Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Stay away from T-max.

i cannot get any replacement parts for mine.

luckly it works good. just be aware that right now they have no parts.

If you need a good Cheap winch. Bulldog.com

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I am thrilled with my Warn Powermate! (winch & air)

·
Administrator
15,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I just got a Superwinch LP8500 but have not used it yet. The Superwinch looks to be very well built but it needs a good test, it is on the CJ7 right now. My MileMarker 9000 is a great winch. It is extremely well built and very durable. It has plenty of power to spare I will see how it does on the XK. I guess thats why the milemarker slogan is "abused worldwide"

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone else has any "review' web page links with real world experience please post the link.
I will be buying a recovery winch (probably lower priced) by summer. I usually research until I am exhausted before i actually make the purchase.
I have read lots of review about different brands...but some web sites only post the good reviews....
and other that post the bad review, sometimes base their opinion off one bad thing before truly testing the winch in the field.
I have been looking strongly at the Gorillia 8000 waterproof/wireless one....i have seen both good and bad....be the only bad thing i read was that some guy got a one that wouldnt work, but he never elaborated on it....others have said they work good.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I suggest the Superwinch LP8500 mainly for the price. No matter what you choose I suggest getting a snatch block or pulley block with it because if you get really REALLY stuck you may want to have the extra pulling power.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not my experience, but my friend told me there was one thing he didn't like about his Warn winch - no brake. When you let off the switch it will keep winding as the motor spins down.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
T-Max 9000 outback

Pros:

*cheap
*6.6 HP
*good gearing
*pulls the commander out of most situations without needing a pully block
*wireless remote control
*1 year warrenty

Cons

*right now it is hard to get replacement parts for

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I asked my wife about getting this wench for my Jeep but she wasn't thrilled with the idea.
:ugh2:

·
Administrator
15,242 Posts
Here we go again...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I bought a used Ramsey REP6000. It worked like a champ for us last winter in very deep snow. When I bought it, it had no solenoids, no controller, and needed new wire rope. I added that and welded up a receiver mount for the rear. Now I'm putting on a front receiver mount from GetLost4x4 for the winch.

Now that I know more, the REP6000 may be a bit light for my Commander. I think something in the 8000 or a little larger range would be preferred. But it works ok so far.

I see that Ramsey's are made in USA. Btw, Bulldogs are made in China.

·
Administrator
15,242 Posts
Wha?? I can't remember where I stole that picture from. Did I get from you?
No, but every once in a while we get this wench thing going where people start posting pics of wEnches (not wInches).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For those who want to know what the difference is between different types and brands of winches, here is a link to another forum with a very good write up and explanations. It also may help in deciding how much to spend on a winch, and what are some of the common problems with cheeper winches.
FOR FYI for those in the market for a recovery winch. I found this guys insights very helpful.

I also cut and pasted most of his info in the following couple posts incase this link is shut down someday.

NOTE***this is not my info or experience****
I copied it from another Forum....here is the link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744390

a few helpful graphic too!!
pull_zone_4x4.jpg

First, there are 3 basic types of winches:

Planetary:

Spur Gear:

Worm Gear:

Planetary winches are a great option for the recreational 4x4 enthusiast. They are relatively affordable, and perform well under occasional use. Although the quality varies the greatest among this sector.

The other types of winches are Spur Gear, and Worm Gear winches. These are industrial winches. If your going to use your winch 5, 10, 50 times a day, buy a Spur or Worm Drive winch. Also notice that I showed pictures of almost every winch in this market. The Ramsey shown is almost identical to what you will find on almost every flat bed wrecking truck on the road today. The Superwinch Husky is an offroad recovery worm drive winch. Then, we all know the Warn 8274. Worm drive winches are also the only winches which are designed to power a load out.

As I mentioned, the big difference comes in the Planetary gear winches.
The largest issues with these winches come from poor build quality. Its very common to have 1 or 2 85 amp solenoids going to a 400 amp motor. Thus, the solenoids will melt. Also, the motors do not have a long duty cycle. Heat becomes a killer for these winches. Planetary drive winches use a brake to hold the load in place. Normally it does not work very well. When you power out, the brake engages, and is always pushing against the winch. Guess, what, this creates heat.

For those who like to run synthetic winch line, this heat will melt the winchline. Most winches (warn's, milemarker's, ramsey's, etc) have the brake under the winch drum. This means as you power out the winch will heat up, and melt the winch line. While most have sidestepped this issue by using fireline, it still is a problem. The only manufacturer who has an external brake, is superwinch, in their EP series winches:

Another issue with synthetic winchline is it is very slick, thus causing it to slide in-between the underlaying layers on the winch drum. With steel cable, it is very easy to spool the cable, so it is nice and tight, avoiding this issue. Even with with best spool job, synthetic winchline will slip in-between the lower layers. This causes a very hard side-load on the winch:

On the Warn winches, it will cause the casting of the winch to snap off at the cross bars. I wish I had a good photo of when one broke on my co-worker in Maine. It made a bad situation worse.

Next is going into rating. Some manufacturers rate the winches at their stall speed and some rate their winches at their working load. So, YES one manufacturer can call a winch a 8,000, and some could call it 10,000.

I don't know if you can tell, but I have had to use ALOT of winches, and prefer Superwinch. They just seem to be built better. I have also had a lot of problems with Warn Winches. But this could also be because I have used 10 warn winches to every other winch out there. I personally feel, if you want a REALLY good winch, you should suck it up and buy a worm, or spur drive winch. I love the superwinch husky, but its stupid expensive. The Warn 8274 is awesome, but so fast, it can get unsafe. I ended up picking up a Ramsey re12000 for my current truck, because they are priced right, and short of some bad solenoids (easy to swap in superwinch solenoids), are really good winches.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*********""""Originally Posted by 3vze
Since GRMhick is the winchmeister. Perhaps you could give me some insight on a ****tybilt XRC8 vs a M8000 vs a Chicago electric 8000lb

Im actually trying to get a M12000 from a guy right now, but if that falls thru I would probably rethink it and look at the xrc8. I went to 4wheelparts and looked at one in person. It looks nice but ive never used a winch so I dont know my ass from a hole in the ground in that aspect. It could look nice and have gears made of wax for all I know.

I looked at an RE8000 last week from a guy on craigslist who thought it was a RE12000. That thing was a effin monster. No way it would even fit on my yota unless the bumper stuck out like a foot. """"""**********

Ha ha. I was hoping you wouldn't ask about the Smittybilt winch. Its one of the few I have NOT used. Although, when you look at the specs next to a warn, it makes any educated buyers wonder why they would want the warn:

See, the specifications on the Smittybult are better! More hp, with less gearing means a faster winch, which does not slow down as much under hard pulls. Warn put in a lower hp motor, and increased the gearing to get the same 8000lb rating out of it.

Also remember the size of the drum acts as a gear too. While not an issue with the 2 winches in question, it becomes something to look at when comparing other winches on the market. Just think: Torque=ForcexDistance So the farther the cable is from the center of the pivot (the drum) the less torque is applied through the winch cable. Thus, less pulling power.

So the smaller the drum of the winch, the more torque you get out of the winch cable. The larger the drum, the less torque out of the winch, but the faster the speed. This also works the other way around. The more wraps on the winch drum, the less power a winch can exert. This will easily drop the pulling power of your 8000lb winch to 4500lbs.

Moving onto the Chicago Electric winch. This is one I have used. After using other winches, this thing feels like it is straight out of 1945. When it gets a load on it, the winch moves SLOW. It also makes so much noise you think that it is un-oiled and the gears are about to seize up. One thing I really don't like about the winch is that the passenger side of the winch spins with the drum. I'm not a big fan of external parts to the winch moving. Its one more chance to get fingers caught up and pinched.

One winch I have been impressed by (for the price) is the milemarker SE9500C:

My buddy Max runs one on his Jeep. What I like the most about this winch is it has a thermal cutout switch. So when the winch gets hot, it shuts down. Keeps dummies like me from frying a substantial chunk of change. I wish more winches has this feature.

Hydraulic winches are awesome. They will pull a house down. But they are not well suited for vehicle recovery. A vehicle needs to be running for the winch to work. There are quite a few situations where it is safer to have the vehicle off, or it is rolled over, and needs to be winched back up. This task is not possible with a hydraulic winch. For our purposes, the electric winch is the only way to go.

Winch looks good! Having 4 crossbars should help quite a bit supporting a synthetic winchline. Just remember, try your best never to power out, and keep as few wraps on the drum as possible to help prevent any side loading to the winch. Synthetic line needs about 10 wraps on a bare drum before you can winch off of it. I'd try my best to keep it there as much as possible. One easy way to help with this is to have 70' of winchline on the drum, and carry a 50' winch extension line with you.

One other point I should mention is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear gloves when winching. Even with synthetic line. Steel cable will get burs in it, and poke your hand. Synthetic line picks up outside elements as it is dragged across the ground. A small stick doesn't seem too bad until it is gouged into your hand!

Also make sure to wear a glove that will fall off easily. If a winch cable were to catch your glove, you want the glove to easily come off of your hand so your hand is not sucked into the winch. This is especially important with the warn 8274 and its 74 ft/min line-speed.

I suggest using a rappelling glove. I use PMI's. And if I can find the PMI heavy-duty gloves, I buy those.

As you can see rappelling gloves have an extra layer across your palm to help keep your hands safe. Thick enough to help protect, but still thin enough to allow movement. Perfect for recreational winching.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another something I feel I should add for your reference:

Bill Burke Signature Series Husky 10. The true cats ass of electric recovery winches.

And the winch I feel is the best bang for the buck in self recovery winches. It will also bolt to all winch mounting plates. So it works with a Marlin or All Pro Bumper. The Superwinch ep9.0 or epi9.0. Currently $605.95 and $599.95 respectively on summit racing.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/sema2003/DSC08168.jpg

·
Administrator
15,242 Posts
Good information, ped4599. I think it should be in a separate thread as a sticky.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good information, ped4599. I think it should be in a separate thread as a sticky.

thanks. its some other guys knowlege. i just did the cutting and pasting of all the images and text.
Im not sure how all the sticky stuff works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts