Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get a winch bumper for my Commander?

Also, what in the world is the ESP button for? Should I disable it every time I go off road? I read the manual, and I still do not understand when I should turn it off. And what is the difference between partly off (push button), and fully off, (Hold button for 5 seconds). I love this Commander, but I really wish it just had a simple 4WD shifter.

Oh, and does a light come on when this thing automatically goes into 4x4. Like when my rear wheels slip I understand the QT1 will switch over to 4x4. But will it let me know with an icon on the dash???

Lastly, can I trust this QT1 when I bail off into a mud hole? Should I turn off the ESP before I bail off in that mud hole?

Ive had 4x4''s all my life, but never a QT.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Looking for a winch bumper? What country are you from.

At present, we have seen only one USA fabricator (getlost4x4.com) and I believe there is one fabricator up in Canada and one in Australia.

As you can see, I have the getlost bumper and love it.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Looking for a winch bumper? What country are you from.

At present, we have seen only one USA fabricator (getlost4x4.com) and I believe there is one fabricator up in Canada and one in Australia.

As you can see, I have the getlost bumper and love it.
And one in South Africa.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Oh, and does a light come on when this thing automatically goes into 4x4. Like when my rear wheels slip I understand the QT1 will switch over to 4x4. But will it let me know with an icon on the dash???
Quadra-Trac I is a full-time system. It is not technically a 4WD system but rather an AWD (all wheel drive) system. The difference is that it does not have a low range (4Lo). There is no indicator light. Go HERE to see how it works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a true 4x4? I dont guess I mind not having a 4 low as I never used low on my other vehicals much in the past. I mainly use 4 high where I off road.
I still dont understand why the ESP has a "partily off" setting and a "fully off" setting. Should I just ignore the partialy off setting and just turn it off completely every time I go off road?

Im sorry to ask so many questions. But I thought I was getting a true 4x4 when I ordered this thing. My dealer told me it was. The first thing I said when I got in it was "where is the 4x4 shift lever?"

I think I am going to miss my Cheerokee. This Commander is nice, but I want to know I can trust this QT1 when I bail off in a big ol Arkansas Mud Hole.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I NEVER turn mine off and I go off roading as much if not more than most members (just got back 10 minutes ago). You do not need to turn it off at all.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Its not a true 4x4? I dont guess I mind not having a 4 low as I never used low on my other vehicals much in the past. I mainly use 4 high where I off road.
I still dont understand why the ESP has a "partily off" setting and a "fully off" setting. Should I just ignore the partialy off setting and just turn it off completely every time I go off road?

Im sorry to ask so many questions. But I thought I was getting a true 4x4 when I ordered this thing. My dealer told me it was. The first thing I said when I got in it was "where is the 4x4 shift lever?"

I think I am going to miss my Cheerokee. This Commander is nice, but I want to know I can trust this QT1 when I bail off in a big ol Arkansas Mud Hole.
It is a 4x4, but like I said in my previous post, it is technically called an AWD system because it does not have a low range. Did you click the link I provided to see how it works ? And you can trust the QT I. There are plenty of members here who have it and have good things to say about it. Hopefully they will chime in here and put your feelings of doubt to rest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link. I clicked it and I understand how the QT1 works now. But Im still fuzzy on the ESP though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have QT1 with a V6 model and we just got in from 5 inches of fresh snow in South Carolina and let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about!!!!!! We help numerous out of ditches and even came close to helping a fire rescue truck up a steep hill. People were amazed at how the system had such good traction in the wet heavy snow. Now I'm from Northern MI so I know how to play in snow! I even pulled into a deep ditch just to show off the XK's ability to just pull out!!!!! Steep incline combined with fresh wet heavy snow didn't even stand a chance!!!! I can't wait to get a lift and new shoes! I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
In some conditions you will need to turn it partially off, or off. Such as deep, dry sand on the beach. Your vehicle will not move if the ESP is on in certain conditions.

The manual actually does a good job breaking down when to use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have QT1 with a V6 model and we just got in from 5 inches of fresh snow in South Carolina and let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about!!!!!! We help numerous out of ditches and even came close to helping a fire rescue truck up a steep hill. People were amazed at how the system had such good traction in the wet heavy snow. Now I'm from Northern MI so I know how to play in snow! I even pulled into a deep ditch just to show off the XK's ability to just pull out!!!!! Steep incline combined with fresh wet heavy snow didn't even stand a chance!!!! I can't wait to get a lift and new shoes! I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!!!

Sounds great! So did you just leave the ESP on during all that? Or did you turn it off?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Still waiting for the snow to make it's way down to Myrtle Beach. We are supposed to get a "dusting" of about an inch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have read it over and over. I must not be too bright. :)
But I already knew that. LOL!:eek:rangehat:
Essentially, if you feel like you will need wheel spin to gain traction/start off, then the ESP needs to be off. This would be possibly occur in the snow or deep, dry sand. But you may not need to turn it off.

I always turn it off when I go off road because it limits wheel spin otherwise. Even when turned off, the brake assist traction control still works.

You are fine leaving it on in most conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All i have to say is the QT1 is amazing i had a trailblazer before this and now i dont know what i would do without my commander. I just had to pull out a ford explore that could not play in the snow. The tired to go down a snowmobile trail and did not make it to far. I was able to drive all over the place with get joy and a big grin on my face while doing it. I did turn of the esp because there was about a foot and a half of snow and it worked great.. i will post a pic of me pulling it out when i get one

·
Registered
94 Posts
I left it on for the majority of the day but when i pulled into the ditch I turned it off just to play around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We played up in the tahoe snow and our QT1 did AMAZING! When I first found out we didnt have low I was mad! LOL. But the Commander handles really well without it. We havent had time to go up in the mountains and play with our jeep since we lifted it and put tires on it...but I cant wait till we do! :rofl:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You guys have really made me feel better about my purchase. I understand the ESP for the most part now. Im ready to bail off in that mud hole. Cant wait to put a lift on it and some bigger tires!

I know one thing. This thing has more leg room than anything I ever had. Its a great ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts