Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 60 of 252 Posts
Re: Weird Noise

Same hear. 9k and all of a sudden the noise arrived at about 60mph on my way out for the holiday. Very annoying. I'll take in to the dealer this week. It comes and goes. It came about right after parking in a field. Then heading out to the highway. Something must have got jolted loose. If so then this is very poor craftsmanship for a "trail rated" 4x4. I too will be interested to hear other stories and remedies.

I posted info earlier today on a "whistle sound" coming from the dash area, related to the sunrrof (http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481).

There is another bulletin pertaining to a different whistle sound, this one from the A/C unit. Here is the info and a link to the bulletin:

TSB#: 24-003-06

Date: May 13, 2006

Models: 2006 Commander

Subject: HVAC Whistle Sound

Symptom: The vehicle operator may notice a whistle sound from the glove box area when HVAC system is on and in the recirculation mode while traveling at speeds above 105 kph (65 mph).

XK TSB 24-003-06

Re: Wind noise

I am fully sympathetic with all the "noise" people but I could swear that this is the quietest thing on the road there is. No hint of any noise at any speed. Don't take any crap from dealers and let them fix it. The "no recall" explanation is a standard excuse so don't get suckered into it.

Hard to summarize that bulletin, it lists at least 10 different causes of wind noise and water leaks on the XK. The couple Ive fixed had the whistle, which would change with the blower motor on and that was a body seam where the A pillar and cowl connect. IIRC that was the fix for a whistle near the lower corners of the windshield. They also just issued a new bulletin for a noise near the top of the windshield only on XKs with a sunroof. This one involves replacing and modifying the front sunroof drain covers. According to Jeep wind is blowing up the drain tubes on that one.

My Commander has developed a wind noise at 60+ MPH. Is is an ear pricing sound the really bothers the wife, guess it's a male thing. I am thinking it is from the roof rack, so I took off the cross members. Noise still there. It does not happen all the time, maybe wind direction has some bearing? I am taking it in to the dealer in two days to see what they say. Can't say I am convinced they will find the problem.

djc- I have noticed this same noise, just as you described. Around 45mph in the passanger side of the car. I have only noticed this on one occasion since I have purchased the vehicle. It is very annoying. If I have any more problems with it I will contact the dealer and post their response. Good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

djc- I have noticed this same noise, just as you described. Around 45mph in the passanger side of the car. I have only noticed this on one occasion since I have purchased the vehicle. It is very annoying. If I have any more problems with it I will contact the dealer and post their response. Good luck

Got mine a week or so ago, I have the noise. Dealer said they know about it and its somewhat common - they have to reinstall the winshield. I also found a page on here that talks about TSBs - it lists the whistle problem

HERES WHAT IT SAYS.....to save you some time.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT ORDER PARTS OR
PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL JUNE 12, 2006.
SUBJECT:
Whistle-Like Sound Due To Cabin Air Passing Through The Sunroof Front Drain Tube
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves modifying plastic caps and installing the caps over each sunroof front
drain tube molded end grommet.
MODELS:
2006 (XK/XH) Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Power Sunroof (sales code
GWF) built on or between October 14, 2005 (MDH 1014XX) and April 21, 2006
(MDH 0421XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a whistle-like sound in the area of the top of the windshield.
This whistle-like sound may start to occur when driving the vehicle at speeds of around 72
kph (45 mph), and with the HVAC system in the fresh air mode. This condition will NOT
occur if the HVAC system is in recirculation mode.
This condition may be caused by cabin compartment air being exhausted through the
sunroof front drain tubes.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 68017811AA Cap, End
NUMBER: 23-022-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: May 26, 2006
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Fig. 1 END CAP WITH 8 MM REMOVED
1 - Plastic End Cap
2 - Remove 8 mm (5/16 inch) Of Material From The Tip Of The End Cap
1. Trim 8 mm (5/16 in.) of material from the tip of the new cap. This will create a drain
hole in the cap (Fig. 1).
2. Remove the front door sill scuff plate.
3. Remove the lower A-Pillar cowl (kick) panel. Refer to the detailed service information
available in TechCONNECT, under: Service Info > 23 - Body > Interior > Cowl Trim >
Removal and Installation.
4. Remove the molded end grommet of the sunroof front drain tube from the vehicle
body.
5. Slide the new modified cap over the molded end grommet of the drain tube (Fig. 2).
23-022-06 -2-
Fig. 2 DRAIN TUBE GROMMET WITH CAP
1 - Sunroof Front Drain Tube Hose
2 - Front Drain Tube Hose Molded End Grommet
3 - New End Cap Installed Over Molded End Grommet
6. Install the molded end grommet of the drain tube to the vehicle body.
NOTE: Verify that the drain tube end grommet is FULLY seated to the body.
7. Install the lower A-Pillar cowl (kick) panel trim.
8. Install the front door sill scuff plate.
9. Perform the above repair procedure to the other sunroof front drain tube.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-30-63-90 Install Modified Caps - On Both
Front Sunroof Drain Tubes (D)
0.2 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
-3- 23-022-06

ok 1 week after drawing hood down the noise is slightly back. I removed the rear weather strip in rear of hood.noise tone changed but didn't go away. I put the seal back and figured hell I would try removing the forward seal. Went for a 10 mi drive. nothing at all. ok the seal is there to prevent air from flowing upwards for cooling reasons. this causes the air to channel(whistle). I went for a 300mi drive this weekend a/c on hot weather and removing the seal didn't affect cooling. This wont help a sunroof related but that low windshield whistle will be gone. second do it myself was the a/c on high vibration. easy fix. I read it here and as repaired within 1 hr time from start to finish. only thing left is the clear oil in the rear of my vehicle. off to the dealer I guess. Anyone else have this? clear oil? :confused: only a/c has a clear oil that I know of. silicone aswell but where is it coming from?

Went to the dealer on Friday and they said they found a misalighned roof rack rail, went for a ride on Sunday noise started as soon as we hit 60. Got a feeling this is not going to be an easy fix. Tried a/c on recirculate no change. Planning on going to a dealer near an interstate so they can test drive at 60+

Vinnie,
I bought the Commander in January and have not heard any wind noise.

But I just discovered another website today in addition to this one. It is www.xkjeeps.com and contains information on technical service bulletins issued by Chrysler. On the left menu tab, scroll down until you see the yellow bullet "new" next to Tech. serv. bulletins. There are several listed wind noise issues and Chrysler has issued not recalls but service bulletins. You will only get notice of these if there is an actual recall. If your dealer doesnt have record of these bulletins I would be suprised. At any rate you can print it out and take it to them, then find another dealer.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Princess

Hello,
I have had my Commander since Dec and it has just started making this wind noise that everyone is talking about. I had it in the dealership and they adjusted the roof racks and sent me on my way. This is not the problem, I took my car to a different dealership who researched this noise on a technical support board of the Chrysler Corp. The noise is coming from your sunroof, ask your dealership to install caps on the end of the drain hose on the sunroof. This should correct the problem, if you can't get to the dealership quick enough try using your windshield wiper fluid when the noise starts, this is only a quick fix but it will help from blowing out your eardrums while on the interstate. :)

I've had my Commander since Thanksgiving and now have 18,000 miles. A month ago my noise started. It comes on after 65 miles an hour. It doesn't always make the noise, but once it starts it is continuous above 65.

Took it in to the dealer without any results. Salesman has a Commander with 1800 miles and same problem. He switches to recirculate and it stops. Mine will not stop wether on recirculate or fresh air. I've read the sunroof service bulletin and I guess mine is something different since the noise will not stop switching between fresh air and recirculate.

I will take it back to the dealer (Benchmark, Birmingham) until it's fixed. I can't stand the noise.

I test drove one (for 12 hours) and heard the sound (it is a very faint chime similar to the seatbelt chime but much softer) 3 different times - once going 50 mph, and twice when I had just started the car and was getting ready to back out...very strange...it went away soon all three times??

Thanks.

I am concerned to buy the '07 because of the problems I have read on here about the engine stalling and the poor service - do you get loaner cars with any service work?? I am coming from a Cadillac SRX and the service has been A+++

Scared!

Thanks.

Whistle-Whine at 60 mph?

I test drove a 4.7 model yesterday. At 60 mph, a whining noise seeming to come from the windshield area occured. The dealer couldn't figure it out. It was very loud.

There is a TSB about whining noises, but jeep claims this is due to the drain from the sunroof.

But the Commander I drove did not have a sunroof. Anyone else noticing this noise? Any idea what is causing it?

Check this out: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272048

It occurs only when it's hot out and its sat in the sun. I purchased mine in November and had no problems until Memorial Day weekend when the temperature soared past 85. It sat in the sun for about an hour, windows rolled up. I had just driven it about 60 miles on the highway above 60mph with no noise. This scenario has played out a couple of times since. I believe it's a pressure equalization problem. I'm waiting for the hot, hazy days of summer to hit before I bring it to the dealer.

41 - 60 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.