Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking at getting a set of 22x9.5 rims with 265/40/22 tires. Will these fit on a Commander sitting on stock suspension? And which offset will work without making the Jeep looking like a RC toy 12 or 35??

·
Registered
423 Posts
No offense but putting anything larger than a 18 inch wheel just looks goofy on a Commander. Unless you're going for that "gangster" look. haha

But, in all seriousness I think you'd have some issues clearing the ball joint stud.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I understand but do you really want to sacrifice ride comfort and increase the possibility of bending up those nice wheels? Stick with a 20 inch wheel if you want something street machine and get a decent sidewall for a tire. I have 245/65's as it is (factory size) and I find the sidewall to be small.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You should get the 2" lift then just make sure the overall size of the tire is similar too what I am running. It doesnt matter if you are running 17, 18, 20, or 22 inch rims. All that matters is that overall size. Then try for maybe 5.5 backspacing. Mine is 4.5 and sticks out a little further then what you probaly want.

I understand where u are coming from with 2wd. If I was not a 4x4 I would do the same thing!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That should work fine. The overall tire diameter is 30.4 inches which is about 1/2 taller then the stock tires. The 35mm offset wheels might be alittle close to the steering knuckles and ball joint bolt so you would probablly be better off with the 12mm offset. As long as its +12mm. However the +12mm offset would make the whole wheel tire package stick out 1.7 inches further then stock. So they would stick out a hair past the fender flares which I think would look fine.

·
1,993 Posts
That should work fine. The overall tire diameter is 30.4 inches which is about 1/2 taller then the stock tires. The 35mm offset wheels might be alittle close to the steering knuckles and ball joint bolt so you would probablly be better off with the 12mm offset. As long as its +12mm. However the +12mm offset would make the whole wheel tire package stick out 1.7 inches further then stock. So they would stick out a hair past the fender flares which I think would look fine.
I have to remember to PM you when I start looking for new wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate it. Sorry to disappoint some of you but I think i'll run with 07JeepXK advice. The 20" rims would look pretty good but I'm looking at some beefy 5 spoke black rim with a machine lip and visually always look a little smaller. If I were looking at chrome rims I would definitely go 20" as it would not look as "gangster" ha

·
Registered
696 Posts
Should be able to run tpms as long as the rims are tpms compatible. Thats up to the rim. the jeep will be ok with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I run 20's on my 06 looks, great they have +25 offset, sit flush to flares...
tire size 275/45r20 rides great enough tire to handle rough roads in town but no fun to drive off road on dirt roads even with minor washboard...

I have pics in my gallery

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Outstanding USMCMP! I'll look into the rims I'm considering and check if they are.

lobo15 69 your Commander looks fantastic. I'll definitely consider your setup if I change my mind and decide to go with chrome rims.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Originally wanted to go with black, but My wife didn't like the idea... Wheels were originally purchased for our 05 Grand which is charcoal gray and she doesn't like the dark on dark says I can put black on the Commander now but the wheels are still brand new so I might as well keep things as they are.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love the look of my Commander with 22's, regardless of what anyone says. The stock rims and tires are on right now for the winter which drives me nuts. You should be fine clearing that tire size. My tire size is 265/35/R22 and I have had no problems.

I love how everyone talks about ride comfort. My Jeep rides like a dream with my rims on, I can safely say it rides better than with the stock tires on. It doesn't bounce, or give you a bumpy ride like everyone says. Your best bet is to go with a high performance tire, the rubber is softer and will give you a better ride and look.

Also as far as TPSM go, do yourself the favor and stick with OEM ones. If the rims will be on the Jeep permanently, use your stock ones, if not, spend the extra cash to get OEM ones. I had to replace all 4 of my generic ones with Mopar. It didn't cost me more that 50 bucks for them, it was just a hassle of having them replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lobo15 69 it's an uphill climb changing the ol ladies mind lol. Your Commander still looks great though.

RipTheSix thanks man! I feel a lot more confident getting an opinion from someone who drives a Commander on 22's and not just the usual lifted 4x4 monster (which I terribly jealous of) most Jeeps are configured to. I appreciate it and i'll make sure to get the OEM tmps from the original rims.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No problem, any time.

I love my Jeep, it turns some serious heads rolling through town. I take my Jeep to Woodward every other night of the cruise and take my GTO on the actually day and everyone seems to like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts