Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I need to replace the windshield and i am getting two different options-w/ or w/o the tinted visor at the top. It seems stock they come w/o like mine did.

Any of you have the tinted visor at the top? Can you post pictures?
What are the advantages/disadvantages to either?

Price here in Oregon is 245 w/visor or 285 w/o visor, both w rain sensor.

Thanks !

Pablo :eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
If you have the auto-dimming headlights you should get the tint. Notice in my pic the tint comes down lower right in the middle of the windshield. I believe this is to keep light from above away from the sensor for the auto-dimming headlights which is located on the back of the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeep5253-Thank you for your response :).
Your windshield looks just like mine (No tinted visor) and I do have auto-headlights.

The glass technician said the tinted visor covers about 1/4 of the total top of the windshield (to the very small hash marks on either side edge). He said both windshields are available w/ the auto headlights, just a preference.

Pic's of tinted visor anyone?

Thanks y'all

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Jeep5253-Thank you for your response :).
Your windshield looks just like mine (No tinted visor) and I do have auto-headlights.

The glass technician said the tinted visor covers about 1/4 of the total top of the windshield (to the very small hash marks on either side edge). He said both windshields are available w/ the auto headlights, just a preference.

Pic's of tinted visor anyone?

Thanks y'all
Mine does have tint across the top. That's why I posted the pics for you.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Safe lite just did mine yesterday and asked if I had a rain sensor. Thats it. Came out with a windshield that matched mine perfectly. Looks just like 5253.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeep5253-I see the tint at the very top edge of yours covers approx 2-3" from the top. Mine is exactly like yours buddy.

To clarify about the tinted visor option. The tech explained it covers about 8" from the top of the windshield down to the black hash marks. If you look really close up you can see the black marks on the side edges of the windshield, approx one fourth of the total windshield height from the top.

It seems many of us have factory or direct factory replacements with no tinted visor.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Well, since you have the rain sensor I would not get that much tint because it will cover the sensor and keep it from working. Others here who have had windshields replaced said that there were two options for the windhield - one with the rain sensor and one without the rain sensor. Trying to help you here but you go ahead and do what you want.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would not get the extra tint for that exact point 5253 made. The hashmarks are called the AS1 line. Anything below that is illegal.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I saw this in another forum and found it to be interesting. A question was raised concerning the new type of windshield tints being used. This is not personal knowledge, just something I read elsewhere.

" It's a combo issue - the center part of it is known as the 3rd visor, used between the sun visors, designed when automakers started to cut costs. One cost reduction in a car is eliminating the blue tint band at the top of the windshield. Believe it or not, the blue band increases the cost of making the windshield by approximately 15%. This is because the vinyl interlayer for a windshield is the most expensive material component. Blue band windshield vinyl is even more expensive, it has to be specially stretched for the particular windshield that is being made, so the band is uniform height over the curvature of the windshield. Less expensive windshields without the blue vinyl got a silkscreened 3rd visor made with the black box pattern. Essentially no extra cost, since it's part of the windshield perimeter silk screen application. The pattern was continued around the edges for consistency. Blue band windshields get the same pattern nowdays, so the windshield manufacturer only has to carry one silk screen to produce tint band and non tint band windshields. The tint is also to protect the sealant band that glues the glass in. "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts