Registered
602 Posts

·
Administrator
15,932 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
So since I do not have a sunroof or roofrails, should I just go straight to a auto glass shop and have them remove then reseal it? Also, I do have an aftermarket warranty from Carmax with a 50 buck deductable. Should I bring it to them and let them sub it out? I don't want to "fool" with them having to test drive my vehicle and "not duplicating" it. I KNOW what it is due to this thread etc. Is there a way I can circumvent this? It is 2009 and Carmax sells a buttload of Commanders---surely they have heard this problem and its remedy already.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You could get a tube of sealer and try it yourself if you want to save money, it looks like from the parts needed list that you do not need anything special. Just get a silicone sealant that will work on glass.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I will give it a shot. Worse case I will end up at Safelite for 280 bucks for a whole new glass lol. That seems to be fiixing the prob too.
Should we merge this thread with "the" windshield thread?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was definitely a TSB on this back in '06 when I bought mine (see posting by Jeep5253 above). I had a high pitched wind whistle noise at highway speeds. My dealer said the TSB recommends resealing the winshield, but that hadn't worked on some other ones they tried, so they replaced my entire windshield - no problems since 3 years later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an '07 with the whistle coming from the passenger side.Today I put tape along the top of the windshield,up the side of the windshield and along the passenger door.I figured this would block air from coming in and help me pinpoint what needs fixed.The whistle was still there.I messed with the A/C,took off the antennae and folded the mirror in.The whistle was still there.The windshield was supposedly resealed 2 weeks ago so I don't know where to look anymore.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an '07 with the whistle coming from the passenger side.Today I put tape along the top of the windshield,up the side of the windshield and along the passenger door.I figured this would block air from coming in and help me pinpoint what needs fixed.The whistle was still there.I messed with the A/C,took off the antennae and folded the mirror in.The whistle was still there.The windshield was supposedly resealed 2 weeks ago so I don't know where to look anymore.
I figured out this winter that when the blower is off I have the whistle,when I turn the blower on the whistle stops.I'll take it in and see if this helps the mechanic figure it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same issue on mine when I bought it about 10 days ago. The dealer put it in the We-Owe that they would fix the issue. Ended up replacing the entire windshield.

·
Registered
2008 Commander Overland 75000 miles
1 Posts
On our 2008 Commander Overland, at highway speed we get a high pitched whistle which seems to be coming from the windshield cowl area. The rubber ends have deteriorated and I suspect it may be allowing t the plastic cowl cover to vibrate. Has anyone else encountered this and if so how did you fix it?

241 - 252 of 252 Posts