Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a problem on my 06 Jeep Commander. When using the automatic wiper sensor, sometimes the wipers get stuck. They will be working fine then all of a sudden they will stop. I have also noticed, when this happens, they don't return to the correct stop position. They sit just a little above where they normally sit. Anytime they sit in that position, I know they will not automatically go again. I have to manually make my windshield wipers go by pushing the wiper handle.

It has been happening more and more lately and it is getting annoying.

Anyone have this problem or know what's going on?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have noticed this has happened to my manual wipers too for the past couple of months. I can even see the wipers shake while the are wiping back and forth.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Been there and done it......the bushes went on the wiper motor on my first Commander at 58k (just checked my old receipts), got the motor replaced under warranty.

From memory it was when the car was started from cold the wipers would stick in almost any position during their first wipe of the screen. After that they were ok, but I got the motor replaced as didn't want a motor failure during the raining season over here in the UK!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm bumping this old topic because I am still having the issue and it's been worse.

Will replacing the wiper motor fix the issue? If so, does anyone know a cheap place to get one and is it easy to replace?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm bumping this old topic because I am still having the issue and it's been worse.

Will replacing the wiper motor fix the issue? If so, does anyone know a cheap place to get one and is it easy to replace?
AdvanceAuto Commander Wiper Motor

First I would check if there is a relay in the system for the wiper motor, if there is, swap out the relay for another circuit with the same relay, to eleminate the relay as the problem. There may NOT be a relay in the circuit.

Never done the job on the Commander, other vehicles, its pretty easy, depending on the access to get your tools in there. Usually its a connector, a couple of bolts, pull it out gently and figure out how to pop it out of the linkage, then reverse with the new one.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Just be careful abou the Advance Auto part, I had problems with my water pump from them. If the OEM motor is available locally or online for within 10% of the aftermarket, I'd go with that instead.

This also happens to me occasionally, glad to know its just the motor if it goes bad again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fix found!

I am having a problem on my 06 Jeep Commander. When using the automatic wiper sensor, sometimes the wipers get stuck. They will be working fine then all of a sudden they will stop. I have also noticed, when this happens, they don't return to the correct stop position. They sit just a little above where they normally sit. Anytime they sit in that position, I know they will not automatically go again. I have to manually make my windshield wipers go by pushing the wiper handle.

It has been happening more and more lately and it is getting annoying.

Anyone have this problem or know what's going on?
The fix has been found! (at least, its working so far)

My 06 commander has also had the exact same symptoms for the last year or so. So, I finally decided to work on it. I purchased a re-manufactured motor and installed. This unfortunately did not correct the issue. The reman motor was audibly louder so I removed it and put the original back in. Luckily I was able to return it. Next I changed out the wiper on/off relay. Although I haven't been out in the rain yet, I have been unable to duplicate the problem using a garden hose. I tested it multiple times and the wipers parked in the proper position each time. So, as far as I can tell, its fixed! Thanks for the tip Mongo. Too bad I didn't read this thread before swapping the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fix has been found! (at least, its working so far)

My 06 commander has also had the exact same symptoms for the last year or so. So, I finally decided to work on it. I purchased a re-manufactured motor and installed. This unfortunately did not correct the issue. The reman motor was audibly louder so I removed it and put the original back in. Luckily I was able to return it. Next I changed out the wiper on/off relay. Although I haven't been out in the rain yet, I have been unable to duplicate the problem using a garden hose. I tested it multiple times and the wipers parked in the proper position each time. So, as far as I can tell, its fixed! Thanks for the tip Mongo. Too bad I didn't read this thread before swapping the motor.
Mine has been working better so I haven't messed with the issue yet. How exactly did you change the relay?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Relay Replacement

It's quick and easy. The relay is located at the right rear corner of the power distribution center (pic attached). Just lift it out and drop a new one in.

Advance Auto has it for $13.99, I used part # R3146.

Amazon also has one for $11.23 if you'd rather have it delivered, part B000C83SRC.

Good luck, hopefully it'll fix yours as well. I did end up driving through some rain a couple of days ago and there were no issues. So, all is well again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice find! I've had this same issue for years!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have the same problem as the OP. I already had a new
wiper motor installed by Jeep. (under warranty) Still have
the same problem. Took it back and they have no idea
what the problem is. Say they are going to contact 5 star.
Replaced the relay tonight after finding this thread. Time will tell...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, 5 months later and the new relay did
the trick! Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've also had this same issue for while with the wipers on our Commander. Replaced the relay 2 weeks ago and fixed the issue 100%.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I've also had this same issue for while with the wipers on our Commander. Replaced the relay 2 weeks ago and fixed the issue 100%.
That's good news!

·
Super Moderator
5,781 Posts
Here is a blown up version of where the relay is located for anybody else that might be interested;

1 - 16 of 16 Posts