Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd ask both questions in one thread..

Wipers are 2 years old now and shot. Kinda disappointed since the Mopar wipers I had on my Durango lasted the whole 3 yr lease and were great. Any wipers that you recommend??

And the bugshield.. does it work?? The other nite it sounded like the jeep was being pelted with rain. It was so gross LOL :eek2:

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts
And the bugshield.. does it work?? The other nite it sounded like the jeep was being pelted with rain. It was so gross LOL :eek2:
We have some old threads dicussing the bugshields and the general concensus was that they are a waste of money unless you just want them for the looks.

·
Banned
277 Posts
jeep5253 is right. I have the bug shield, it's useless for actually deflecting bugs, but I got it cuz I think it looks good. As for wipers, I put on the Rain-X Latitudes last year and they work really well in the winter. Probably one of the best wipers available:
http://www.rainx.com/Products/Wiper_Blades/Latitude.aspx

·
Registered
139 Posts
*EDIT* Mentioned wrong blade type

I had replaced the factory blades with Trico winter blades and they did not conform to the contour of the windshield very well. The Trico blades left a large covered area at the top and sides of the windshield.

I put up with this for a while but eventually caught Anco Contour blades on a buy one get one free sale. The Anco blades work excellent in warm or cold weather. I think the Anco blades are about $17 each but on a BOGO thats not too spendy.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
When I bought the Commander, I put on Bosch Icon's right away - lasted four years. Had one small void, so I tried the Rain-X Latitude. A litter cheaper than the Bosch, but no comparison, IMHO. As soon as I took possession of my Nitro, I drove down to Autozone and installed Bosch Icon's. When I got it home, I Rain-X'd the windshield. :eek:rangehat:

·
1,993 Posts
WOW I'm on the other end of the wiper debate I guess. My blades were $3 a piece, and there working great and I did go to Chicago over the holidays and they worked up there in the cold and snow too which shocked me. I've had the expensive ones and didn't see the value except when they stopped working I needed a pocket full of cash to replace them. These are so cheap if they leave one streak on my window I'll just put a new on and problem solved. Had these on for 15 months now no sign of needing replacement yet.

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts
WOW I'm on the other end of the wiper debate I guess. My blades were $3 a piece, and there working great and I did go to Chicago over the holidays and they worked up there in the cold and snow too which shocked me. I've had the expensive ones and didn't see the value except when they stopped working I needed a pocket full of cash to replace them. These are so cheap if they leave one streak on my window I'll just put a new on and problem solved. Had these on for 15 months now no sign of needing replacement yet.
Brand ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I guess i'll skip the bugshield and I'll try the rain-x blades. Wondering if rain-x'ing the windshield will help at all with all the splats LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^^ Same mine get eaten up clearing ice and tore up with mud. I'm in the same boat, cheap, easy, and disposable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i buy the cheaper rain x wiper blades. i also have stuff called Crystal Fusion. It somehow makes the glass stronger, and it repells water better than rain-x. when a bug hits it i give a squirt of washer fluid and the bug comes right off.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...Crystal Fusion. It somehow makes the glass stronger...
That sounds fishy, like marketing hype; rubbing a substance on the surface of glass makes it actually stronger?

I do NOT doubt you get good results and its worth using. I'm willing to believe it fills pits and irregulaties in the surface making it smoother, maybe even some sort of reaction or substances to make the surface hardness even a little harder. (unlikely, glass has a pretty high surface hardness)

But it sounds like they are making an argument like painting your house with a thicker stronger paint, adds some extra strength, even though its so little you can't even measure it; but they'll claim it makes your walls stronger, because you can't disprove it.:rofl:

Sure, I could be wrong, but I need some evidence before I believe, at the same time, there are good products out there that I still use, even though the manufacturer makes some goofy claim or hypes it, doesn't mean its a bad product.

·
Super Moderator
14,960 Posts
That sounds fishy, like marketing hype; rubbing a substance on the surface of glass makes it actually stronger?

I do NOT doubt you get good results and its worth using. I'm willing to believe it fills pits and irregulaties in the surface making it smoother, maybe even some sort of reaction or substances to make the surface hardness even a little harder. (unlikely, glass has a pretty high surface hardness)

But it sounds like they are making an argument like painting your house with a thicker stronger paint, adds some extra strength, even though its so little you can't even measure it; but they'll claim it makes your walls stronger, because you can't disprove it.:rofl:

Sure, I could be wrong, but I need some evidence before I believe, at the same time, there are good products out there that I still use, even though the manufacturer makes some goofy claim or hypes it, doesn't mean its a bad product.
I googled it---> http://www.cftproducts.com/index.htm Apparently it is not sold in stores but only through dealers.

Found this, too (read post #1)---> http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2057675 Looks like dealers charge $400. for this treatment.

Also found this---> http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/crystal-fusion-windshield-protection-74221.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts