Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I left for work with no problems.

When I went to lunch however, the Commander would not shift out of first gear. PRND was all boxed and highlighted. I held the shifter hard right and it went into drive.

As I started driving it went back to the afore mentioned PRND all boxed and highlighted and back into first gear.

I stopped, shut the engine off and restarted it. I got going and it happened again. Once more I pulled off the road and parked. I shut the engine off then restarted it. I let it warm up before going again. No problems until I had to slow to take a left turn. I stayed on the gas just enough and if finally shifted and drove fine.

The outside temp right now is 22 degrees.

All this is associated with hard shifting from park to reverse and then reverse to drive. After driving a while everything seems fine.

Also, the check engine light is on and I get a notice to service the park assist system.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Check to make sure the park assist sensors aren't dirty.

Then, if you don't have an OBD II scanner, go to your local AutoZone and have them pull the codes for your check engine light. This will give us some further information.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jeeper64, sounds exactly like whats happening.

The code for that appears to be P0700.

Transaxle control system fault.

ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault.

Probable causes:

1 Shorted or open circuit within the transaxle

2 Failure of transaxle control module

-----------------------------------

The engine light on code is P0404. EGR system fault.

Probable causes:

1 Failed EGR position sensor

2 Open or short circuit conditon

3 Failed EGR valve

4 Failed EGR pressure sensore where applicable

5 Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well they have to order the shift control module and it is on back order. There were several other codes thrown so they did a complete up to date flash on the computer.

I don't know exactly what updates I received, but my gas mileage has already increased by 2-3 mpg. It shifts smoother too.

I'm glad I bought the extended warrenty. It would have cost nearly $600 but with my deductable and the charge for flashing the computer I got away with only having to pay about $200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the exact same problem about a 1000 miles into my Commander and it was a warm day in Texas. It went away after I let it sit for a while. I do remember that it started when I had a hard shift from reverse to drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts