relay and turn on the fogs. You would have to install diodes in your wiring to prevent backfeed, tho. My only question is......How much voltage gets sent through the output wire from the switch? Wish me luck...
12 volts, except DRL are 6 when in gear. Check your pm's.
attach to the wire coming out of the light.

·
Registered
542 Posts
12 volts, except DRL are 6 when in gear. Check your pm's.
attach to the wire coming out of the light.
12v straight to the lights or to a relay? From the column switch?

PM checked and responded...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the idea of flipping them on whenever I feel like it, but won't the highbeams wash them out anyways. Plus, I will have auxiliary lighting on my rig if I need more light. So, I think ill run them off the factory stalk. I found an OEM "kit" with stalk and relay for $160.
I bought all the pieces separate and spent around 100. But I also purchased the switch stalk w/ out the auto head light feature with fog lamp from the mopar website for about 40 cheaper, unless of course your looking for the auto headlight option!:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cico or anyone that might be aware, what size are the screws used to bolt in the foglight?

I put the kit together for cheaper from different places online but completely forgot about the screws! lol
Im thinking I'll just find the size and purchase some screws at a local hardware store.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts