Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been difficult getting time to work on this but finally got back to it. I have the front hitch mount bolted in and will give it a test before I put all the plastic fascia back on. Sorry but that won't be until Monday...overcommitted this weekend. In the meantime, I have a question. Below is a pic of a small "unit" that was attached to the grill toward the passenger side. It has 2 small wires running to it.

Can anyone tell me what it is for? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple pictures of the front hitch mount completely bolted in but the grill and bumper fascia are obviously still off. For now, I have just twisted a copper wire around the "unit" I mentioned in the previous post to keep it secured. Also, I couldn't stand the bright red so I brushed a coat of black glossy rustoleum on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's been difficult getting time to work on this but finally got back to it. I have the front hitch mount bolted in and will give it a test before I put all the plastic fascia back on. Sorry but that won't be until Monday...overcommitted this weekend. In the meantime, I have a question. Below is a pic of a small "unit" that was attached to the grill toward the passenger side. It has 2 small wires running to it.

Can anyone tell me what it is for? Thanks.
I think that is the Temp/thermometer...which is where you get the temp reading from that is on your dash panel.......this is my guess, judging by the photo.....there are other threads on the site if you do a search for it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
So, GP, are you going to stay with the black or is that just for now.....meaning....i thot you were going to color match it?.....or are you just going to plug the square with a lic. plate cover?

it looks like this whole set up may be good. I hope it stands up to the abuse with any testing you do....i want this product to suceed....im getting kind of excited to see it in action and the final finished product.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I think that is the Temp/thermometer...which is where you get the temp reading from that is on your dash panel.......this is my guess, judging by the photo.....there are other threads on the site if you do a search for it.
That is what I think it is also.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for tip about thermometer guys. I didn't think it was for airbags but it was starting to worry me.

I will probably try to color match the part that sticks out of the plastic bumper. I depends on how much sticks out and if I can get a cover that disguises it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That is the electronic thermometer. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
ther⋅mom⋅e⋅ter
   /θərˈmɒmɪtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ther-mom-i-ter] Show IPA
–noun
an instrument for measuring temperature, often a sealed glass tube that contains a column of liquid, as mercury, that expands and contracts, or rises and falls, with temperature changes, the temperature being read where the top of the column coincides with a calibrated scale marked on the tube or its frame.

ther⋅mo⋅cou⋅ple
   /ˈθɜrməˌkʌpəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [thur-muh-kuhp-uhl] Show IPA
–noun Physics.
a device that consists of the junction of two dissimilar metallic conductors, as copper and iron, in which an electromotive force is induced when the conductors are maintained at different temperatures, the force being related to the temperature difference: used to determine the temperature of a third substance by connecting it to the junction of the metals and measuring the electromotive force produced.:stickpoke::stickpoke::rofl:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could it be something to measure temperature? Maybe a thermo-coupler-mom-o-meter. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Thanks for tip about thermometer guys. I didn't think it was for airbags but it was starting to worry me.

I will probably try to color match the part that sticks out of the plastic bumper. I depends on how much sticks out and if I can get a cover that disguises it.

Do you have any guess as to were the square part will stick out from.....meaning have you looked at where you will be needed to cut the whole in the plasic. Im using the Lic. Plate holes a reference. would it be toward the top two whole or bottom two hole, or right in the middle?....do you think the wholes would be in the same spot universally on all the XKs?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't looked at it yet Ped, I just barely got the mount on last evening, then took my wife to dinner and a play. Now I'm at my son's working on his kitchen remodel this weekend. I'll get back to you Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
DONE!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Looks like your XK is eating with this mouth open again.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts