Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 265/70/17s and a 2 inch lift...whats the proper wheel to run? A 17X8, with what backspacing? Spacers on stock wheels isnt an option for me, I really dont like spacers. So im trying to source the correct wheels, so I wont rub. What do you guys suggest for a 265/70? I tried searching, but most people run stock wheels with spacers. Thanks-

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With 265/70/17s and a 2 inch lift...whats the proper wheel to run? A 17X8, with what backspacing? Spacers on stock wheels isnt an option for me, I really dont like spacers. So im trying to source the correct wheels, so I wont rub. What do you guys suggest for a 265/70? I tried searching, but most people run stock wheels with spacers. Thanks-
A 17x8 is a perfect wheel for that tire size. However, since we share the same bolt pattern as the JK wrangler, a majority of the wheels you will find have less back spacing meaning they will sit out further and cause rubbing issues on the XK. Honestly, I think you will have rubbing regardless with that tire size. Its nothing a little trimming wont fix though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 17x8 is a perfect wheel for that tire size. However, since we share the same bolt pattern as the JK wrangler, a majority of the wheels you will find have less back spacing meaning they will sit out further and cause rubbing issues on the XK. Honestly, I think you will have rubbing regardless with that tire size. Its nothing a little trimming wont fix though.

Ok..well what would you say is a good backspacing for that tire and a 17X8? 3.5,4.5,5....? I want to stay clear of that pesky bolt that seems to be a issue. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
bump....this is moving slow!
There are some very knowledgeable folks on the forum that may be able to answer your specific question, but if you are in a hurry, try reading this it might help:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8575

It is a sticky in this section of the forum and there are other stickies and discussions on wheel offset and backspacing. Maybe these will help.

I run stock wheels with spydertrax 1.5 inch spacers. I think if you study the offset backspacing discussions that have already been posted, you can figure it out for yourself.

Or talk to a knowledgeable person at a wheel store...you could also check with the Discounttire rep on the forum... try PM him/her.

Or you can continue to complain that people aren't helping you fast enough.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok..well what would you say is a good backspacing for that tire and a 17X8? 3.5,4.5,5....? I want to stay clear of that pesky bolt that seems to be a issue. What do you suggest?
Sorry, I forgot to answer that part of the question. If you could find a 17x8 wheel with a 5x5 bolt pattern and 5 inches of back spacing it would be perfect!!! It might be hard to find a wheel with that back spacing so your next best thing would be that same wheel with 4.5 inches of back spacing. With 4.5 inches of back spacing your tires/wheels will sit out just a hair more then if you were running stock wheels and 1.5 inch spacers. Hope this helps you out!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
thank you for your help sir!
Not a problem!

If you find a wheel with 5 inches of back spacing let me know. I have been looking for a while but didnt find anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why can't Jeep sort the problem out if they are going to continue the Commander untill 2016. They could either change the front suspension or fit wheels with the different offset to the new models and then we could purchase the changes. This company is one of the only ones I have come across that don't listen to owner feedback to improve their product. 90% of the complaints about the Commander is not being able to fit reasonable size tyres to Commander for offroad purposes.
They should maybe come to Australia and try to source a 245 X 65 X 17"tyre in the middle of nowhere, when all the mainstream (Toyota, Mitsubishi etc) use 265 X 65 X 17" tyres. Then if you put one of them on because thats the only tyre available, you risk damaging your drive train. How stupid can a company be, is there any wonder they are in the [removed].:rofl:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If you are going to trim the seem behind the wheel well and reshape the wheelwell with a hot gun, I came across a good way to bend the plastic tight around the AC hoses down there. I used a carpenters hammer wedged against the brake drum to shape the new corner and a rubber hammer that was more rounded to work further in the wheel well next to the frame. Here is a shot...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts