Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I have an 06 Commander and need to know opinions on winter/snow driving... do i need to replace the goodyear forteras on the jeep with some snow tires? my wife will be driving it around town and there will not be a ton of snow (Bend, Oregon) and I need to know if it is a better idea to have studded tires or perhaps just some traction tires. I just moved here and this is our first winter in the snow so any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
welcome to the forum. Unless you want to change, I would use the stock all weather tires. They will handle most driving conditions. I am not familiar with that part of the country, but i havent heard of anyone using studs for sometime. Many places dont allow them. Where did you move from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I know I have the 3.7 motor and 4x4 but I do not know what type of 4WD system I have... didn't know there were different ones. I am not a SUV guy normally! we moved from the Central Coast of California. Needless to say there was not any "weather" there. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you are set on upgrading the tires, the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors also handle great in the snow. I have those tires paired with the HEMI and the QDII system. It has handled several inches of fresh powder beautifully.

The two available 4WD systems with your 3.7L are the QuadraTrac I or QuadraTrac II. Do you have a T-lever to the right of the transmission shift lever? If so, then you have QuadraTrac II.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, no t-lever so I guess QT I is what i have... tires have great tread so not thinking of replacing yet... when I do I want to get a lift installed anyways. but that will probably wait till spring

thanks for that link. checking it out now!

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have QT1 with the 3.7 and last year with the stock forteras i tried to get the tires to spin in a foot of snow and couldn't do it. it actually went better than my '96 GMC 4x4.
i say leave the stock ones on and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 2 cents:
I would keep the stock tires and see how she feels with the weather. Make sure she drives slow and easy if she has never experienced snow. She will need to learn the behavior of the vehicle. It is a great vehicle for all types or weather conditions right from the factory. If she feels that it doesn't do well in the snow and feels unsafe then tires will be your best bet. If she gets past this winter and you put a 2" lift on it during the summer, you can put a slightly larger/more agressive tire on it then.
-JJ

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Did a lot of driving in Oregon (grew up there), I would not spend the money on snow tires, the season is not that long and the snow is not that bad (also lived in North Dakota which has two seasons, winter and July 4th). Get a set of really good all season tires and enjoy your Jeep!

·
Registered
588 Posts
For future reference, I wonder if anyone on this thread have yet tried the BFG All Terrain KO tires? I ask because they are a truck tire not a passenger car tire thus stiffer sidewalls and squarer edge (not rounded like passenger tires) and I wonder if they would rub? I use these tires on my wifes GC and as road tires on my TJ. I was once caught in a snowstorm in the mountains in Colorado in my TJ with those tires on. They closed the highway to all but rigs with chains. I just put it in 4wd hi AND drove all the way to Ouray from Durango in heavy snow with no problems at all. (there is a little snowflake on the sidewall which means chains not required). If anyone has successfully used these tires on a Commander that would be my choice for my next set of tires. john

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input guys... I figured taking it slow would be the way to do it since we have never really driven in snow... now, I just need to get some chains for my G35 coupe... haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have not lived/driven in Ore, but i do live at 6800 feet in the rockies & drive up to elevations over 10K feet in elevation in the winter. I think that you will be fine for just road driving. Traction will not be a huge problem ( I have stock forteras), where you will get into trouble is stopping, going around curves especially if its icy then only studded tires/chains are goin to help you.

If you really want a winter road car, get a Subaru, I love my jeeps but when it comes to handling at speed on ice/snow you can not beat it. My wife has an outback sedan & it is damn near impossible to intentionally fish tail or slide this car. The biggest advantage over any SUV/truck is its lower center of gravity, yet it still has nearly the same clearance & it will grab the road like a billygoat on a mountain side. You can go into a curve at speed & just power through it like it was on rails.

You mentioned lifting it which is great for certain things, but you will also raise the center of gravity which will not enhance its handling on snow/ice at speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
id say stick with the stocks, ive got the 3.7/QT1 and live in michigan. i didnt run into a single snag last winter whatsoever and i may have driven through a few 2 foot snow banks on some backroads. youll be more than happy with the stock setup.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Fortera's are great. Went out in a blizzard last year and it was a lot easier going than stopping. They work just fine!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts