Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife is hating the pitting that has happened on her rims. I found a good deal on Craigslist and I am wondering if they fit. I have read a lot on here about wheels and still cant find a scenario like mine. Maybe I missed it if it's in here. We are not putting a lift on her Commander. We will be keeping the stock rubber which I believe are 245/65r/17. The rims I found are stamped on the back 17x7.5 44.45. I know the size and with are the same as what are on her Commander now. What I am not sure of is the off set and if it will make anything rub or rub on the caliper. The guy selling them measured the backspace and said it measured 6" from the back of the rim to the mounting surface. I believe this 44.45mm off set puts the rim closer to outside of the Jeep. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We have only had this Commander for 2 months so I have not had the time to take anything apart and really get into it. Working with out a garage in the winter in Buffalo is not a fun thing to do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought i saw a post on here where someone said you need to use wheel spacers with the wrangler rims because the inside lip, hits the caliper. I may be thinking about the rubicon wheels though.. Hopefully someone chimes in.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
IIRC the caliper clearance may be an issue with no spacer. a slip on 1/4" spacer should be more than enough. I have seen instances where people have taken 1/8" off the caliper with a grinder, it really is a very small amount making contact.

Otherwise you are perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Commander8-completely off topic, but I feel your pain. My family is from South Buffalo, the winter there definitely sucks. I'll let you know the next time I'm up there...always gotta stop and get a "real" pizza from Partners and an A-Bomb from John and Mary's! We have some land down in Bliss and some in Angelica, not a lot of trails but a little bit of fun.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The backspace on OEM XK rims are 6" AFAIK.

My aftermarket rims have a backspace of 5" which of course moves the wheels out away from the body.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a set of 17" wrangler take offs (P255/75R/17) on mine today. I used a 10mm spacer in the front to get past the caliper issue. (no issue in the back). The tire clearance and the wheel well is less than 1/8" of an inch when turning. I am worried about 10mm less of lug bolt length. I cant find any lug bolts that are longer either. I have a 2" OME lift kit coming, so once thats on, Ill ditch the spacers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am worried about 10mm less of lug bolt length.
hey its not a bmw buddy! lol :nerd:

would be kind of hard to get that lug bolt into the wheel stud mounted in the hub..

i put a set of late model rubicons on my commander the other day.. zero modifications. no lift.. no spacers.. no grinding... the tolerances are very very close.. i spun all the wheels before i drove on it and didnt see or hear any rubbing , grinding, screaming engine meltdown.. nothin

not sure how this would work on every commander...

·
Registered
55 Posts
2016 Rubis did not fit over the front brakes in my 2017 Hemi 4x4. Glad to hear it worked out for you! I though about spacers for a bit, but ended up getting wheels with the backspace/offset that I want.

Pictures!

·
Registered
68 Posts
2016 Rubis did not fit over the front brakes in my 2017 Hemi 4x4. Glad to hear it worked out for you! I though about spacers for a bit, but ended up getting wheels with the backspace/offset that I want.

Pictures!
i need to get some pictures up...

was the fitment close? to me if anything is getting close to rubbing it is just the seam in the middle of the brake were the caliper was cast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very close, trimming the caliper 1/4 inch would have probably been enough. Which I wasn't entirely inclined to do ha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts