Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a commander last year. Looking for a new winter tires for stock 17” rims. I see that the stock size is 245/65R17 but the dealership sold my 08 commander sport with 265/65r17 on. So should I get the stock(245/65r17) size or the 265/65r17

·
Registered
21 Posts
A few thoughts (and those on this forum with greater knowledge should and likely will chime in) --

1. A 265 width tire on the stock Commander wheel often rubs on the suspension and so can require a spacer. Is the current tire fitting without rubbing or interference? Because of variances in tire widths and height, although your current tire doesn't rub, a different brand and type of tire might. So you would need to keep this in mind. You can use tiresize.com to compare the widths of different brand tires. In addition, this forum has a posting showing what size tires fit both a stock Commander as well as ones with different height lifts (do a search and you will find).

2. My experience has been that, all things being equal, skinnier tires are generally better for traction in snow. This would argue in favor of getting tires in the stock size of 245/65r17. But this really depends on the tire. When I have purchased dedicated winter tires, i have always bought the stock size or even a width size narrower (but with a higher aspect ratio to maintain the same overall tire height).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts