Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading numerous forums regarding lifts it seems it is not nearly as easy as just buying a lift kit and installing. It seems many issues can happen and much more tuning is needed?

My actual question is does the 2" or 4" inch lift really give you the edge on trails/offroading? opposed to the same XK without a lift but just offroad tires?

If I am wrong in any way please correct me as I am not nearly as knowledgable about offroading or the XK's then many people on this forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I never understood the whole "lift kit" thing. Maybe its just something im missing but the way I see it, the differentials and axles would still be the same distance from the ground with or without a lift, so whats the point?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just drive your Jeep as is. If after some wheeling you will find a limitation in your Commander then you know what needs to needs upgraded.
It is a very capable Truck as is but even a bit of lift saves beating it up so much getting it over an obstacle. I find the stock height to be ridiculous. Adding 2" brings it up to a height it should have cam from the factory...but then I don't see many people wheeling them around here so what do I know. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Your right, technically putting a lift kit on wont give you anymore ground clearance from the axles. The reason why people lift their jeeps is to get more ground clearance from the body and also allows for bigger tires. And bigger tires equals more ground clearance for the axles.

As far as the lift goes, Rough Country makes a great and pretty cheap spacer lift that most people on the forum run. It cost ~180$ shipped, and as far as I know, no one has had any problems with the all steel spacers. Then there is the more expensive OME lift that runs for ~800$ and apparently the ride is better than stock. I, myself have about 5,000 miles on mine. All I did after the install was get an Alignment. The lift kit might make the ride stiffer though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I see both sides, I don't want to say I will NEVER left my XK because I also think it should have more clearance from the factory as well. However, It will more than likely be one of the last mods I do as I do not do much off roading or rock climbing; I just am in love the offroad look in SUVs/Trucks :p

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Clearance under the belly is where you need it. The axles move with the tires.

You can drive over a 14" diameter log with a stock commander, your axle clearance wont be a problem. But once that front comes down off that log you'll be stuck because the body of the vehicle doesn't have the necessary clearance.

Same holds for rocks. There are plenty of "mild" trails I go on and barely have enough clearance under the body to clear the rocks. As a matter of fact, I don't have enough clearance because my skid plates take a good beating. If I didn't have a 2+ inch lift, I'd probably get hi-centered everytime I go off-road.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I had a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Stock, it offered close to 1.5" more clearance from the diff to the ground than my stock commander. Adding the lift leveled it (I don't know why they sloped it in the first place) and added about 1" of clearance above the stock GC. The 2" RC lift didn't change the feel of the drive or stability and the angles on the CV are negligible to have any adverse affect mechanically. Also, the approach/departure angles are much better with it lifted a couple of inches. Particularly in front. This is the most pronounced advantage that I have seen.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Only thing I'm afraid of with buying a lift is having problems putting it on. It'll be quite expensive to have a shop do it, and doing it myself could be quite difficult as I'm a novice. I'd be especially ticked if one of the bolts was seized up like I've seen happen to other people.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Only thing I'm afraid of with buying a lift is having problems putting it on. It'll be quite expensive to have a shop do it, and doing it myself could be quite difficult as I'm a novice. I'd be especially ticked if one of the bolts was seized up like I've seen happen to other people.
It wasn't cheap but I had my tire provider put it on and they charged 350 dollars. I think they wish they had charged more. It was the kind of thing they don't get to do too often and they were all fired up about how it looked when it was done and had 255/70/17s on it. They did a great job.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you're into off-roading, a lift is well worth it.

I have 33" tires installed, and that ain't gonna' happen with stock.

The ride gets leveled out with a kit. The front lifts a lot more than the back, so it sits level. And, with the new tires, which are about 4" taller than stock, I'm almost 12" under the axle now. And, the track is about 4" wider with the offset wheels. The tires are right at the fender edges, instead of being tucked under 2"

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the 2" lift looks amazing on the commander especially with new tires. However, for a good lift plus tires we are talking about a pretty penny. I definitely will left my XK eventually but it all depends on when I have that kind of money laying around :p

Right now my only offroad is snow and minor dirty/mud when driving up the mountains.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't want to say I will NEVER lift my XK because I also think it should have more clearance from the factory as well. However, It will more than likely be one of the last mods I do as I do not do much off roading or rock climbing
Yeeeaaaahhh. So how did that work out for ya buddy? :domotwak:

Matt's mission = accomplished :icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
its all about flex
A lift has nothing to do with how much flex you have. The advantage of the lift is body clearance.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I never understood the whole "lift kit" thing. Maybe its just something im missing but the way I see it, the differentials and axles would still be the same distance from the ground with or without a lift, so whats the point?
With the XK having independent front suspension, you gain several inches of clearance under the front axle but adding a lift. Also the main benifit of a lift is belly clearance. The axles get lifted off the ground once you add larger tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you're into off-roading, a lift is well worth it.

I have 33" tires installed, and that ain't gonna' happen with stock.

The ride gets leveled out with a kit. The front lifts a lot more than the back, so it sits level. And, with the new tires, which are about 4" taller than stock, I'm almost 12" under the axle now. And, the track is about 4" wider with the offset wheels. The tires are right at the fender edges, instead of being tucked under 2"
Adondo, If your signature is correct, you dont have 33 inch tall tires. That tire size would be around 32 inches.

I have 33's on mine with the OME lift and there was a lot that needed to be done to get them to fit without rubbing. And I noticed in your pics that you dont have any of that done.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The lift alone with stock tires raises everything from the unibody up so it adds clearane to the the under belly. But you are right, mostly the diffs and the rest of the running gear would retain stock clearance. But the lift allows for taller tires.

I upgraded to 32 inch tires. Stock tires are 29.5" tall. So that gave me 1.25 inches of lift ( half of 32-29.5) for the diffs and the rest of the running gear and a total of 3.5" of lift for the body.

32 inch tires is about the max for a 2 inch lift and it can not be done without doing some "clearancing" in the front wheel wells. I paid for the installation but some people do their own. Yes, it is more than just spending $200 on a lift. Bigger tires cost more and reduce your mpgs.

(Didn't see the other posts. Some of mine is redundant.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The Commander is very capable as stock. You might want to run stock to see what it can do and consume the stock tires first. Just be careful not to hit the under belly. Go slow, not like you see guys do on tv on the baja. Select your tract. If you don't have full armor on the belly, you can get into some expensive repairs off-roading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts