Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're close to pulling the trigger. Will travel ~30 miles from home (and past a half dozen other Jeep dealers) to look at the only loaded 28U package Sport model we could find.
Problem is the leather seats. Cant stand leather interiors, Much prefer fabric. Can't get all the extra goodies though unless you get leather though. We plan on asking the dealer to swap out the grey leather seats with the fabric ones in another lower priced Sport model. I know we will lose the heating elements for the fronts in the deal, but can not think of any other downsides.
Anyone have an opinion on asking for such a swap? Oh....plenty of Limited models around, but don't like the chrome on the rack, wheels and liftgate.
Thanks, -Steve

·
Registered
473 Posts
if you plan on having a dog in your vehicle then i would go with the leather. the hair gets caught in the cloth and its almost impossible to get it out. i'd trade but i'm in pittsburgh

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Kind of a odd request, I would think that if they swapped out seats it would probaly be a wash, due to labor of removal and installing seats. Leather seats are a lot easier to keep clean.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Where are you located? I'll swap with you since my fabric seats are heated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree on him about not liking leather. It gets hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it doesnt have a long life span if its not properly taken care of. Yes, its great for resisting stains and dirt, but if leather does manage to get stained there is almost nothing you can do about it. Leather looks great, but hey, i dont like my seat 100 degrees when i get in my vehicle on a summer day.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BigRed said:
I agree on him about not liking leather. It gets hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it doesnt have a long life span if its not properly taken care of. Yes, its great for resisting stains and dirt, but if leather does manage to get stained there is almost nothing you can do about it. Leather looks great, but hey, i dont like my seat 100 degrees when i get in my vehicle on a summer day.
I live in super hot and toasty AZ and leather is not a problem, I don't know if its the fact that the dash on the Commander sits so far forward, the fact that I have a handy Jeep sunshade that I put up when I am parked outside, or what... but the leather has never caused a problem for me in my Commander. As far as in the winter... thats why the leather seating is heated. Works like a charm!

And your argument that leather doesn't have a long life span is just silly. Anything that isn't taken care of will eventually fall apart.

And anything that stains leather is going to stain cloth that much worse.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am glad you invested in a window shade, and maybe the commander's styling is good at keeping the sun off the seats, I don't know. I am also happy that your pleased with your heated seats. I couldn't ever get the temp right, they always got to hot, hence my disbelief in the level of satisfactory that they provide. As far as the wearing of leather...
I think there was a post on how some people's leather seats were already cracking, or was that on another form? I just know ive heard it happen. Leather gets more ragged looking alot faster than cloth unless it is constantly pampered. Yes, down the road ten years cloth fades and may some bald spots in it, but in the same time leather seats get cracks and get scuffed and sometimes look like theyve gone thru hell.
Oh, and you can always dump a load of carpetcleaner on cloth. If anything penetrates that leather you are basically out of luck. I know! Its happened to me. I'm not trying to hostile or filling anyone full of bs. I am just telling my opionion and the bad luck ive had with leather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've personally never seen a car more than 5 years old that had "nice" looking leather seats. I've seen more than a few 2000 Jeep XJ's (Same year as mine.) with leather seats that lookd horrible. Not that my OEM fabric still looks new, but it has held up way better than the leather I've seen.
Usually, the pattern in the upholstery acts as "camo" for stains. Solid color leather would be quite different.
Our nearest dealer has 22 Commanders in stock. All but 5 are Limiteds/Overlands, and the 5 sports all have leather. The fabric upholstered models must have ben the hot sellers! -SF

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can no longer get heated cloth?! As much as I hate how easily the cloth stains. I'd rather just get a nice set of seat covers and put on cloth than leather...and have to pay for the up charge for the leather.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I may be able to help you.

I swapped out my 65th edition cloths seats fabric for a leather kit when the vehicle was about a month old. They are in perfect condition. I have been meaning to list them on Ebay.

You can get a local guy to do the work for you. This way I believe you can keep the heating feature. PM me if you are interested.

From what I was told by the dealer it is too difficult to swap out the actual seats because of the vehicle computer or something. I was trying to buy used leather seats. Not sure if true but whoever I asked about swapping the seats gave me the same feedback that it was not worth it. Thats is why I just swapped out the fabric. Others on the board may have a dfferent take.

Let me know

·
Registered
476 Posts
I prefer the leater also. Never have a problem with seats being too hot or too cold. I use a sun shade when parked at work and we are having 100+ degree heat right now :eek:

I have never had a problem with leather looking bad or cracking. This is the third vehicle with leather in it and no problems. I use Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner every 2 months. I will agree that leather may not be for those who do not have time to give them a little extra TLC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BigRed said:
that's what the auto start & heated seats are for! (get that AC going in the summer or the HEAT going in the winter) lol....j.k. some people just don't like leather, but I am a leather lover! I agree with the mass...if you don't want leather, but want all the other ops, I'd just go for the seat covers which will probably be the cheapest route. Swapping out seats and so forth can get pretty pricy once you start considering labor...that is unless you can find someone on here who lives nearby and is up for the deal! As far as what some other people are talking about with the leather holding up...you have to pamper the seats...gotta use the cleaner and conditioner to keep it top notch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts