Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying new rims, tires and a 2" RC lift. The rims I'm looking at are 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.5 backspacing. I'm not sure on the tires yet but I want to fit 265/70/17. How far will the tires/rims stick out from the fenders??

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Really far and your going to rub like crazy. Also I wouldn't recommend running a 265mm tire on a 9 inch wide wheel. I'd recommend getting a 8 inch wide. Just my .02

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how far is really far?? I used the wheel calculator and it said it would stick out 2.6" more then stock. What wrong with running that tire on a 9" wide rim?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Far enough past the flare to where your going to have crazy rubbing when you turn the steering wheel. Have you seen pictures of commanders running 1.5 inch wheel spacers? If so add another inch to that.

A wheel that's 9 inches wide is meant for a tire around 12.5 inches wide, not 10.5 inches wide. I mean it can be done but I would never do it. Especially if you ever plan on taking your jeep off the pavement. No wheel protection from the tire. If you check out page 21 of my garage thread you can see pics of my jeep with the 34's on 17x8's and you can see how much past the flares they stick out. The setup you want will stick out even more

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Btw most tire places online will tell you the width of the wheel that's recommended based off the width of the tire. You will see that it says 265/70's are best with a 8 inch wide wheel

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
With Independent Suspension, wheels that have a big difference in offset (from OEM) can cause huge amounts of wear (on tires, suspension and wheel bearing) and unintended effects on alignment or how the suspension reacts during steering over bumps, etc.

That varies from vehicle to vehicle based on the suspension design, so I don't know for sure for the Commander, but it's a risk. If someone that has the setup that you're considering and can tell you they didn't suffer any ill effects, that is good news. If NOT, I seek out more advice or information. As well as the tire rub issues, the effects of dirt and damage from stuff being kicked up by tires that extend past the fenders (which might NOT be legal in some states) you could find your spending money on replacing wheel bearings, suspension parts, your expensive big tires are wearing uneven, and quickly, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yes, those 17x8's will be perfect!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts