Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get a cammander in the next few days but the vehichle I want with the options is hard to come by i guess. Im looking at the 65th. ed. quadra trac1 or 2.

Anyway, the dealor suggested 5 just get the base model and let them cut the sunroof in. They said they had been doing it for a long time, but that the camman view skylights would be harder and the were hesitant.

Would you guys let someone cut up your vehicle or just get it from the factory?

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get a factory roof, period, do not, repeat do not let them cut you a roof, are there good non factory roofs, yes, are there good installers, yes but do you want to risk your new ride if either is bad, no. In my opinion order a ride with a factory roof, I don't know about the dealers in your area but here there overstocked, they should be able to find a vehicle with close to what you want for options w/ a roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep hounding them to find you a 65th, the sunroof is a no charge item on that. I'd take my 65th over a loaded up base model anyday. I love the only black trim being the roof rack and the fact that there is only one strip of chrome. Maybe I'm biased... :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is unanimous.....get the factory roof.

DO NOT LET DEALERS CUT YOUR COMMANDER!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have added many roofs to Commanders and they have all turned out great! Maybe its just the amount of roofs that the aftermarket company that works with us does? Not sure, but if thats your only option dont hesitate to do it.

I would suggest not missing out on a factory roof AND the command view, its a great feature and is worth the money. If its a roof you are after, get one with it allready on there, not because of the worry, but because its done and you are going to pay for it anyway whether its factory or aftermarket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would never have another after market sun roof cut again. Years ago I had it done and it never quite came out right. The inside finishing doesn't come out looking the same as from the factory and there are always chances of leaking. The first time it rains you will spend the entire time checking for leaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a roof cut into an old E Class once - utter disaster area. Wasn't by an MB dealer (they don't do that sort of thing) and it creaked in the hot weather and leaked when it got very cold weather. Also I'm sure that it would probably void your paintwork etc. warranty.

Patience will be worth it I'm sure, in the UK it is taking 10-12 weeks from time of order to get from factory (not sure where the UK ones are built). Is there much longer leadtime in the US.

And if you can go for the rear smaller ones with the roller blind covers I'd have them too - can't believe that the savings would be that much over a factory order one.

Good luck in your hunt

·
Registered
46 Posts
get a 65th edition . i have one and lots of other things too that i like over the base. not nuts about the satin black finish on the door handles and you get the fog lights and the tow hooks standard on the 65th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts