Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At risk of sounding like a complete simpleton, I am new to winter driving in my commander. From what I have read here it seems like it should do pretty well. But now that we have some significant snow and ice on the ground I am wondering if I should get chains or should the commander just be able to hold its own.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
At risk of sounding like a complete simpleton, I am new to winter driving in my commander. From what I have read here it seems like it should do pretty well. But now that we have some significant snow and ice on the ground I am wondering if I should get chains or should the commander just be able to hold its own.
Do you have 4wd? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about chains for normal street driving in snow.

If you have 2wd, chains might be your best bet, but you could probably survive with studded snow tires instead. Just my opinion...

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I have 4wd with quadra-drive II and hemi
You have nothing to worry about.... that's the best 4wd system available on the Commander.

Keep in mind that just because you will have great traction to get moving and you'll be unlikely to get stuck, your braking performance in snow or on ice will be on par with everyone else on the roads. In other words, having 4wd doesn't give you an advantage in braking.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Keep in mind that just because you will have great traction to get moving and you'll be unlikely to get stuck, your braking performance in snow or on ice will be on par with everyone else on the roads. In other words, having 4wd doesn't give you an advantage in braking.
...and that's extremely important!

Just like in my sig, "4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop!" Live by that saying, and it will keep you alive.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
...and that's extremely important!

Just like in my sig, "4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop!" Live by that saying, and it will keep you alive.
I agree, that's why I drive slowly in bad weather. I love seeing the big SUVs on 24" low profiles with TX or CA plates go blasting by me, only to see them in the ditch several miles later, makes me laugh a little before I stop & pull them out for $200!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i shut off the ESP and go drifting thought corners at high speed. this thing has excellent control. its much more fun when you turn off all the nanny computer crap.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Where will you be driving? Chains are illegal on public roads in most areas of the US.
"most" is a dangerous word, every state I have been in on the west side of this great country allows chains and many require that you have them to drive on certain roads during snow & ice conditions (Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Arizona).

·
Registered
63 Posts
You're right, I should have been more specific. I meant most cities or populated areas, and I know of few east of the Mississippi that allow chains in the winter due to the effect that they have on road infrastructure in cities that plow. I'm a city slicker though.

In wilderness or sparsely populated areas in the west, or completely snowbound areas anywhere in the country, I'm sure you're fine as long as you don't go into certain cities which prohibit them. Call your city or township hall, or state transportation department if you're unsure on the chains.

It's probably all moot unless you're really in a snowbound area, though. I'm sure the Jeep can handle whatever you throw at it without chains. I haven't tried the Commander in snow yet, but when I lived in Michigan our Cherokee would power through two or three feet of snow without a problem on radial tires.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i shut off the ESP and go drifting thought corners at high speed. this thing has excellent control. its much more fun when you turn off all the nanny computer crap.
haha I was going to post the same thing!

He's right though. If you are going through some deep stuff....slowly of course, I would turn off the ESP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where will you be driving?
It has been snowing since Sunday and ice storm due tonight. The snow has been good to me but I live in a hilly area and don't really want to slide into traffic. Oh yeah my tire size is 265 40s 22 and I am a bit worried too about the chains ruining my 22' rims

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Where will you be driving?
It has been snowing since Sunday and ice storm due tonight. The snow has been good to me but I live in a hilly area and don't really want to slide into traffic. Oh yeah my tire size is 265 40s 22 and I am a bit worried too about the chains ruining my 22' rims

Oh boy... if you have 265/40R22, I'm guessing that they are summer tread tires, right? Even the best 4wd system will be limited if you're running a summer tread, low profile tire. I'd be careful if I were you...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you're truly concerned, invest in a set of winter rims and tires. Don't tear up the 22's in the salt, plus you'll be safer.
X2 on this one!!! Tire chains may not work on your current wheel/tire package.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased the Commander with the custom wheels and tires. I should have known those pretty wheels were going to cost me :).

Sounds like I am going to need to get some winter feet. Until then, staying home sounds good.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I purchased the Commander with the custom wheels and tires. I should have known those pretty wheels were going to cost me :).

Sounds like I am going to need to get some winter feet. Until then, staying home sounds good.

Thanks for your help.
Look at it this way - it will save some mileage on and extend the life of your 22" tires... those things ain't cheap when you need new ones. Add that cost to an insurance deductible if something were to go wrong on the bad roads, and you're quickly going to be better off dropping the money on the wheels and tires. I'd search for some used wheels with some tires that aren't new, but still have decent tread. Should be able to find that pretty economically if you can find it local.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts