Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Pioneer deck for my 06 Commander. I want to install it myself. How do I wire the wiring harness? Pics would help.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You buy an aftermarket radio wire harness adapter for your manufacturer/model/year vehicle, you compare the diagrams for the adapter and the wire harness from the aftermarket radio and splice them together according to the diagram.

I highly, highly recommend against cutting the vehicle wire harness and splicing the wires directly to the radio wire harness. Not only is there just not enough room to work with to do that, any mistake or problem you have, could damage a very expensive wire harness that is extraordinarily difficult to replace. Do like everyone else and use the adapter harness, they only cost $15 or there abouts.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
BTW, do you have steering wheel buttons for the stereo? Do you have the high end stereo option with the factory amp? A DVD or Multiple CD deck? A video screen or back up camera? All those things are controlled through the CAN Network, your aftermarket radio will NOT be able to interface with those items.

They do make 3rd party devices that will talk on the CAN Network to give you some functions of the OEM stereo. Or you can just live without those options, But if your Commander has a factory amp then nothing it going to come out of the speaker unless you use a 3rd party device to control the amp or bypass the amp and wire up the speakers yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts