Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Commander without GPS, I want the factory GPS.

I'm talking about the one that goes in the dash, not on top.

Will it be plug and play, im thinking it won't be cause i would have to install gps antenna etc.

Is there a name for this nav unit?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
2006 Commander without GPS, I want the factory GPS.

I'm talking about the one that goes in the dash, not on top.

Will it be plug and play, im thinking it won't be cause i would have to install gps antenna etc.

Is there a name for this nav unit?

Thanks for your help.
You want the REC unit.

Edit: The REC unit was the OEM for 2006 and 2007. Starting with 2008 it was the MyGIG RER unit. You can install a RER unit with a lockpick adapter---> http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_ADAPTER.htm

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
It will be plug and play. The antenna is built into the unit. Why not the one on top of the dash? The one on top is built by Garmin and is a better unit. The in dash unit uses a CD and has a bigger screen and the one on top uses a flash card. I bought the newest update from Garmin on their website - my computer has a flash card slot, so I picked the maps I wanted and dragged them to the flashcard. The in dash unit is over twice as much as the dash top unit, unless you can find a used one, and you have to change your entire dash face plate! The in dash unit is incorporated with the radio, so if one fails, the whole unit becomes useless. Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth. :icon_redface:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I seem to be lost. This lockpick device is for watching dvds while driving?
You can get a lockpick for the RER unit that will let you put in navigation info while driving and let you watch DVDs. Or you can get a lockpick that will let you put the RER MYGIG unit in a 2006 or 2007 model. It will also let you put in the nav info while in motion and let you watch DVDs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If I didn't already have a REC (and I've had one in 2 cars now), I would definitely get something better. The only ONLY thing better about the REC is that it matches and is a stock piece. The RER is a better unit and a Garmin unit can be purchased for well under $200.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's the newer Chrysler Nav. called MyGig (touchscreen, 40gb, etc). You would need to get the low speed bus (I believe) and have lockpick in order for it to work in older vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
There are to many after market units that will fit in the dash giving you a stock look while completely out performing the RER or any stock unit. To spend the money on a RER for what you will pay and get for it is well a waste.
Agreed! The REC NAV unit is based on 10 year old technology, and the updates are outrageously expensive. The RER, while better, needs a lot of hoop-jumping to make it work properly in the older vehicles. I'm going to upgrade to a good aftermarket system from Crutchfield when I have the cash. Have to get married first, that's where my cash is going right now! :D

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Agreed! The REC NAV unit is based on 10 year old technology, and the updates are outrageously expensive. The RER, while better, needs a lot of hoop-jumping to make it work properly in the older vehicles. I'm going to upgrade to a good aftermarket system from Crutchfield when I have the cash. Have to get married first, that's where my cash is going right now! :D
I really liked your idea when I read the above post and started trolling around Crutchfield to see what's available. The more I looked, the more I started to think that, for me, it may be better to just buy a good Garmin GPS and keep the REC system because of its integration with the VES and UConnect phone. Afterall, I'm satisfied, not thrilled, with the CD/Radio/Sirius part and disappointed by the Nav portion. Plus, to the 4-6 systems I looked at, this note was appended:

Installation Details for your 2006 Jeep Commander Sport Utility
» Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver. The integration adapter provides the accessory power you will need for your new receiver.
PAC C2R-CHY4 $129.99
» You'll lose factory SIRIUS Satellite Radio capability if you replace the factory radio.
» If your vehicle is equipped with a factory hands-free cell phone interface, it will be lost if the radio is replaced.
» You'll lose the factory navigation feature if the factory radio is removed.
» The factory DVD entertainment system will still operate if the factory radio is removed. However, you'll only be able to hear DVD audio using the factory headphones

Some of the systems have Bluetooth hands-free phone, so that takes care of the UConnect, but others require an additional outlay for adapters/cables to enable the unit to receive Sirius. A LockPick may address all the compatibility issues. The whole thing is beginning to look a little too daunting for me since I don't have a clue when it comes to installing a moderately complicated sound system. So, I'm bummed, but I think I'll route the money instead to a 2" OME lift and make do with the REC. Hope you can make your system come together. Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are to many after market units that will fit in the dash giving you a stock look while completely out performing the RER or any stock unit. To spend the money on a RER for what you will pay and get for it is well a waste.
Agreed. I ended up installing a Clarion NZ500 (single DIN, I like the idea of being able to hide I have a "nice" HU). I've been extremely happy with it. I purchased it from Crutchfield, which was great because they have lifetime tech support with every purchase. It took me about 7 hours to install (I had never done an installation before and took advantage of the tech support twice).
The 7 hours included two 11" headrest monitors and a back-up camera.

Everything (including the monitors) cost a little less than $1000. I have two toddler boys and turning on a movie gives us some, otherwise unattainable, peace and quiet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to go with a 3'rd party double din. I've been scoping units out for the past 6 months, and was not really impressed with the factory units at all.

I've get everything minus the radio sitting in the basement waiting for me to find the right unit ( since Sept )

In order to drop in a 3'rd party unit, you'll need

New Dash ( if you didn't have the Nav radio before ) - $130 on Ebay

CanBus adapter for the wiring - $70 ebay

Antenna adapter ( makes the jeep antenna plug convert to normal antenna )$5

Double Din radio face plate kit - $20 on ebay

Radio - $$$ ( plan to get the AVIC-Z120BT )

http://in-dash-navigation-review.toptenreviews.com/

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Both of these units cost around $2000. In my opinion, not worth the money. Plus, having all the units combined into one - radio, CD, NAV - if one part fails, the whole unit is useless. I had to have my whole radio replaced under warranty because the 6 disc unit jammed. :sick:

JeepJorge;186068Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver. The integration adapter provides the accessory power you will need for your new receiver. PAC C2R-CHY4 $129.99 You'll lose factory SIRIUS Satellite Radio capability if you replace the factory radio. If your vehicle is equipped with a factory hands-free cell phone interface said:
These are the reasons I went with the Navus by Mopar unit. All of the above is true. I have UConnect, Sirius, and the rear VES, and did not want to lose any of these functions with complete integration. I do all of the map upgrades myself, as Garmin no longer provides preloaded flash cards for sale. It is fine for what I need it for, although the screen could be larger. It sits on top of the dash, so is in my line of sight. I don't have to look down to see it. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts