Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 Quadra-Trac II
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been alot of discussion about wind noise so I read them all and I still haven't been able to pinpoint where I am getting this annoying wind noise from , It sounds like a window is a bit open almost .

I have already used 3m tape along my windshiled and sunroof to eliminate them as the source . I am sure its from the door seal area ,I have the foaminserts in place so thats not the issue . Today while driving home I stuck my finger inbetween the thick rubber seal on the top of the inside driver side door and I notice the door is not 100 percent tight it was moving in and out almost pinching my finger at speeds of 40-55 , basically it was flexing so I was wondering if this should be tighter and if anyone could maybe try and stick your finger between that rubber seal while driving and let me know if your door is moving aswell it would be a great help as I try to pinpoint this wind problem . I may have to adjust the striker bolt not sure yet . thanks

· Registered
158 Posts
You need to check the seal margins. Close the doors with a piece of paper in them and see how much effort it takes to pull the paper out. Their needs to be some preassure from the door to the seal contact surface. Then adjust the door striker as needed. You want the back edge of the doors very slightly proud to the door/1/4 panel, behind it. If that edge is exposed, it will be supseptible to rock chips. If you door is moving in/out like you say the striker neeeds to go in.

· Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 Quadra-Trac II
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to check the seal margins. Close the doors with a piece of paper in them and see how much effort it takes to pull the paper out. Their needs to be some preassure from the door to the seal contact surface. Then adjust the door striker as needed. You want the back edge of the doors very slightly proud to the door/1/4 panel, behind it. If that edge is exposed, it will be supseptible to rock chips. If you door is moving in/out like you say the striker neeeds to go in.

Thanks ill check it with a paper tomorrow ,Never thought of that . Im hoping the striker going in a tad will resolve it . I had been trying to locate this for a long time now haha and I was shocked when I noticed the door had almost 1/4 inch of in out movement . thanks

· Registered
158 Posts
Tha is too much in/out movement. When the seals a geen (new). they are stiffer, and thru time they soften up and the doors may need adjusting, due to this. One way they adjust the strikers in the plant, is to lossen the striker bolts some, than lightly slam the door. this will move the striker in and then open the door and re-torque the bolts down.

· Registered
887 Posts
I could be wrong but the door strikers not adjustable. Checked into this some time back and they do not move. The procedure in the service manual is a very complex adjustment of the front door himges. If I am wrong please show me the procedure so I can tighten mine up also. I used to access to the service manual from an online source but it appears that the link was removed. I will check with my source and see if I can post the procedure that my research uncovered.

Reactions: XKJeepFan

· Registered
158 Posts
I could be wrong but the door strikers not adjustable. Checked into this some time back and they do not move. The procedure in the service manual is a very complex adjustment of the front door himges. If I am wrong please show me the procedure so I can tighten mine up also. I used to access to the service manual from an online source but it appears that the link was removed. I will check with my source and see if I can post the procedure that my research uncovered.
Their adjustable, if I recall the striker has 2 Torx screws attaching them to the body. loosen them up and I usually tap the striker inboard with a plastic mallet. The key is to go slowly, if you've never adjusted the them before. Its not hard at all to do.

· Registered
34 Posts
I had the same symptoms you describe here. I just got some weather stripping and put it on the door so when you close it it pushes up against the weather stripping on the door frame. It's insanely low profile, you don't notice it whatsoever and it all but completely got rid of my wind noise. Only does it on the driver's side door, I would assume because it's the most used door and has 140k on the clock.

Let me know if this helps you at all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts