Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally had a true test of my Rugged Ridge Winch, the 4xguard Matrix front receiver, and pretty much every other piece of armor I have added to my XK.

Its apparent some viewers require a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: The following is just a short story of my first used of the MATRIX in combo with my WINCH. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON FOR THIS THREAD SINCE MANY PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ABOUT EXPERIENCE WITH THE MATRIX. A few photos are thrown in and scattered throughout to help give a mental idea of my situation. The PHOTOS may not coincide chronologically with, or match the text since there is a limit on pics per post. The photos were taken with a WIDE ANGLE LENS, so distortion may occur. Angles in photos may not be perfectly representative of the situation.A leveling tripod was NOT used. THIS thread was created quickly and NOT proof read very well. I dont usually spend much time on the internet, since I have better things to be doing. Photos have been arranged quickly and they fall how they may on your web browse.This thread is NOT intended embellish any feat of the vehicle and/or its operator represented here, only to simply show the experience of using a winch with the MATRIX.

Let me set the stage:
Its 25 degrees. I visited my family farm over the weekend in Iowa. They had not gotten snow for awhile and all the fields appeared dry or frozen. My mom had said everything seems like it was frozen and drying so it wasn't really muddy anywhere. I even saw my brother driving in the fields with a tractor with no issue. SO i decided to go out and take a few photos of my jeep with the new 4xG side guards and read slides. I had it fairly cleaned up and had the MT tires on so I thought this would be a perfect time for a photo op.

I went over to a pasture that has several ditchs where I have played around many times before and set up a photo. It was looking good....good lighting..all seem good.

Then I walked down in to the large gully you can see in the back ground of this first photo. I was frozen solid ground and seemed dry. I have been down in there many times and some years its muddy and some times its dry....this seemed like it would be solid. i was going to driving in and climb the other side. But once i was down there i could tell there was a greasy layer benether the frost layer. when i tried going up the other face it was all mud and I slid back down into the main ditch. I thought that it would not be a big deal since i could drive down the ravine and out the end....but as i did, i broke through the top layer of frozen dirt.

Apparently the top 3-4 inches of dirty/mud was frozen making it look like it was dry dry ground, but this layer was basically just acting as a bridge, covering the Swap that was below.

When my tires broke through in to the mucky greasy swamp, I was hung up.

I could see I would need to get pulled out some how. Rather than calling my brother to pull me out, since i figured then we would have 2 vehicles stuck in there, I thought I would make quick recovery with my winch and be on my way.
BUT, little did I know the deep bottomless swap was only going to get deeper, which my only way out was past it.

At this point here I am still just high centered on the frozen crust of dirt with my wheels hanging down.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I got out my winch and hooked it up and pulled on a nearby tree just over the edge of the wall of the ditch.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So you cant see i did a 'no-no' and just wrapped the winch rope around the the tree since i didnt have much time. I know its best to use a tree strap since doing this can damage a cable, its not as bad with the rope winches, especially since mine has the protective shroud.

so the plan is to just use this to help me off high center but let the jeep do much of the work as it would hopefully just move up and out of the ditch along the side hill.
It didn't look like it would take very much effort by the winch to get me out.

Once i came up out of the holes, i wrapped up the rope and tried to drive out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
the suspense is building! Can't wait to read the rest.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Maybe he is still stuck :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish it was zombies!
I think it was actually a swamp monster!

Continuing on...

I used the winch to help me along the side of the hill, trying to keep my moment since i was out of the original holes.

I had mud flung everywhere, but i didnt get much momentum.

There was too much angle and I keep sliding down closer to the bottom of the ditch, which by now i had discovered was a very deep, muddy pit, with a 3 inch layer of partially frozen surface.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm liking this. It's like a 4xGuard advertisement.

I did NOT pay this man!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
At first, it looked like i was doing well, but i was running out of space since I was nearly parrallel to the tree, So i re-hooked to this tree out in front.

...this time straight out in front on a tree about 90 ft away...which i have about 94 feet of rope.

You can see that i was taking this photo from level ground. Looking back at the Jeep you can see how much angle the jeep is at on the slippery side hill. And that wasnt even as steep of an angle as the jeep would see before i was done.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Once I hooked up in on the front tree, I was making progress but the angle got steeper and steeper.
To clarify, for you sir, this photo here is NOT the photo of the angle when the front fell through...its a simlar photo to the one shown before, but its a different frame which i used to show the contrasting points of view since the former photos were used and we are only allowed so many pics per post. I DONT have any photo of that point in time since i was trying to rig the winch quickly and then drag the front end. this photo just gives an idea of that situation, if you. the second photo down from here show the front end after it dropped through. Now imagine this point here with the front end sunk to the bumper....you may have to use your imagination here and picture if from the front to get the gist of it. my focus was NOT on getting perfectly composed photos, i was just hurrying to get the winch going.

and then the corner of jeep fell in to the abyss and I knew, or it felt like, i was on the verge of tiping. Once the right side sunk up to the bumper, I knew if i continued this line, it may roll the whole vehicle.

Im standing on the other side of the main area, looking down at my jeep. Though the photos may not portay this, it was at a bad angle.
Getting in and out of the jeep was like lowering my self down into a tank.

This photo is looking straight down at the jeep.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was pushing frozed ground that acted like pushing bricks!

There was a lot of side pull on this rig, and i was just praying that the 4xG matrix would hold and not rip the whole front of my jeep off, or twist the frame rails.

It really took some abuse at these slanted pulls.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had come along way in very sticky mud so far.

but since i was feeling i would tip, i did the last thing i wanted to and hooked across the creek to a tree on the other side and pull myself into the main swap area to level me out and get off the side hill.

then i re hooked back to the front tree and pulled some more and put the pedal down.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally I got my front end up and out of the muck and on the level, and then the Jeep could get traction.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was pretty deep. I didnt even realize how bad it was till i was out and looked back at the tracks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So my washing the jeep was a waste before the weekend. I guess i still got some photos, but they were what i had planned.
And it took about 30 bucks to get the out of the underneath side of the Jeep.

OH, here is my photo of the side guards that i just got put on.

hehe

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Until I got the tires washed out, I couldnt go over 40 mph.

Oh, another shot showcasing my side guards....see them....they are in there somewhere...

hehe

and the rear sliders....

Truthfully, I think the rear sliders and the side guards really saved my vehicle body, cause the frozen chunks of ground were hards as rocks. The plastic and side would have taken the same abuse as if i were rock crawling.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More aftermath....

I wanted to get the wheels washed since the temps were dropping as night fell, the mud was freezing to my rig, but the car wash was 20 miles away. it was a rough riding 20 miles!.hehe

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was very impressed with the matrix front reciever. I really thought i would twist it. It really took some hard sideways pulls. But it held, and i have not noticed any damage to it. the front guard skid may be pushed up a bit but not much. only a slight tweak that can be fixed.

One thing to note is this winch is an 8500. I should have used the snatch block pulley. and from now on I always will. It was a hard pull and since i wasnt able to string it out to the last layer, it was a hard pull on the motor. When you are sucked into mud it more than doubles the weight of the vehicle when you pull.

Im just glad I made it out!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts