Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what % of tint are you guys doing (or would do) on the drivers and passenger side front windows? im looking for blacked out but shaded please post pix if you have done this and state what % your tint is

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Might want to check your local laws to see what is permissable.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Varies by state here so your country most likely has similar laws. 35% is max in AZ, no tint in CA.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
our cops are more of what you would call "Life Guards" they wait till some one gets seriously injured before they lift a finger.....we have lots of good cops to...but ya they are pretty relaxed here

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put 15% and it looks real nice (especially on a black commander). Make sure to get it done at a reputable shop (I think the brand of tint they used was something called llumar), or else problems will arise down the road.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Varies by state here so your country most likely has similar laws. 35% is max in AZ, no tint in CA.
So if someone from AZ drives into CA, does that mean they can receive a ticket for having tint?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
So if someone from AZ drives into CA, does that mean they can receive a ticket for having tint?
When I was in the Air Force I drove my Oregon registered car with tint around Grand Forks, ND (Oregon plates) and the police stoped me and cited me for it, so I guess California could site if they wanted to.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ya, for some reason here in ND they are strict about the tinting laws, yet I can drive 90 on interstate and they just let me fly on by.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got 50% Llumar High Performance. I was more interested in the 99% UV protection and the heat blocking. It gives me a reasonable amount of tint and definitely looks better than without. I can testify that it significantly reduces the heat and glare of the sun.

·
Registered
452 Posts
35% is the minimum here in Texas. I've seen folks with darker and 'mirror' like ones (used mainly for commercial buildings)... they're just asking for trouble (then again, probably causing some as well). My XK is 'as is' since I got it...clear in the front, factory tint on the rest.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Tinting Rear Factory Tinted Windows

I'd like to have my pre-tinted windows darker or blacked out. Has anyone had theirs "over tinted"?

I think Blackonblack's XK looks like this was done or there is some heavy limo tint on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You are correct sir. I layed SolarGard 20% over the factory tint in the rear (factory is about 20% also). The end result is pretty comparable to 5% limo tint.

Do yourself a favor and get a pre-cut window tint kit off someone from e-bay, just make sure they have a quality tint that won't crack or turn purple. You should end up paying about $50 for all of the windows pre-cut. Invest another $20 or so in some install tools, and you're good to go. Most of the pre-cut tint vendors I've seen have a link for DIY's to learn how to tint. The most important thing is to clean EVERYTHING! When you go to a shop, the film itself isn't the expensive part, it's the labor to install and skill it takes to cut/ shrink properly. The Commander's a piece of cake to tint though- no shrinking needed.

Eventually I'll do the fronts with 35%, but I haven't had the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wife had 5% on done everything. Needless to say its DARK in the back. If you don't have a back up camera I wouldn't overlay it! You can't see anything! It looks good and keeps everthing cool inside.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
You are correct sir. I layed SolarGard 20% over the factory tint in the rear (factory is about 20% also). The end result is pretty comparable to 5% limo tint.
Thanks for the reply- especially the eBay info. I'm definitely going to do it to mine.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
My wife had 5% on done everything. You can't see anything! It looks good and keeps everthing cool inside.
Is she happy with it? I have the 5% on my Cherokee Sport- you know it- it's pretty dark back in the cargo area but I like the 5%- don't know if I will go that dark doing an overlay though.

Do you have any pics of yours with the tint on?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts