Jeep Commander Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I luv my Commander - want to fix wind noise - dealer NSG

NSG= Not so Great :mad:
Last July bought new '07 Commander (black, 4.7, trial rated 4x4) at Jeep dealer in Westlake Vlg, CA. the incentives were very good and I saved a lot of $$ on purchase. I must say that I do love my Commander. The dealer? not so much.
I only had 3k on it because I had been traveling most of the last 6 months, anyway .. time to bring it in for first maintenance service and two factory brake related recalls, I too, have the dreaded wind noise and told the service dept. about it. they said they've never heard of this problem before I brought it up. Hmm. Really?
They did acknowledge hearing the noise though and asked to keep the jeep for an extra day. that extra day turned into eight more days because they could not fix it. they tried taping, resealing, removing the passenger mirror, radio antennae, roof rail, vents open, closed, ac on, off, all to no avail. Now I still have the wind noise and it's even louder and occurs at slower speeds of 35 mph. I found it hard to believe that a large dealership like this one has had no previous reports of this infamous wind noise.
As far as grading the dealership, I have to give them a D-. When I finally got the Commander back, they did fix the recall issues (I think) and replaced faulty front speakers but..
They also used 3/4 of a tank of gas and drove it 50 miles. I brought the Jeep in cleaned and waxed and they returned it filthy with scratches on the roof near the windshield, tape glue residue on the paint, the antennae still removed and thrown in the cargo area, alarm system deactivated and who really knows how well the brake recall was serviced? When I called to complain I was just told to 'bring it in' so they could look at it. No apology was given or offer to make things right. I stated my dismay and asked what they could do to fix these things the service rep just said ."well, I'm talking to you, aren't I, guy? Gee, thanks dude! .. oh yeah, there's more. when I asked to be picked up by their service shuttle I was told I am 'out of their shuttle service area' after already being assured I am eligible by the salesman last summer. another kicker; I purchased an expensive 'ultimate care' package that provided a free rental car. they never offered a car to me so my wife and I shared a car for over a week. yeah, I should have read the service contract and known the benefits that I purchased but I was miffed that they didn't even offer a rental - especially after they had to keep the Jeep for what amounted to 9 days! can you tell I was displeased? Shaver Jeep is the dealer. I have to bring it back in to get the alarm working again and will stand there while they work on it. after that I'm finding another dealer for service. Any suggestions close to the west Valley in Los Angeles?

·
Registered
31 Posts
wind shield noise

does anyone have or had a windshield noise on the passanger side of their commander?? if you had it fixed where was it?? thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
newbox said:
does anyone have or had a windshield noise on the passanger side of their commander?? if you had it fixed where was it?? thanks

Almost eveyone has had wind noise on the windshield, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cowl and seals, that took care of it, but because of the angle on it it is very commun to get some wind noise, specially at when going fast...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you talking about whistling around 50-60 MPH? If so, there is a TSB out on it. TSB # is RR-06-027
This and another type of whistle problem with the sunroof can be found in the list of TSB's here:
www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm

The winshield one is easy to fix with black silicone, resealing the loose stripping at the top of the winshield.
Good luck,
Hemi

·
Registered
686 Posts
There's another TSB - 24-003-06- for a whistling noise that sounds like it's from the window but is actually from the fan door down under the glove box.

I thought I had the window noise and had the dealer reseal the window twice. In the end I found this other TSB and performed the fix myself. And it worked.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Does the noise goes when you put the A/C in fresh air mode?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wind Whistle with Dash Rattle

I have just purchased a 2006 Commander with sunroof for my wife. She says the whistle and rattle happen at highway speed with a cross wind. I thought Right? It did it while I was driving also. The high pitched rattling noise comes from the center of the dash. Adjusting and turning off the A/C has no effect. The whistle which is not as loud seems to be coming from the left corner of the dash/windshield area. Does this match any noises addressed by any of the members or TSB? Thanks for the help. The dealer seems clueless. They did replace the cowl cover clips.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Welcome JeepGreen!

·
Registered
64 Posts
What was the solution?

Hey...did you ever resolve the buzzing sound? I'm getting it for the first time right now...

Mine's an 06 too.

Thanks.

AR

·
Registered
26 Posts
listen, dont go crazy. i had the same whistle... highway speeds, warm/hot weather. the fix is easy. first get some Permatex flowable silicone windshield &glass sealer. it comes in a 1.5oz tube which is more than enough. the problem area is the top black plastic windshield trim where it meets the roof not the glass. with a plastic trim tool, popsicle stick or some similar item, lift the trim where it meets the roof and apply the sealer under this lip all the way across from end to end. wipe excess with a rag and no more whistle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm really glad i randomly saw this post. My windshield has been howling since i got my truck, and i hate my dealership so i haven't taken it in assuming they would charge 300% on whatever the problem is...now i can just go buy a $10 tube of sealant. :)

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts
I have whistle that appears to come from the top of the front passenger door. It happens at Highway speeds especially with a cross wind. This is on my 2008 Commander Sport. Anybody have this issue? Know any fixes?
First time this issue has been mentioned. Have you checked the weather stripping ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have whistle that appears to come from the top of the front passenger door. It happens at Highway speeds especially with a cross wind. This is on my 2008 Commander Sport. Anybody have this issue? Know any fixes?
Check and make sure the weather stripping isnt pulled down off its rail, this could be your issue, happens to my rear passenger doors all the time as people use it to stablize themselves when the get in.

·
Registered
707 Posts
This installers said they found silicone on the upper portion when the replaced my old windshield. They were saying that silicone is bad to use because it holds moisture.

I guess when the dealer fixed the problem (when I bought the vehicle) they used silicone.

Maybe I should tell the glass company to use silicone on the top trim.

p.s. The glass company also found some sealant above the passenger door trim.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Squealing/high-pitched humming out of nowhere

inside the cab. Not constant----and gets a little worse when I hit the gas. Just had the A/C worked on, the had to mess with some motor that controls the vents (from floor to face, etc.) Could THAT be it? Also, it does it when the A/C is OFF aslo. Again, not constant---just comes out of nowhere every now and then. No codes----I checked with the turning the key 3 times thing, and went to Auto Zone and had them do it as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: Just talked to the Svc. advisor and he said they didn't mess with any kind of motor, but only changed out some flap or something, but had to remove the entire dash to do it. He said they could have pinched a wire or something MAYBE. Well, now that my warranty is out, I'm sure they will "find" the cause and I'm sure it won't be dash-removal/wire-pinched related.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm pretty sure I figured it out. I was driving in a strong headwind today when the noise began again. I stepped on the gas and it got worse, backed off 20 mph or so and it stopped. Sped back up to about the speed it began and there it was again, until I changed directions. It's the damned windshield. Almost sounds like a harmonica. My warranty ran out on 6/13/09. I have and extended warranty from Carmax with a fifty dollar deductable-----75 if I go elsewhere (dealership). But get this--- the dealer told me yesterday, that they charge a "diagnosis fee" of 75-150 dollars, PLUS I have to pay my deductable. WTF is a diagnosis fee?????

221 - 240 of 252 Posts