Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've suffered with non-operable windshield washers for about a year now. The pump would run but no fluid would come out. During service, the dealer said "a hose was crimped", then, "it needs a new pump". Not wanting to pay them, I lived with it.

I finally went to the auto parts store and got a new pump (~$30). Guess what? Pump wasn't the problem. When I put the pump in a bowl of water, that water came out the sprayers. So the hoses weren't the problem either.

To make it easier to get at the reservoir, I removed some nylon rivets from the fender well:

The pump sits in a plastic grommet at the arrow. Here is the reservoir with the grommet removed:

(Sorry, the pic is sideways here. Keeps flipping itself)

And here was the offender: The plastic grommet is actually a screen and was completely full of gunk. Not sure what it was, maybe a tiny piece of paper towel or something. But a gelatinous goo covered the screen. (Screen after cleaning):

Re-assembled all parts, added more fluid, and presto! I have a working windshield washer again.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A year and a half later and the same problem again. I'm the only person to add washer fluid and I know I didn't drop anything in there. What could be causing the gunk? I use regular washer fluid. I wonder if the cap of the reservoir doesn't tightly close, and lets dust in over time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe check the reservoir tank for cracks and that the top cap is on properly? Also is the reservoir tank clean on the inside of the tank, perhaps there was some leftover gunk in there from whatever cause the gunk before?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, Im wondering how exactly did you take out the rivets?

I think i have the same problem as you, because i live in a place where it never gets snow, 5C is the lowest temp ever in 16 years i have lived here. No leaking washer fluid and I can hear the pump go when i pull the lever.

It worked before it rained just 2 weeks ago soo it probably got clogged with something (Mud maybe?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks soo much. It was a little harder than expected (Stupid Rivets, had to break em. Only 2 tho) I pulled the pump and did a quick test with a glass of washer fluid and the washer was working again soo pump and hoses were okay.

Then I pulled the grommet (Which was hard because of lack of space. Used a fork to lift a side and a spoon to pull it out as it was really tight) And as you said, it was covered in mold and somekind of paper towel, I saw a bug wing too! I cleaned all that and put it back and voila! Working again!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
When I look at the reservoir, I see the pump with the hoses and the there is something else sticking into the reservoir with and electrical connection which looks as if you can turn it to take it out. Is this a low level sensor? Also when removing the pump do you just pull it out or do you need ti twist it out?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what the other thing is. The pump just pops straight out. Like Colerix said, it's more a problem of getting the angle than power. It's not hard to pull out, just awkward.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just pulled it out, thanks for the response. Also got the grommet out but see no strainer. I was able to pull it without disconnecting anything now I will wait until I can find some one to operate the washer while I see if pump works.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just pulled it out, thanks for the response. Also got the grommet out but see no strainer. I was able to pull it without disconnecting anything now I will wait until I can find some one to operate the washer while I see if pump works.
Just as a follow up, I needed to replace my washer pump. $25 on amazon. I also found a strainer inside of the pump which was clean. I was able to pull the fenderwell out enough so I did not need to remove any rivets. I pulled the old pump out through the door behind the headlamp to remove electrical connection. Very easy job Thanks all who contributed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts