Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dug up all the post I can and can't find any leads on a fix. My 2008 started with a odd smell and the passenger rear window rolled down, it has a blown fuse (I think #12) and every time I replace it, it just blows again. I have searched every visible wire for a break and haven't found one. I've unplugged each connector to try and isolate the problem but no luck. While trying to solve the problem I've had fuses blow for the Left park lamps, rear HVAC, and electric seats. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just figured I would post a update. My muffler had a hole in the top of it, which heated up my floor boards. The wiring harness under the carpet in the passenger rear floor board had melted and almost burnt the carpet. 177 solder points and new exhaudt later and we are back to working normal again.

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
Just figured I would post a update. My muffler had a hole in the top of it, which heated up my floor boards. The wiring harness under the carpet in the passenger rear floor board had melted and almost burnt the carpet. 177 solder points and new exhaudt later and we are back to working normal again.
Thanks for the update, @Zachs2008. Good thing you found where the problem was because that could have turned out very bad.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Wow, that's one I definitely haven't heard of before; Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interestingly, my muffler had blown through the top also, never got too loud either.
I would not have guessed interior wiring was that vulnerable to an exhaust leak.
20200321_153141.jpg
@Zachs2008 assuming yours went at the same spot, (heat shield strap)

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
Interestingly, my muffler had blown through the top also, never got too loud either.
I would not have guessed interior wiring was that vulnerable to an exhaust leak.
WOW!

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looked fine from the bottom, but i could hear something getting loose internally. That made enough of a case for an upgrade, then this was my surprise once i cut it free. Mustve been leaking for a while to cause all that carbon buildup.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Looked fine from the bottom, but i could hear something getting loose internally. That made enough of a case for an upgrade, then this was my surprise once i cut it free. Mustve been leaking for a while to cause all that carbon buildup.
Yep no doubt; it makes total sense that you couldn't have seen it, since it was on the top of the muffler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts