Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals, Saturday morning I and my son, a buddy of his and the buddies son are going to head up to the cabin up north near Grayling Michigan. The cabin is on the Ausable River about 5 miles off the paved road. About half of that is considered seasonal roads and not maintained by the county.

Below are a couple of pics from last year's trip.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last year my son and I went up and we got high centered about 1/4 mile from the cabin and snow shoed in.

Since then I put on the lift and new taller Silent Armors. I also bought a used winch and put on new cable and fabbed a mount for the 2 inch trailer hitch receiver.

We can only stay until Sunday night because these guys have to work for a living. Should be fun.

Wish us luck. Will post pics when and if we return.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That looks like a nice area. Have fun and be safe!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice pic/place GP...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good luck and hope to see some nice snow pics of the Commander "at" the cabin instead of just the cabin.

·
Registered
807 Posts
thats beautiful!
i dream of being about to have a "get-away" place like that.
I like the fact that yours is remote and hard to get to....it adds to its appeal...and makes is a little adventure when you head up there.

hope you have fun and post some picks

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm getting excited. But it has been so darn cold the last few days, that we decided to head out Saturday morning early rather than when they get off work Friday night. Last year, my son and I got up there about midnight, pitch black. It's going to be -1 F tonight plus whatever the wind chill does so we best not be walking to the cabin at midnight or trying to recover from snow drifts. Too risky.

I'll spend the night at my son's place in Lansing and pick the other guys up and head out as early as we can in the morning and get there in the daylight.

I've packed the chain saw, winch, snow shoes, shovel, etc. Off we go!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good luck, take lots of pictures and have fun!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got back from the cabin last night (Sunday) about 11pm. The lift and new tires helped a lot, as did the winch (did not have them for last year's winter trip). But we had a lot more snow this year and much colder. The river was frozen over and we had snow to the tops of my knees.

We made it further than last year before we decided to quit and hike in. We made it to our cabin's driveway but still a good hike in the deep snow. We drove through unplowed snow probably about 1000 feet or more. But the walk was probably another 1000 feet to the cabin.

Still I was impressed with the ability of the Commander too power through. And having the winch was great. Here's some pics.

This is about 2 miles from the cabin. Private shared road but recently plowed:

Here we are on our own driveway:

Set up the winch and got snow shoes out:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nice pics. That looks like it would have been a fun ride.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some more pics:

6 degrees F on Saturday about 1pm but it warmed up Sunday to about 20:

Looking upriver...iced up. Compare to similar pic last winter in above posts:

Here the cabin looks much the same but I'm standing in snow up past my knee caps:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's one more inside after I got a fire started:

Hope you enjoy the pictures. We had a great time!

P.S. The reason you don't see all the guys, is while I took these, they were still up at the Jeep trying to get it further in. They told me to go on ahead and get a fire started. They have more pics in their cameras. When I get their copies, if there's something I think you'll like I'll post later.

·
Registered
807 Posts
U need to have some fab a mount for a snow blower and put it on the front of ur jeep.looks like fun!
Did u ever get the jeep all the way up to the cabin?
What do u guys do while u are up there....just hang out......hike...hunt....fish....etc?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice getaway, wish I had one to escape the summer heat.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Where's the winching pics????

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
U need to have some fab a mount for a snow blower and put it on the front of ur jeep.looks like fun!
Did u ever get the jeep all the way up to the cabin?
What do u guys do while u are up there....just hang out......hike...hunt....fish....etc?
Well, we did not make it all the way. I was hoping to. It is a challenge that I want to overcome but there are practicle limits. I keep thinking about what I could do to be able to park right out front and take a picture of Commander with the cabin in the background.

Yah, a power take off unit and a snow blower mounted to the front would do the job.:rofl: So would a track unit I saw in some other post (about $60,000 accessory I think). Maybe someday when my wife and I move to a condo, I'll take my Kubota tractor up there and get a snowblower for it and leave it up there.

We were only there Saturday and Sunday and we walked through a lot deep snow just to get in and out, so we didn't venture far from the cabin this time. We taught the young guys Euchre. They played Wii and just hung out.

Throughout the year, appropriate to the season, we hike, fish, swim, kayak, canoe, tube the river, deer hunt, play cards, croquet, or badminton. But mostly relax and bond with each other and nature.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I didn't do anything to deserve this place. It belong's to my wife's mother. It was a bonus when I met and married my second wife 2 years ago. Her parents bought it in 1974. Someday it will belong 50/50 to my wife and her sister. Cheers!:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where's the winching pics????
I know, I shoulda got more pics of that. I kinda wimped out. I was the old guy in the bunch(58). My son and his friend Paul are 30 somethings. They told me to go ahead and start a fire and get the cabin warmed up. They didn't want me having a heart attack. They and Paul's teenage kids stayed at the Jeep and worked the winch. I think they got pics of it. I'll posts when I get their pics.

By the way, we were loaded down heavy. 5 of us plus gear. We probably had over 1200 pounds of people in Jeep. One of Paul's son's is close to 300 pounds (football player).

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Maybe we should plan a Commander winter outing to your cabin and just frog-hop everyone's Jeeps up to your doorstep!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe we should plan a Commander winter outing to your cabin and just frog-hop everyone's Jeeps up to your doorstep!
That sounds like fun. My son said I should get a second winch and have one on the front and back both. It was a bit risky taking only one vehicle. Next time my son is going to take his Trail Blazer and leave it on the plowed road. That way, we could always walk to his if we had to and get out of the woods.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts