Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there has been a few times mentioned on this site about people steeling winches off of a vehicle. I was reading about it on the internet and ran across mention of another problem.......
I read this and was wondering if there is a ways to prevent this from happening, or if this is a fluke thing that just happened this person.

"Here's one for the book that I honestly hadn't thought of when I chose a winch.There have been instances where vandals unwound the cable and hooked it to the trailer hitch. The winch control contacts were shorted which drew the cable in crushing the top of the vehicle. "

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing. It is possible to release the lock and pull out the winch cable. With a small piece of wire you could jump the winch controller to pull the line in or out. I'm sure that there would be some damage if the cable was tightened while going over the roof but I doubt that it would be able to pull tight enough to "Crush" the roof.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I saw a guy try to pull a boat out of the water using a winch.....cable ran over the top of a car.....the car had a nice deep crease in the roof and the boat was still sitting on the bottom...

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
my winch controller is under the hood. no one can steal or mess with the controller.

but i do have idiots releasing the break on it all the time. it just makes the cable on the drum go loose. i just respool it anytime i winch.

you could get your bolts on your winch tack welded to keep most people from stealing your winch. with my bumper design the vandals would have to completely remove the bumper to steal my winch. they can't short the wiring because the control box has the relays and directs power to the right places.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I don't think there is any easy way to steal a winch off a GetLost bumper - I'm going to have to take the bumper OFF before I can install it. As far as winching it to itself, I suppose it's possible, but why would someone go to all that trouble? Wouldn't it be easier to slash tires and break windows if a vandal just wanted to cause damage?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
my winch controller is under the hood. no one can steal or mess with the controller.
This is a really good idea, I don't live in an area where people would mess with anything but it would make a nice clean and neat look to the winch not having a box on top. I know the plastic box always gets broken and is ugly. I will have to wire my winch up this way when I get my getlost winch mount

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I have never heard of this as well, anything is possible, but this is not going to be a concern of mine.

·
2,248 Posts
I think that they would have a hard time getting to my winch locked up in the storage compartment. I also like the idea of it not being exposed to the weather. My disconnect for the power lead is also under the hood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts