Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I purchased a new Commander last night. during the roadtest i noticed a bad wind noise from the lower left of the windshield, but I was very impressed with the vehicle. So I drove another one and the noise wasnt there. After we agreeded to buy it I told the salesman about the wind noise, he said no promblem that he woud have it looked at first thing in the morning. Then they would detail it so we could pick it up. I just got a call from him saying the wind noise is normal. I tried to explaim to him that the other one I drove didnt have it. Does anyone one else have a wind noise?:(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Wind noise

Had our Cmdr since Dec 18, no wind noise in the front*, so keep after the dealership.
*I usually have one of the rear windows cracked ~½", I've always thought it helped the air circulation. And expunge the exhaust fumes if there ever were any. Ye olde habits....

·
Registered
50 Posts

I made a similar mistake with a previous car: it made a noise from the vent which the dealer said he'd fix. Long story short, it spent 6 days at the dealer, they changed a bunch of parts and the noise is still there. In my situation it was a used car so i had no alternative to it - other than not getting at all. But you said you drove one that didn't make the noise...why did you not buy that one?

·
Registered
114 Posts

I'm very impressed about how well outside sounds are eliminated in my Commander -- you'd definitely want to think twice about buying one with an annoying sound until you were perfectly satisfied they'd fixed the problem.. Indeed, it does sound like a seal problem but maybe they have the roof rack crossbars skewy or some such?

There's an addendum with the owner's manual that explains where the cross bars should be for maximum quiet. They should be set at the first and fourth little triangle markers, according to the addendum. They're also asymmetrical and need to face the wind a certain way.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

edlv said:
I made a similar mistake with a previous car: it made a noise from the vent which the dealer said he'd fix. Long story short, it spent 6 days at the dealer, they changed a bunch of parts and the noise is still there. In my situation it was a used car so i had no alternative to it - other than not getting at all. But you said you drove one that didn't make the noise...why did you not buy that one?
Because it was a limited model and out of my price range

·
Registered
1 Posts

Purchased 4.7 V-8 Commander 12-28-05 from Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach, Fl. Spent all day in shop trying to get high pitched whistle coming thru drivers side of dash fixed. It is extremely noticeable at speeds over 45 mph especially when driven into the wind.
Service dept said they were aware of the problem but had no fixes nor had they rec'd any repair bulletins from Daimler/Chry. Suggested I use the recirculation selector and not fresh air intake. (It helps some but does not fix the problem.)
Sales dept said they didn't build the vehicle and if I wasn't happy I should file suit under the Lemon Law. Next step is to contact DaimlerChrysler Customer Center, PO Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, Mi, 48321-1997. 800-992-1997. www. jeep.com.
Anyone with another suggestion? It is not the roof rack.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

Unless Florida has a Lemon Law much different than the rest of the US... the dealer is passing the buck. For the Lemon Law to take effect the dealer actually has to ATTEMPT to fix the problem. Them saying that they "didn't build the vehicle" is ridiculous. DUH! We know you didn't build it but we expect you to service it! Suggestion, force the dealer to fix the problem and once it is fixed never go back to that dealer (if there are others within a reasonable distance) again!

·
Registered
124 Posts

Mine has a noise, too. i just let it slide.

Take the car in to the same dealer and ask for warranty work. they are not the ones that you can ask for a new car. Just have them document that you want it fixed and a description of what you think the problem is. Let them document whatever they want as the fix, even if it is could not duplicate or is as specified. That is an attempt. then take it back again and again, until you give them 5 tries, or until they refuse service (which they can not). That will help you if you start the lemon process as it will show that the dealer / manufacturer had ample opportunity to fix it. If not, you will be sent bakc and they will tear your rig up just to stop the noise and screw you.

·
Registered
204 Posts

TSB 23-004-06 covers several wind noise issues. I fixed one so far that had the whistle nois and it was a gap in the sealer at the cowl to a pillar joint. Sealed it up and the whistle was gone. This is a fairly recent bulletin.

·
Registered
107 Posts

When I picked up my Commander, same problem, tons of wind noise. The problem was the roof rack, when the dealership installed the two adjustable crossbars the front one was installed backwards, they are marked on top of the bars as to which is front and rear and the direction they should be facing, it took me 2 minutes to fix in my driveway, this sound like the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same problem-the noise is in the dash, both passenger and driver side. I have taken my Commander in one time. The dealership said they could not find anything and where not aware of any repair bulletins. I only notice the noise when it is windy outside and I am going above 45 or 50 mph. It is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I took mine in the other week because of the wind noise. The sound is absolutely annoying. I mentioned the service buletin mentioned previously in this thread and the dealer has acknowledged it. They ordered a brand new drivers side side view mirror to replace the current one. They feel that this should correct the problem. Perhaps they have redesigned it. The dealer left a copy of the service buletin in my Jeep when I picked it up and it was 5 pages long detailing approximately 6 different causes/issues with wind noise.

I will post a follow up once they install the new side view mirror to see if it goes away...:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts

JPK, any chance you could summarize the various wind noise causes/issues in the bulletin? It might help a lot of folks.

That said, I don't have wind noise problems so far (11k miles)...

Thanks!

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weird Noise

Hello:

Got a Commander with 11,000 miles on it. Bought it new last December.

It has developed a weird noise in or about the center of the dash board close to the front.

The noise is there and then it's not. Worst is when I go over 60 mph. It has something to do with air flow I think but not sure. Nothing to do with air-condidtioning I am pretty sure.

The noise is really hard to discribe but sounds Kinda like the sound of the old morse code only some times the noise lasts longer and sometimes it is very brief.

Almost sounds like a high pitched air leak of a window, but not quite that.

Noise is not in engine or wheels. In the Dash for sure.

Anyone got any ideas aboit it? It is really loud.

Help Please.

I live in a very remote region of NE Arizona and the nearest dealer is almost 3 hours away.

see ya

Hards1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Weird Noise

My commander just developed the same noise. I think it has to do with the crack glass that I have. I ordered the new wind shield. The noise seems to happen at higher seeds. Air leak might be the issue. Nice to see another az commander here. maximo

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Weird Noise

It probably is air/wind related. The dealer probably will not be able to help you so don't drive three hours just for that. I do not (yet) have this problem with my Commander but I have it with a Grand Cherokee and two different dealers have failed to figure it out. The first dealer's srvice manager said none of his employees could duplicate the sound and that it must be my hearing. So I insisted that he ride with me. When I got up to sixty and asked him if he could hear it, he said no, seventy, same thing, seventy-five, same thing. When I floored it and got to about ninety-five, he said ' I hear it, I hear it, please slow down". But they never could fix it.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts