Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on the internet for a winch and i found there was a superwinch for a decent price. Now i spoke with a person fomr the company and they said it mouts where my tow hook is that is is direct fit for the jeep commander does any one have any idea where this would mount to the turck or will i have to buy or build something to mount it to?:confused: thank you

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Can you send us a link? Never heard of a direct mounting winch for the commander. The only person making a bumper that will hold a winch for the commander is 4.7.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Some people make the hitch mounts that go into the hitch receiver on the back of the Jeep. I considered one before I knew 4.7 was making his.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so this winch does not mount on to the commander as some websites are saying?

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
no, there are no direct mounting systems. i looked at their website. nothing.

sorry.

thats kind of an idea i have on the back burner right now. someday i may get around to it.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I just called and spoke with Mike in the sales department over at Superwinch and he said they dont have anything specific for a Commander. The do have a 9,000 lb winch that is capable of being used on the Commander but no mounting brackets. He said they have a mount that can be used with a 2" receiver on the front but nothing to mount to where the tow hooks go.
http://www.superwinch.com/Supermount_Kits.html

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
At least you won't have to deal with storing a compressor in your XK. But that wouldn't be an issue if you mounted a small compressor in the engine compartment.

I like the idea of both in one unit. Having it out would only make me wonder if it could get messed up due to exposer to the elements.

·
Registered
283 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I am thinking about installing this winch on the Getlost4X4 bumper, what are your thoughts?

Also wondered about the benifits of seperate air/winch vs. the combined unit?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/PowerPlant-Dual-Force-HP.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6407&t_pn=WAR71800
These are quite popular on JKs, due to the lack of space under the hood. However, my buddy that has one advises it is HEAVY! He ended up putting beefier springs on the front to get his handling back.

All 3 JKs in the picture have them:

My buddy's JK:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I am concerned with the weight of the new GetLost4X4 bumper and weight combination. I may have to do something to beef up the front end anyway. I check to see what the weight dif is between one with air (113 lbs) and one without (90 lbs) and it looks like about 25 lbs.

Also what is the minimum pound rating you would put on a XK? This winch was at 9,500 Lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
a49er,
I plan to put the 12,000 lbs PowerPlant on my XK. I found a guy on eBay that sells both the 9500 and 12000 for the same price and it turns out his business is right in Albuquerque so I can do a local pick up. Of course thats another 100lbs added to the front end.

a49erFootballFan said:
I am concerned with the weight of the new GetLost4X4 bumper and weight combination. I may have to do something to beef up the front end anyway. I check to see what the weight dif is between one with air (113 lbs) and one without (90 lbs) and it looks like about 25 lbs.

Also what is the minimum pound rating you would put on a XK? This winch was at 9,500 Lbs.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:

I wouldn't go below 9,000 for the XK. As far as weight goes for the front, I would put the OME Heavy Duty Struts.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Phunkeydude said:
a49er,
I plan to put the 12,000 lbs PowerPlant on my XK. I found a guy on eBay that sells both the 9500 and 12000 for the same price and it turns out his business is right in Albuquerque so I can do a local pick up. Of course thats another 100lbs added to the front end.
Wish you found this BEFORE you came to AZ, you cold have saved me some shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
So there is another difference between the 9500 lbs (71800) and 12000 lbs (71801). The 71800 comes with a 125' - 5/16" cable and the 71801 is a 80' 3/8" cable. I think the 71800 would be more that capable of pulling the XK and I think it would be more important to have a longer cable. I now think I would prefer the 71800.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The 71800 is rated at 9,500 lbs which should also be more than enough to pull the XK out of a spot.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Oh and the gear ratio is different between the two 156:1 vs 261:1. I had asked 4.7 a while back about mounting one of those on his bumper and he said should be no problem, just get him the bolt pattern...found in the owners manual:
http://www.warn.com/images/925/73203.A0_rdr.pdf
Page 7

10.0" x 4.5", 254mm x 114.3mm mounting bolt pattern

A 71800 is for me. I like the idea of a dual unit on the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I sent a PM to 4.7, he must be working today but I look forward to his response. I think I will end up with the smaller one as well.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i was gone camping. PM's were sent.

i have no problems pulling my commander up hills with my 9000# winch. so that should be up to the duty.

100' cable is a must for me. sometimes the trees are pretty far away from the trail.

i'm also looking at springs and shocks for the front of mine. i'm planning on the OME's heavy duty springs and bilstien shocks up front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts