Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bought my stock 2006 Commander limited 4.7, with 70,000 in August. Only upgrades I've done so far are 2.5" lift, Jeep Rubicon rims (wheel spacers to fit), double din head unit, and 10% tint. Plan to be adding steel bumpers, running boards, roof basket, light bars. Joined forum for upgrade ideas and it has given me a lot of ideas so far.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Bought my stock 2006 Commander limited 4.7, with 70,000 in August. Only upgrades I've done so far are 2.5" lift, Jeep Rubicon rims (wheel spacers to fit), double din head unit, and 10% tint. Plan to be adding steel bumpers, running boards, roof basket, light bars. Joined forum for upgrade ideas and it has given me a lot of ideas so far.

@daynetucker;

Welcome to the forum; That's a good looking XK; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the link, unfortunately it says they're not available and I tried looking on that manufacturers site with no luck there as well. I found the picture I posted on WAM bumpers site and contacted them to see if they make them. They said they don't and that someone on one of the Commander forums custom makes them.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thank you for the link, unfortunately it says they're not available and I tried looking on that manufacturers site with no luck there as well. I found the picture I posted on WAM bumpers site and contacted them to see if they make them. They said they don't and that someone on one of the Commander forums custom makes them.
Nobody on this forum makes them as far as I know.

There is also an option in the link I sent you for them to notify you when they are back in stock again, you might ask them to notify you in case you can't find anything else comparable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer...
I called DB link directly and they said that they've never had an option for the commander. I appreciate the lead though.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Bummer...
I called DB link directly and they said that they've never had an option for the commander. I appreciate the lead though.
I would check all the other links I gave you and if you can't find anything there, my only other suggestion would be checking on e-bay.....or having them custom made.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
well now we know a real option
There are a few "real options" out there; but that wasn't what the OP asked for;

He asked about the specific A-Pillar light bar mounts that had the "COMMANDER" logo cut into them in the photo he posted - and you won't find them unless you can get someone to custom make them for you - which is what I alluded to in my initial response;

My follow-up post was just the closest thing I found to what he was looking for - it's not my fault that they were not available at this moment.

But yes, there are a few different types of curved light bar windshield/A-Pillar mounting brackets on the market for the XK, Steel Armadillo is just one of them CarID also has them and I'm certain you can find them on Amazon, justforjeeps.com & E-bay motors as well - but none of them are anything like what @daynetucker said he was looking for in the picture he posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I searched every online site as thoroughly as possible before posting here, I even called all our distributors we go through at my job, with no avail. I wasn't necessarily wanting the "Commander" cut out, I just prefer to one piece A-pillar bracket. WAM bumper said that someone on a Commander forum (she said "commander nation") custom makes them, but this is the only Commander forum I could find. I knew the steel armadillo ones were an option (and other universal ones). I was trying to avoid having to use the style that you have to use self tapping screws or drill holes. I have worked installing aftermarket accessories for 9 years and have seen the self tapping screws fail quite a few times. As far as the DB link ones on car id, it's not that they weren't available at the moment. When I called them they said they don't make them for the commander and never have, that it was a mistake on car id's end.
I do appreciate the suggestions. I'm thinking I might just use the steel armadillo hood mounts and just mount a light bar to my roof basket.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I searched every online site as thoroughly as possible before posting here, I even called all our distributors we go through at my job, with no avail. I wasn't necessarily wanting the "Commander" cut out, I just prefer to one piece A-pillar bracket. WAM bumper said that someone on a Commander forum (she said "commander nation") custom makes them, but this is the only Commander forum I could find. I knew the steel armadillo ones were an option (and other universal ones). I was trying to avoid having to use the style that you have to use self tapping screws or drill holes. I have worked installing aftermarket accessories for 9 years and have seen the self tapping screws fail quite a few times. As far as the DB link ones on car id, it's not that they weren't available at the moment. When I called them they said they don't make them for the commander and never have, that it was a mistake on car id's end.
I do appreciate the suggestions. I'm thinking I might just use the steel armadillo hood mounts and just mount a light bar to my roof basket.
Mounting it to the roof basket is definitely a viable option. There are a lot of different ways you can mount a curved LED light bar - I was never a fan of mounting them across the top of the windshield - which is actually how they were designed to be mounted, I just never cared for the look of it.

The way I mounted my 50 inch curved LED light bar is probably one of the most unusual ways you'll see, but, I know I'll never have to worry about that light bar moving ever again and I didn't have to drill any holes through my XK's sheet metal to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's brilliant, I never thought to mount it to the rails like that. I'm always cautious about drilling through any sheet metal due to leaks ect... But I wouldn't have any issues mounting on plastic like that. I have a go rhino srm 200 roof basket that has different plates to mount lights, so that gives me more options.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That's brilliant, I never thought to mount it to the rails like that. I'm always cautious about drilling through any sheet metal due to leaks ect... But I wouldn't have any issues mounting on plastic like that. I have a go rhino srm 200 roof basket that has different plates to mount lights, so that gives me more options.
It was a little bit of extra work and there was some trial and error involved - but in the end, it was well worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There are a few "real options" out there; but that wasn't what the OP asked for;

He asked about the specific A-Pillar light bar mounts that had the "COMMANDER" logo cut into them in the photo he posted - and you won't find them unless you can get someone to custom make them for you - which is what I alluded to in my initial response;

My follow-up post was just the closest thing I found to what he was looking for - it's not my fault that they were not available at this moment.

But yes, there are a few different types of curved light bar windshield/A-Pillar mounting brackets on the market for the XK, Steel Armadillo is just one of them CarID also has them and I'm certain you can find them on Amazon, justforjeeps.com & E-bay motors as well - but none of them are anything like what @daynetucker said he was looking for in the picture he posted.

seems like many others are generic fit, but sounds like the op has his solution now

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mounting it to the roof basket is definitely a viable option. There are a lot of different ways you can mount a curved LED light bar - I was never a fan of mounting them across the top of the windshield - which is actually how they were designed to be mounted, I just never cared for the look of it.

The way I mounted my 50 inch curved LED light bar is probably one of the most unusual ways you'll see, but, I know I'll never have to worry about that light bar moving ever again and I didn't have to drill any holes through my XK's sheet metal to do it.

is that a 2x4 block of wood in the middle acting as a support?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
is that a 2x4 block of wood in the middle acting as a support?
Correct. That it is piece of pressure treated 2x4 painted black with rubber mounted to the bottom of it, permanently bonded to the bottom of the light bar for additional support.

Due to the sub-standard mounting brackets that this particular light bar came with, that's one a few modifications I had to make, to mount that light bar where I wanted it. That modification along with a couple of others, keeps me from ever having to worry about it moving out of position.

The light bar itself, was very well made but the mounting brackets and mounting hardware that came with it were garbage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts