Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jason flexing on a tree stump.

Aaron stuck!

Henry burried in a mud hole trying to fix his winch.

Shawn after driving through the same mud hole Henry got burried in.

...and the carnage!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I'm loving the 2 tone paint scheme you got there!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you need a Stone Soup Metal Works Bumper!
Im trying to decide what's going to come first. New steel bumpers or an Olive Drab paint job. Once the paint job happens i'll be the first two door Commander!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh ? 2 Door ?
Yes, rear doors are being welded shut. Both front and rear fender flares are coming off and fender wells will be trimmed for larger tires. Possibly extending the rear axle back an inch or two. Then the XK will be painted Olive Drab with front and rear steel bumpers. Id also like to pick up a brand new rear dana 44 from the dealer but I want to keep this project as cheap as possible so I can afford the 4 inch lift and 34 inch Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

All welding and fabricating I get done for free through my friend Jason and just have to provide the steel for the bumpers. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Im trying to decide what's going to come first. New steel bumpers or an Olive Drab paint job.
Do your bumpers first and then you can paint them the body color at the same time for a perfect match.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do your bumpers first and then you can paint them the body color at the same time for a perfect match.
Yeah, I guess. But you really cant mess up an Olive Drab paint job.

·
Registered
807 Posts
what is the reason behind welding the doors shut?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Once you get into big lifts and large tires, the tire starts to push forward towards the rear doors. Thats why AEV relocated the rear axle back on their Commander 5 inches. I dont want to extend the wheel base any further then needed. Honestly, I really dont want to do it at all. We will see when the time comes. What I plan on doing is taking off the fenders flares completely. Not sure if you have seen what it looks like under the flares, but its not pretty. Ill be welding the doors shut and fixing the body lines where the flares used to be and then trimming for more tire clearance. At a minimum I want to run 34's on a basic 4 inch lift and have no rubbing at full flex. Possibly even 35's or 36's depending on clearance. I will be replacing the oem plastic inner fender well liners with diamond plate and fabbing the front pinch weld like my buddy jason just did. Then once its done it will be painted Olive Drab. I want to be different and have a bada$$ rig at the same time. Possibly installing a rear dana 44 with ARB locker depending on finances at the time.

I refuse to buy a Wrangler like everyone else just to have a capable off road vehicle. My XK can keep up with Wranglers and FJ's on 35's as it is. Wait till im sitting on 35's!!!

I know the welding job doesnt look all that amazing in that picture but its because he had to work fast while welding that plate in. The back side of that area is where the carpet is behind the glove box area. After that picture was taken the welds were ground down and the entire area was primed and painted with rubberized undercoating. Then he reinstalled the plastic fender well liners and modded them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, we do have NY State inspections, but I dont see how that would be an issue. There wont be any seats back there so it shouldnt matter. When Im done with it, you wouldn't even be able to tell it was a 4 door. Jason is a NY State Certified Inspector. I'll run it by him and see what he says. If its an issue then I'll change my plans and figure out something else.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I'm thinking that an F-150 Raptor has a much cleaner paint scheme than Aaron's S-10!:woot:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jay said the rear doors being welded wouldnt effect state inspections at all. He said the same thing I said earlier. Once he is done with it, it will look look a normal two door SUV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts