Jeep Commander Forum banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Whistling sound in the Commander???

webjones said:
Resealing, even replacing the windshield did not solve the whistling noise for me. It turned out to be the stop on the air conditioner actuator that controls the recirculation door. Make sure they test with the air conditioner on and on 'recirculate'. There's a TSB for this one, too.
Thanks, I have had this buging me for two months and it only happen's when the air is on. The Dealer cloudn't find the problem, I'll bring this up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Wind Noise/Whistle at Windshield (Threads Merged)

My commander is only 1 month only and I am getting the noise from the right side top (I think) of the windshield when traveling 75 plus mph. This occurs sometimes only. What can this be since most complaints are around 45 mph? Any speed under 75 and the truck is quite as can be.

·
Registered
686 Posts

See if it makes the noise with the A/C on recirculate and if it does not make the noise with the A/C not on recirculate. If this is the case, look at this TSB:

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2400306.pdf

When I had the dealer check mine out they kept messing around with the windshield, to no avail. I eventually found this TSB and it was the problem for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quick Fix Do-it-yourself if it is not the AC problem and it is the windshield:

If you look at the top side of the windshield you will notice that there is a canal or groove in the rubber seal that runs from left to right. The side that touches the roof if not sticking properly on the roof will flap against the roof at high temperature and speeds between 45-65 mph and the flapping sound frequency is the whistle sound. However at higher speeds the whistle disappear because the higher speed causes rubber to press against the roof.

Either you make that part of the rubber stick to the roof using silicone sealant or the quicker way is to fill that canal or groove with silicon, not as messy as the other option.

·
Registered
59 Posts

What? I have an 07 and the top of the windshield I cannot see a seal. There is a channel between the roof and where the front windsheild meet. Is this noramal. Can someone show me a picture of a correct windshield. Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

May wind noise started around 65-70 an was fixed by resealing the windshield. 06 XK

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

Elihercu51125 said:
What? I have an 07 and the top of the windshield I cannot see a seal. There is a channel between the roof and where the front windsheild meet. Is this noramal. Can someone show me a picture of a correct windshield. Please Help!!!!
Just to double check, try removing the antenna (it unscrews) and see if it still whistles.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Elihercu51125 said:
That channel is the canal I am referring to. Most cars do not have it.

I filled that up with clear silicon sealant. I did the driver side at first to check if it would do the trick and the whistle became more pronounced on the passenger side. So I filled up the whole channel that made the whistle disappear. I had the dealer fix it when my JC was newer, under 3000 miles, but they did not do it properly. Rather than waiting half a day, I did mine in 15 minutes and waited for the sealant to dry overnight.

·
Registered
59 Posts

What do you mean fill in the canal? I just got off the phone with the dealer and they stated that it may need to be resealed. Do they remove the glass or do they just apply sileant in the crack? If it is just sealeant doesn't that look like [email protected]#$?

·
Registered
139 Posts

You can do it neatly. But it takes a little bit of plumbing skills.

Sealing will also fix it if done properly and its free as long as you point out to the dealer the Technical Service Bulletin that was issued for the JC. However, some dealers don't do it properly just like what happened to mine. If you fill up that canal, you are adding weight to the thin rubber that flaps against the roof and make the whistling sound. Being heavier, it will not flap like it does now.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Another way to identify the problem is to put masking tape over the gasket. Most likely the gasket will need to be replaced. Once the dealer heard the noise they attempted to resolve it through some minor tweaks from the SBs but came to the realization that the problem is the windshield gasket. Again I only hear a noise at high speeds 60+mph and hot days 85+.

·
Registered
437 Posts

I have an 06 for a year an a half and I just started having a noise that sounds like morris code at highway speeds. It seems to be worse when the air is on but still does it sometimes when the air is off. It is very random. Which problem does this sound like?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

walkjon said:
I have an 06 for a year an a half and I just started having a noise that sounds like morris code at highway speeds. It seems to be worse when the air is on but still does it sometimes when the air is off. It is very random. Which problem does this sound like?
It sounds like it's the below TSB. I had the same problem. I picked it back up from the dealership yesterday and hadn't got a chance to see it if worked or not.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/xk_rapid_response_06-027.pdf

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm sure you've found the answer by now. I had to have my windshield resealed. That didnt' work. Then they had to replace the "cowling" around the window. This is a common problem with this car and the dealer "should" know how to fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I have the same issue with Wind noise. I took it to the dealer ship but they claim not to hear it. I drove the vehicle with service manager and my luck, did not hear anything. I do not hear the noise when I do not cycle the air in the cab. Not sure...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got the windshield resealed and NOW I HAVE WATER LEAKING IN THE PASSAGER SIDE FLOOR!!!What is coming in from behind the dash. South Dade Jeep in Miami says this is a common problem with the Jeep and it is because of the A/C when it is not in the recycle mode. Bunch of CRAP!! Now the car is in Tiamiami Jeep..let's see what happens. I have already reported it to Chrysler customer service.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, I noticed the manual advises leaving in the recyle mode. I know the owner of that dealership (marty) he is the advisor to our local jeep club and a very straight shooter and jeep lover. I dont think he would knowingly give you bad advice. john

·
Registered
59 Posts
my 2007 commander has been in two different dealers for wind and water leak. first took it in for wind noise. got the car back and an overnight rain had my passanger side floor wet. the water was running underneith the dash onto the floor. took it back to them for the service manager to say it is coming from the ac and there is nothing they can do. call jeep and they told me to take it to another dealer. got it back and they say did could not duplicate. driving it back home and the wind noise is still there and now i have a water leak. i got a hose and video camera and video taped the water coming from the dash. tomorrow iam taking the car back to the original dealer to see what they say. if they cannot fix the problem i am submitting for the florida lemon law. this is bs on a car that is four months old with 5k.

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts
Elihercu51125, you only need to post this once--not on every thread.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ditto on above, on the other thread you posted this I noticed someone told you what they did to fix their leak. If you are positive its NOT the a/c (we've had a lot of rain and humidity lately, I know when the line was plugged up on my TJ it was surprising just how much water the a/c takes out of the air and leaked in my passenger compartment. Cleaned the drain tubes and that solved that. If you park under a tree or something very possibly the tubes are plugged. But, anyhow, getting back to above, why dont you print out each of the solutions others have found, take them with you to the dealership, along with your video tape, ask to talk to Marty, tell him a member of the South Fla Jeep Club said he would take care of you and see what happens. I can understand your disappointment, but if your attitude is as nasty at the dealership as it appears in your posts it might be no one wants to work with you. Try a smoother approach if that is the case. You certainly seem to have the problem documented. john

201 - 220 of 252 Posts