Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided I want to put 24s on my commander. Now I know that I'm going to be hearing an earful from some of you but I've already decided. Now I know Nothing about the offset and spacing but after reading the sticky I'm a bit more knowledgeable. The rims I'm thinking about are the 2 crave no.4 or no.11 and the sizes are 24x10 with +18mm of offset. They would be on a 305/35 tire and I have an RC 2 inch lift with the spidertrax spacers. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of sizes I'm going to need? Thank you.

-chris

·
1,993 Posts
Don't go any bigger then 32" over all size and you will be fine. The dimensions you gave have you at 32.41" over all height 305\35\24. So some slight rubbing at full lock you might have to cut or reshape some wheel wells but it shouldn't be to bad. I don't know what tire sizes are available but if you went from 35 to 30 you would drop to 31.2" making it a pretty easier fit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll leave the 24" part alone...

but with 10" wide wheels, I doubt that will clear anything easily... Most people have severe rubbing issues when going from 7.5" stock wheels to 9", and you're going all teh way to 10"

so no.. I say won't fit. :)

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Wheels: Wheel 1 Wheel 2
Wheel size 17x7.5 ET 47 24x10 ET 18
BackSpace 155 mm (6.1'') 157 mm (6.2'')
2 mm (0.1'') deeper.
Rim Lip 60 mm (2.4'') wider
Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2
Tire size 245/65-17 305/35-24
Section width 245 mm (9.6'') 305 mm (12'')
Sidewall 159 mm (6.3'') 107 mm (4.2'')
Tire diameter 750 mm (29.5'') 824 mm (32.4'')
74 mm (9.9%) taller.
*Seems TOO tall.
Rim sizes 17x6.5 to 17x9 24x9.5 to 24x11.5
Circumference 2355 mm (92.7'') 2587 mm (101.9'')
Revs per mile 683.4 622
Speedometer Assuming that this is OEM tire and speedometer readings are correct When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 65.9mph (106.1km/h): 9.8% faster.
Clearance: Package 1 Package 2
Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides The same.
Fenders Package will stick out 59 mm (2.3'') farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset.
Wheelwells Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 37 mm. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider lower profiles or smaller rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So then those wheels will fit? And how far will they stick out? I don't want it to look too bad like a pregnant rollerskate. (what my dad calls them)

·
Registered
51 Posts
wheels

I run 20x9 with a +25 offset have no rubbing and that is at stock height, I also have 17x9 on my WK with a 2" running 255/75/17's which is around a 32x11 if I'm remembering correctly, with the offset they stick out about an inch and a half and only rub on full lock, I see no reason why you would want to run spacers with 24's spending that much money on wheels make sure you get something that fits my research shows a 24x9 with a +35 offset would fit, you also need to consider where you want the wheels too sit with the 20x9 with +25 offset my wheels fit almost flush just inside the flares...for a real clean look...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That wheel/tire package will NOT work. The tire size would be 32.4 x 12.00 on a 24x10 wheel. Without the spacers that wheel/tire package will already stick out 2.2 inches farther then stock. Thats really far out. Not only that, but the tire is taller then 32 inches and its 12 inches wide on a 10 inch wheel. You'll never pull that off. It just wont happen with a 2 inch lift, sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a 2 inch BDS spacer lift (and leveling spacer) on my XK with a set of 1.25 inch wheel spacers and 265/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's. Just to fit that I had to re mold the plastic inner fender well and bend over the pinch weld and from time to time I still have rubbing. Your talking about going with a package that will stick out approx. 3/4 of an inch more that has 12 inches wide of rubber. Not only that but those tires would be approx. 1/2 of an inch taller then my tires. It might fit in theory but you wouldnt be able to turn your steering wheel. Just my .02, if that package would clear it would still look ridiculous sitting out that far with a 24 inch wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what if I don't put the spacer on? Will it change a lot if I just have the 2 inch lift?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I guess you didnt understand what I wrote. Even without using the wheel spacers, the wheel/tire package is still going to sit out to far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wheels

Like I said before 24's will definitely fit they fit on a stock commander you have the advantage of having a little more sidewall and a better ride due to the lift, you just need too find the right set up. go to your local tire shop and they should be able too test fit some setups, you're spending alot of money on a setup like that do it right or you will regret it!

NO need for spacers period...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah your right, 24's will fit if they are the proper offset/back spacing and tire size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright good cause I was going to put the lift on regardless but not the spacers. If i get 24's what offset and spacing would be good? I was going to put on a 305/35 tire and if the 24s were gonna be too difficult then I would just go with 22s

·
Registered
104 Posts
Alright good cause I was going to put the lift on regardless but not the spacers. If i get 24's what offset and spacing would be good? I was going to put on a 305/35 tire and if the 24s were gonna be too difficult then I would just go with 22s

again, it's not the dia that's the issues.. 22s, 24s, whatever.. that's fine.

You need to find a wheel that is 8 or 9" wide, with a backspacing of around 4.5-5"ish.

So an 8" with a +18-25mm - ish offset would be about perfect.
a 9" wheel with the same backspace would be more like 0 offset? (I think, beer is making math skills a bit sluggish..)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so the final conclusion to get 24's with around 4.5" of backspacing, and an offset of about 0? Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
542 Posts
On my wheel and tire calculator I get the following stats.........

305/35/24 Tires are 32.4" Tall and 12" Wide
24 X 9" wheel
4.5" Backspacing
-12mm(-0.5") Offset

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
again, it's not the dia that's the issues.. 22s, 24s, whatever.. that's fine.

You need to find a wheel that is 8 or 9" wide, with a backspacing of around 4.5-5"ish.

So an 8" with a +18-25mm - ish offset would be about perfect.
a 9" wheel with the same backspace would be more like 0 offset? (I think, beer is making math skills a bit sluggish..)

That information is incorrect.

On my wheel and tire calculator I get the following stats.........

305/35/24 Tires are 32.4" Tall and 12" Wide
24 X 9" wheel
4.5" Backspacing
-12mm(-0.5") Offset

OK, once again that will not work. That tire/wheel package would stick out 3.4 inches further then stock. Unless he had a 4 inch lift it would NEVER clear.

cmmuse ill make this easy for you. Send me the links to a few wheels that you like and let me know what type of tire you would like to run on that wheel. I'll let you know what size tire you can go with and the exact specs of the wheel for it to fit properly with the amount of lift you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I found a 24 inch wheel that I may buy. It's a 24x9.5. Is this still going to stick out too far? I'm thinking about going down from a 305/35 to a 305/30 instead. What offset would I need to work with a 24x9.5?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts