Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as a soon to be new jeep owner I'd like to know what mods I should get, if any, over stock. I see many here are getting the K&N filters etc. Ever notice any actual difference? Don't the K&Ns let a lot more dirt into the engine? I don't want to have to spend a lot or go some place to have a professional install something. Just looking for a few alterations that might increase the MPG while on a field trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My last vehicle was an SRT8 Charger with the 6.1L Hemi. After doing a Diablo Tuner mod and AirRaid CAI, I went on a road trip to Fla. Averaged 20.1 mpg(trip computer) doing 80 mph at approx 2200 rpm, not to mention how those mods woke that big dawg up. Now, I have an '06 Limited 4.7l, and am planning another road trip to Fla in June. I am shooting for the same results with a K & N CAI and the new Superchips tuner.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My last vehicle was an SRT8 Charger with the 6.1L Hemi. After doing a Diablo Tuner mod and AirRaid CAI, I went on a road trip to Fla. Averaged 20.1 mpg(trip computer) doing 80 mph at approx 2200 rpm, not to mention how those mods woke that big dawg up. Now, I have an '06 Limited 4.7l, and am planning another road trip to Fla in June. I am shooting for the same results with a K & N CAI and the new Superchips tuner.
How much of a mileage increase did you get in the charger?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have also heard that the K&N air filters let in more dirt and particles then the standard paper filter.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have also heard that the K&N air filters let in more dirt and particles then the standard paper filter.
Although I am not a big fan of K&N, I do strongly believe the filters capabilitys will meet or possibly exceed the factory filter.
I have never seen any evidence of debris getting through their filters.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Although I am not a big fan of K&N, I do strongly believe the filters capabilitys will meet or possibly exceed the factory filter.
I have never seen any evidence of debris getting through their filters.

Rob
I use K&N all the time and have the same opinion as you but have heard that they dont work as well and let more particles in. I have not seen anyone prove it yet, just rumor!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen it. I had a F-150 on our farm growing up and when I'd remove the filter the tube would have dirt over the inside. However I was in dust that was extremely thick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My best guess on the mileage increase would be in the 2-3 range. I was concerned about the warranty as well, but my understanding is that the warranty would not cover changes made that might affect the vehicle in some way but would not invalidate the warranty itself. I believe this language is written into your factory warranty and from the manufacturers of the aftermarket items.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have seen it. I had a F-150 on our farm growing up and when I'd remove the filter the tube would have dirt over the inside. However I was in dust that was extremely thick.
Well now, that would (and does) cause me great concern.
If you found any dust in the intake tract, you can rest assured a great deal of ingestion has taken place. Not a good thing, and Hell on rings, and cyl bores.

As I said, I'm not a fan of the product, but this has always been from the standpoint of they are a PITA to clean and correctly oil, not because of poor filtering.

My older son owns a demolition co. all Caterpiller equipment.
He and I share a somewhat fanatical belief regarding the capability of OEM air and oil filters, IE, its all we'll use.
When performing filter service on his equipment, we have never found any evidence of ingestion.
And, I'll tell ya, the dirt that pours out of those 3ft tall filters can be measured in pounds!
BTW, these filters can and are dry cleaned about 6 times before they must be replaced.

Anyways, if any who are following this thread have found evidence of ingestion, please report it.
I'm serious as a heart attack when I tell you this will cause unimaginable wear that would not be considered as warranty.

A truly interesting read,

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind that wasn't in your daily environment. On the farm the dust is EXTREMELY fine dust and in clouds so think you can't even see the machinery in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
K&N test

I've been using K&N filters in various vehicles over the last 10yrs with no problems. I just purchased my Commander and it was the first mod I made mainly because the old filter was black. Here is an interesting test I found though...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I've been using K&N filters in various vehicles over the last 10yrs with no problems. I just purchased my Commander and it was the first mod I made mainly because the old filter was black. Here is an interesting test I found though...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Wow!

Excellent article and very eye opening.
Others on the forum know I tend to be OEM oriented and this particular testing method supports my thoughts.

Not yet cast in stone, but most compelling.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
936 Posts
you have to take into account whats "worthy" to us may not be a good mod for you...ie: many people on here have 4" lifts full exhaust bigger tires and CAI....which is fine and dandy but for me the 4" lift isn't great for loading the kid...so the best thing would be to weigh your options and figure out what you want out of your stallion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts